The Woo Ping Factor

morgann

After ending the most recent campaign with my group, in which only 1 of them died in the "Final Showdown", we have decided to do something a bit different with the next game.

We are going to keep it in the C:tNM timeline, and use the rules in the C:tNM book. We may inclue a power or two of our own creation, depending on what we can come up with using the book first.

We are all very big fans of Yuen Woo Ping's films, and they have decided they would like to play a game with the same sort of style/power level. So we are setting the game in an unnamed island nation in asia, and the characters will be low level supers with powers stemming from kung fu ability.

The three movies that we would like to emulate specifically are: Crouching Tiger, the Matrix, and Fist of Legend. I know the timeframes are fairly different, but we are willing to ignore that. We arent trying to play the movies, jsut emulate their characters.

Here is a list of powers Ive come up with so far, after (many) multiple viewings of the named films. Any additions would be welcome.

note: I havent really worked out Bullet Time yet. Im thinking it can easily be achieved with both Extra Actions for the most part, with a beefed up Dodge Action added to replicate the Rooftop Bullet Dodge scene.

Wirework (Clinging + Surface Float): Allows a character to move along any surface as if it were level and solid. Moving while using this power is always at your normal Running movement.

Super leap: This power supplements a characters natural Jumping distance.

Aid (Strength): Allows a character to raise their Physical for the purpose of performing feats of strength.

Aid (Reflex): Allows a character to raise their Mental for the purpose of Initiative, etc.

Extra Actions: Allows a character to perform extra actions in a Phase. (New)

I would rather do 3 peoples taxes then use HERO 5e, though. It would be a lot less math, and the government is a lot more friendly when you short change them then your average HERO player.

Nothing against everyone here. I played with the BBB for years. I have just realised that for me personally, sometimes less is more. Especially when "less" is less downtime debating rules, creating powers, and teaching the spreadsheet that is a HERO CS to 5 other people. :D

Originally posted by morgann

I would rather do 3 peoples taxes then use HERO 5e, though. It would be a lot less math, and the government is a lot more friendly when you short change them then your average HERO player.

Nothing against everyone here. I played with the BBB for years. I have just realised that for me personally, sometimes less is more. Especially when "less" is less downtime debating rules, creating powers, and teaching the spreadsheet that is a HERO CS to 5 other people. :D

Personally I think you're overestimating the difficulties, particularly if you and your players are familiar with 4E, but fair enough. :) The advice still stands, though. Ninja HERO is loaded with gaming advice and genre conventions that could be used to enrich a martial arts game no matter what system you play in. And the differences between 4E and 5E are relatively minor and easy to work around, so that the sample powers and characters in NH would be very usable to you.

Im the only one in the group that has used BBB at all. The others wouldnt touch it. It certianly wouldnt be the fast paced, action oriented, fight fest im looking for having to hold all of their respective hands each turn.

I also havent had all that much exposure to 5e. But I cant imagine that they took out much of the math, or the accounting. :)

Quote:note:

I havent really worked out Bullet Time yet. Im thinking it can easily be achieved with both Extra Actions for the most part, with a beefed up Dodge Action added to replicate the Rooftop Bullet Dodge scene.

end Quote.

Having watched the recent Matrix2 trailers I spent a lot of time thinking about how to emulate Bullet time in Hero.

I came to this conclusion:

Bullet-time is not a power

Bullet-time in a Special Effect

All bullet time is, is us the viewer watching someone with high Dex/Spd/CSL make all the right moves.To try and build it as a power could lead to nothing more than a Dex/Spd/CSL race between your players.

Might I suggest that you encourage your players to think of specific bullet time moments on the fly, with the added bonus of extra EXP for particularly impressive or distinctive moves.

After all, in the Matrix and CTHD, not every fight scene was maxed up, only the important ones.

My two pennies worth.

I definetly agree with Bullet Time being more of a SFX then its own power or power set. But I feel like it would be over used by the PCs if it wasnt attached to a specific manuver/power/action. They would want everything they did heavy detailed and slo-mo'd.

Im of the mind that its mostly a SFX for moving reeeeeaally fast though. Thats why I think it will be pretty well covered with extra actions. After reviewing the original movie many many times, and both the Revisited DVD and trailers for Reloaded, I feel its confirmed.

My main "see!" reference is the rooftop scene, after which Trinity says "How did you do that? You moved like them. Ive never seen anyone move that fast."

