Mechanon Dies..finally!

DrSavant

Each of us has a favorite story of how the BIG M met his demise. I wondered if anyone wanted to share theirs?

Mine?:

Mechanon was approached by GALACTUS, who offered Mechanon the chance to be his herald, IF he would help Galactus to 'eat' the Earth.

Since Mechanon hates organic life he agreed. He began with the idea of covering the entire Earth with a highly potent poisonous gas that would put everyone in the world to sleep. But there was 1 flaw, the formula would be easily countered by a rare element- moon rocks (just follow for a moment)

Mechanon went around detroying ALL the moon rocks in the world then he contacted Galactus and prepared the poison. The PC's searched for moon rocks and found NONE left. Except 1 source, that Mechanon didn't know of.

A young (newbie & reformed) hero had elements of moon rocks in him [his name was Eclipse]. He jumped into the liquid and neutralized the poison.

For his failure Mechanon was completely destroyed by Galactus.

Mine comes from that timeperiod before I understood the need for caps on power or really understood certain things about random chance.

One of the PC's at that time had an 8d6 RKA. I had adopted a "critical hit" rule that said if you made an attack roll by better than half the attack did the maximum damage. I was also using the hit location table, complete with the prospect of doing X2 Body if shot hit the head.

I was using the Mechanon writeup in the BBB.

I'll be you can see where this is going...

It would certainly be within Galactus' capabilities to destroy all of Mechanon's backup facilities along with the original, and considering the goal, he probably would. Although I don't recall Galactus ever punishing a herald with death in the comics.

But even if Mechanon's head was destroyed, even if by an 8d6 RKA, he could come back. Worse, he'd come back able to resist an 8d6 RKA!

I'll probably be stoned by the throngs of Herophiles present, but I used Mechanon as a throwaway. When I first started I had a thing for using my own villains and the ones in the books were pretty much there to get squashed for dramatic effect. So I had a tendancy to set up a situatin where the heroes had moral judgments to make, and if they failed, the villain might be destroyed. So hot on the heels of an incident in which the shrinking character from 1e was killed (Shrinker?), I gave the characters a chance to redeem themselves. Unfortunately, I chose mechanon for this.

Keep in mind there was no internet, or at least not as we knew it. So I made up an idea that Mechanon could control electronic devices all over the world using a machine (whose mechanics I didn't bother to build for game purposes). So here he is threatening entire city power grids, nuclear reactors, etc. Then the twist is that the machine becomes too big for mechanon. It becomes too intelligent and the heroes need to join with Mechanon against it.

So there's a scene where the thing finally turns on him, and it decides to try and crush him beneath the massive door that sealed it's room. Mechanon is in this thing, pinned down, and promising to assist the heroes, when they decide that he is a bigger problem than the machine and begin to blast the 0DCV mechanon to smithereens, pushing their blasts and KAs.

So I had to rewrite the ending. Fact was, there was no way in HELL they were going to defeat it now. I'd just made it that tough. So for plot purposes, the machine became omniscient and disperesed across the powergrids of the world, to live on in everything electronic. Sounds like I was being too nice, but it was either that or destroy the heroes, which was certain if they got through that door (that mechanon was crushed beneath).

So to this day my old game group happily tell the tale of how they defeated mechanon, when if I'd kept to the script, they'd be telling about the time they were boneheads and ignored all the plot threads and were killed as a result.

And I've never told that story until now. Hope none of them are reading :o

My telekinetic threw him through a 40th story wall, and held him as she rammed him into the pavement far below. I was pretty pleased with myself until 2 turns later when Im standing in front of the elevator doors, they open (on a speed 1 with a dex of LAST) and a really pissed Mechanon on a held action nails her from behind with surprise and no held action.

But, that is still our group record for taking out Mechanon even if it wasnt for long.

Guest cubist

Heck, the most throwaway death I've ever heard of for Mechanon was from one of the Old Champions books or comics, where he was killed by being hit with a car for christ's sake!

I was running a game where mechnon was real smart. He went to the heroes and called them out at there own base (the nerve of that guy.) They fought hard and managed to defeat him. One of the players got a “lucky†shot in and killed him. The truth is he wanted to rune the new champions so he created device that let him place his “intelligence†in other devices but it had a short range. At the end of the fight he jumps in the PC’s base computer. Over the course of the next few adventures bad things happen. The PC’s don’t respond to several distress calls quick enough. The jet breaks down all kind of silly stuff. Mechonon planed on discrediting them so people would stop supporting heroes and he could better destroy all life. Here is where the bad thing happens… One of the players thinks the computer got a virus and with no warning downloads the entire base computer into a back up computer with no network access. Mechnon is trapped in a computer and can not escape. The PC’s actually took him out. It was great. They did not figure out it was Mechnon for about two more weeks.

Peace

Bryan