Something I've noticed:

Checkmate

While reading the thread about the Origin Awards a lot of people have said that Champions isn't the best supplement, typically people say Star Hero is, but one person said the UMA (don't remember who). I started thinking about this, while I agree that Star Hero is probably the best IMHO, why did I not even put the UMA in the running? The more I thought about it I decided that it was because I felt I didn't really need it. If you have 4th ed UMA 5th doesn't give you a whole lot more. I loved 4th ed UMA and it was my most used book. If I didn't have it I probably would have said 5th ed UMA was the best or tied with the best book. Anyone else notice themselves doing this?

I tend to like the Ultimate books the least, myself. Too many optional rules. If a rule isn't in the main book, I won't use it just on principal (mainly because I don't want to carry around pages of notes or multiple books to my game sessions, nevermind try to hunt down specific things in "the pile" during play). This kind of limits their usefulness to me.

My personal take on this is that Star Hero was a major improvement from its previous version (for 3rd edition if memory serves). I have both SH and UMA, and I think UMA is great, but since we're not doing any martial arts games, I haven't gotten into UMA like SH, or TUV. Another way to lok at it: SH and TUV quantified a previously vague area(s) in the Hero system - non-supers. Thats why I call it "Best" of the year.

In fact, I was floored when I first heard that SH would come out before Fantasy Hero. I thought for sure Hero/DOJ would want a product to compete against all the other fantasy stuff on the market. Hm... maybe thats why SH came out first in the first place.

Arooooo

We chose SH first for several reasons:

1. Gives us more time to get our feet under us and an advertising budget in place for FH, which is probably a more "important" product in terms of the number of sales to us.

2. Gave us the chance to "practice" on another large genre book. I am absolutely positive, now that I'm writing FH, that it will be markedly better than it might otherwise have been (which would still be pretty damn good:)) because I did SH first.

3. The science fiction gaming market isn't dominated by one major product like fantasy is. In fact, there's no real dominant product at all. We're hoping we might be able to stake out a significant chunk of market share thusly.

Originally posted by Steve Long

We chose SH first for several reasons:

1. Gives us more time to get our feet under us and an advertising budget in place for FH, which is probably a more "important" product in terms of the number of sales to us.

2. Gave us the chance to "practice" on another large genre book. I am absolutely positive, now that I'm writing FH, that it will be markedly better than it might otherwise have been (which would still be pretty damn good:)) because I did SH first.

3. The science fiction gaming market isn't dominated by one major product like fantasy is. In fact, there's no real dominant product at all. We're hoping we might be able to stake out a significant chunk of market share thusly.

Well, I for one am glad it came out first. I think you and the team did a great job on SH! Like all things, not everyone agrees with everything in there, and there's always room for improvement, but it's my genre of preference, so I'm happy :)

That being said, I can't wait for FH and the Spacers Toolkit to come out!!

Okay, this is corny, and you folks can feel free to bust on me off list if you want, but I have not been this excited about gaming in quite a number of years (ShadowRun 1st ed. if I recall).

Aroooo

Some thoughts.....

Checkmate

I'm with Yamo on this one. I wouldn't use Martial Arts enough to really like carrying around an extra book just for the extra maneuvers and rules. Therefore, I would never have voted for UMA under any circumstances. On the other hand, I didn't vote for Star HERO, which I normally would have, because of the unification reasons Steve talked about in the request for our help. Unfortunately, the Origin awards are important and the fact that HERO games was snubbed is totally unacceptable to me. If for no other reason than that, I voted in a way that would send the message to the Academy (or whatever governing body it is) that the HERO system has a very loyal fanbase and we don't appreciate the oversight on their part.

Steve and Aroooo

Star HERO was absolutely fantastic! To me it is the definitive science fiction role-playing work. The chapters on planet and system building were amazing. Very well researched and written. I only hope that Fantasy HERO has as much impact as Star HERO did.

Originally posted by Aroooo

Okay, this is corny, and you folks can feel free to bust on me off list if you want, but I have not been this excited about gaming in quite a number of years (ShadowRun 1st ed. if I recall).

I hear ya. There's a snowball's chance of my players ever wanting to play FH, yet I have such fond memories of my old campaign that I'm dying to see the new version.

With any luck I can push them that direction and away from D20 for a while. But I want the latest tools before I make my case.

While my opinion of Sh is markedly and drastically different than the other posters here, I think it was a great idea for HERO to make a serious stab at expanding into the SCIFI RPG market. I think they are dead on as to the potential there and hope the whole Terran Empires line works for them.

More SCIFI source material is always a good thing. heck, it even has marvelous tie in potential for supers campaigns... IMO moreso than fantasy would.