as the day approaches...

phydaux

Very soon I will be running Island of Dr. Destroyer as a one-off at my local game store. I will be using several hand-out characters (the Champions, the Incredibles and a few of my own) as well as allowing experienced gamers to build their own characters ahead of time.

I have never run this mod before, just played it once a LONG time ago.

I was wondering:

1) Does anyone have any fond memories from their time playing/GM'ing Island of Dr. Destroyer?

and

2) Does anyone have any advice or recommendations for running/playing this old mod?

Re: as the day approaches...

Ran this many years ago - one of the best!

The two memories that come to mind are the players (group of 8) stalking through dense jungle, fighting groups of Destroyer Agents. I think there were 200+ Agents on the Island travelling in combat groups of 20, some with a SuperFlunky (Villian for Hire).

The other was the heroes fighting their way through the underground base (10 Megahexes, IIRC) for the final confrontation. Laser cages, Agent Ambushes, then the big duel with Dr. D.

Paladin (think Iron Man) sacrificed life and limb and smashed critical equipment (Move Through), the rest fought Dr. D - Only 2 Heroes still standing at the end.

Good luck, have fun!

P.S. The better the Island defenses, the longer it can take to get inside the base. It can be a whole 4-6 hour session on it's own.

I woud just emphasize that if this is a demo game, make sure everyone gets to see aspects of the game other than wading through endess agents or getting tac-nuked before they even hit the island.

Once folks are thouroughly bored with the agents, let them fight super-flunkies. Once that growes stale, fast foreward to them hitting the fortress.

And seriously think about compressing it down to on 4-6 hour game.

Ahh yes, the Island of Doctor Destoyer. First module I ever got for champions, He was what? in the middle 600 points in that version?

A far cry from what he is now. If you are using the module 'as is' then you might want to update several of the villains as they are likely to be concidered way underpowered (and a few probably illegal) by the current rules.

There was an old V&V module I got at the same time about an assault on a nuclear power plant, for the life of me I can't remember its name.

Ahh yes, the Island of Doctor Destoyer. First module I ever got for champions, He was what? in the middle 600 points in that version?

A far cry from what he is now. If you are using the module 'as is' then you might want to update several of the villains as they are likely to be concidered way underpowered (and a few probably illegal) by the current rules.

Actually, he cost 500 pts exactly. The supervillains can be used as is even though they're using old edition Elemental Controls. The PC's don't need to know that. If you mean illegal in that aspect that they're using the old rules, bingo, otherwise they're not. I still have that module and the fun thing is, I actually went through that module *twice* with some creative thought.

Very soon I will be running Island of Dr. Destroyer as a one-off at my local game store. I will be using several hand-out characters (the Champions, the Incredibles and a few of my own) as well as allowing experienced gamers to build their own characters ahead of time.

I have never run this mod before, just played it once a LONG time ago.

I was wondering:

1) Does anyone have any fond memories from their time playing/GM'ing Island of Dr. Destroyer?

and

2) Does anyone have any advice or recommendations for running/playing this old mod?

I totally forgot to tackle question 2 so here goes..

Don't worry too much about the statistics being in old edition Multipowers or Elemental Controls. The point is to create an episode where the players can enjoy themselves. Don't forget to add DEF statistics to everything since nothing mentioned in it tells what DEF a particular object has. Be aware that this 500 pt Dr. Destroyer is still a match for a group of heroes, especially beginning heroes. Don't forget that even if everything seems to go against the evil Destroyer that he'll have an escape route ready, even if it's one that's not listed in the module or in other words, embellish on what's in it.

My #1 biggest advice: read it thorougly and understand it thorougly. You can't be ready for the heroes if you don't know what traps and defenses the doctor has waiting for them, whether gas traps, villains, agents or something else.

My #2 advice: don't be afraid to change, add or delete things from it that don't match your campaign style or your DM style.

My #3 advice: let us know how things turned out. We want to know.

let us know how things turned out. We want to know.

Will do - I'll post a narative of the game after it's over.

I'm going to try and run the mod in "acts" like a play. So far I have:

Act One - Getting to the Island

Act Two - Getting past the Agents

Act Three - Getting past the Flunkies

Act Four - Getting past the Traps and Auto Defenses

Act Five - Fighting The Destroyer

I'm going to try to keep the feel as Silver Age as possible, but I want it to be "Sliver Age with the specter of death."

Most of the people playing will be first time Champs players. That's why I'll be using hand-out characters and I'm not too worried about PC body count (I have PLENTY of hand-out characters ;)).