Set the Value: Only v. Sleeping Target

Blue

Mental power that only works versus and unconscious or sleeping target. Sounds pretty common. But not being able to use it against an attacking group of foes until you've knocked them unconscious or unless they lay down and take a nap, isn't too common.

Assume the character's M.O. is to seek out sleeping targets.

Re: Set the Value: Only v. Sleeping Target

Thanks. I'm leaning toward the -1/2 because now I'm thinking the guy may have Mind Scan, and therefore can find his foe and attack him sleeping at a range. -1 would be too generous under those conditions.

Mental power that only works versus and unconscious or sleeping target. Sounds pretty common. But not being able to use it against an attacking group of foes until you've knocked them unconscious or unless they lay down and take a nap, isn't too common.

Assume the character's M.O. is to seek out sleeping targets.

In your average champs campaign I would be leaning towards a -2. I mean that is pretty freakin limited.

The question also comes up, how aware is someone who is asleep?

What is the effect of MI if you're asleep? Telepathy?

A couple things to keep in mind. :)

Thanks. I'm leaning toward the -1/2 because now I'm thinking the guy may have Mind Scan' date=' and therefore can find his foe and attack him sleeping at a range. -1 would be too generous under those conditions.[/quote']

Until you said this I was thinking -1 1/2 in general. What is the mental power specifically? Telepathy with the idea of finding out stuff I'd go -1 but maybe -1/2 based on how he intends to use it interacting with Mind Scan. Mind Control I'd definitely go -1 on the bottom end (unless of course the campaign has a lot of dream interaction), and up to -2 fairly easily depending.

So what is the power(s) and intended use(s)?

I've not fully worked up the powers I want, but I'm thinking

• Drain, BOECV, invis power effect, that takes some CON and STR. (Restless Sleep)
  • Mind Control, to compel people to get up and wander about, possibly into traffic or other mayhem (Sleep Walking)
  • Mental Illusions (Dreams Control)

Thanks. I'm leaning toward the -1/2 because now I'm thinking the guy may have Mind Scan' date=' and therefore can find his foe and attack him sleeping at a range. -1 would be too generous under those conditions.[/quote']

Hmm... I'm inclined to disagree with that assessment. The average person spends only a third of the day or less asleep, which severely restricts the time during which this character can use the Power effectively at range. You mention that the Power could also work against a foe who's knocked unconscious as well as naturally asleep; but that will be much harder to achieve if the mentalist is acting from a distance. And once the victim realizes what's happening and seeks out his attacker, the latter may be in no position to confront him.

My copy of the TML cites "Only When Unconscious" as a -1 1/2 Lim. All things considered I'd say -1 sounds about right.