And the Dojo scene, where the frame decay during Neos flurry of blows is what it looks like from the wrong end. As written right now, every extra action effectively doubles the speed at which a character appears to move to the outside world.

I was thinking of altering the way Dodge actions work to represent this as well. I was thinking that instead of the normal bonus, a character would add one of their relevant scores. Im not sure if I would use thier Speed, Perception, Focus (equivilant of Power) or what. Id have to playtest it.

Tell me what you think.:)

Consider Feng Shui.

Sorry folks, to be a contrarian.

However, Feng Shui is very good at very easy martial arts...especially if all the players have an understanding of the Tsui Hark, woo Ping, Run run Shaw, wire fu, wuxia etc. etc. Not the world, but the martial arts themselves are pretty fun.

My second choice would be Hero. Even over my love for M&M. M&M just doesn't have the martail arts crunchiness yet... its fine for a Martial Artist within a super hero group... but not so good for entire martial arts cadre.

Currently, in RDU Neil's game, he is running "The Dragons" campaign, 9 martial artists with Dragon motif destined to open Japan from its several years Jade Shield. This is "mini" or "sub" campaign is set in a greater super hero campaign, but the Dragons is primiarly martial arts. Its been a blast. A sub plot brewing is the Tekken (of the console game fame) with some of the Tekken characters and are own characters entering hte preliminary bouts. It was a blast to have matches, not worrying about hostages or killing or being killed. Lots of respect and laughter and fun. And we are using Hero to run this.

So, a super martial arts game is a blast and can be done. I also recommend, like others, the Ninja Hero book and Mike Susanno's website, which has a plethora of martial arts stuff... check out the Other Genres section to find Susano's web address.... I don't have it handy.

Sorry if this coumes across wrong, but maybe I misworded my original post. :)

Im not looking for advice on what other systems to use. :) I know whats out there. I have the newest print of Feng Shui. I have the BBB kicking around still. I have Tri-Stat. I have at least 15 systems and their respective settings.

Im not using them. Im using Fuzion. Specifically, Im using Fuzion basically as written in the C:tNM sourcebook. I wasnt really looking for advice on what other system to use, or what books to buy.

I figured this would be a good place to come to get other peoples ideas on powers or even multipowers that would emulate the effects Im looking for.

Sorry if I was unclear about that, and again, sorry if that came out wrong. I would hate for people to waste their time digging around for other systems or books or settings to help me out when thats not what Im looking for though.:)

Sorry, morgann, didn't realize what you were going for. I'm not that familiar with Fuzion, but if what I describe is too much HERO System, you should have no trouble converting given their similarities.

Personally, I would simulate "Bullet Time" as Missile Deflection, with the special effect of dodging incoming projectiles.

Here are a few other classic "super" martial arts abilities that have floated around Hero Games books for a while:

Aid to Dexterity based on an Analyze Style skill roll, Self Only and Only vs one foe, reflecting your familiarity with your opponent's martial art style;

Kiai or war-shout, Presence Aid;

Combat Skill Levels which cost Endurance, for when a fighter really has to go "all out" to beat a foe;

Offensive Powers with Damage Shield, to simulate "instant counterpunching";

Armor Piercing Advantage on Strength or an offensive Power, for very focussed blows;

Autofire on Strength or an offensive Power, for multiple blows in a Phase against a single attacker or multiple nearby attackers. The latter can also be simulated with Selective Area of Effect;

Invisible Power Effects for Strength or an offensive Power, representing blows so quick that an opponent can't see them to defend against;

Indirect on Strength or an offensive Power, to strike an opponent on the other side of a barrier by transmitting force through it;

Damage Reduction, Only vs an attack you're aware of, the classic "bracing for a blow";

Gliding, Only for not leaving tracks, the "hing kung" technique;

DCV levels that Require an Acrobatics Skill Roll, for those defensive leaps and flips;

"Array" fighting, Aid to DEX, Self Only and Only when within a few meters of other specified persons, reflecting having trained to fight as a team;

Ranged Attack Powers bought through an OIF: Object of Opportunity, representing the character's ability to accurately throw any suitably hard and heavy object that he can lay hands on.

Hope those help. :)

Originally posted by Storn

So, a super martial arts game is a blast and can be done. I also recommend, like others, the Ninja Hero book and Mike Susanno's website, which has a plethora of martial arts stuff... check out the Other Genres section to find Susano's web address.... I don't have it handy.

Err... it's "Michael Surbrook." And my address is susano@guisarme.net.