Did anyone ever write-up the DC Impact comic characters?

zornwil

Just curious if anyone's done the Impact! line of heroes and villains. That's a line DC put out a little over 10 years ago in trying to create a brand new super universe. To jog memories, the main heroes included the Shield, Jaguar, the Comet, the Fly, WEB (enhanced normals who handled metahuman situations for the gov't), and Black Hood. I know I'm forgetting a couple or so.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Did anyone ever write-up the DC Impact comic characters?

I loved the Black Hood!

"I am the Black Hood...

and I love you."

I think I'll give the idea a try.

The Black Hood would be essentially a set of Skills/Talents and low level powers tied up in the hood. Perhaps bought as OIHID.

The tricky thing would be if the GM wanted to ensure that the skills etc transfer was paid for with points. Brainstorming I would make it a Transform: Guy into Black Hood.

Hawksmoor

I loved the Black Hood!

"I am the Black Hood...

and I love you."

I think I'll give the idea a try.

The Black Hood would be essentially a set of Skills/Talents and low level powers tied up in the hood. Perhaps bought as OIHID.

The tricky thing would be if the GM wanted to ensure that the skills etc transfer was paid for with points. Brainstorming I would make it a Transform: Guy into Black Hood.

Hawksmoor

The Hood would definately need to be independent, since anyone who has the hood has the powers, and they usually lose the hood by being killed.

I loved that line of comics (though I was distressed by what happened to the Comet after the original creative team quit). "Bob Phantom" was one of the funnier bits I've ever read in a comic. I never tried to work them up in hero, but I can't imagine it would be that hard. They were fairly simple (except for the Black Hood), which is one of the things I liked about them.

One nitpick, it wan't Impact!, it was !mpact :P

Hmmm, you sure there was no "!"? Ah well.

Yeah, the series as a whole degenerated rapidly towards the end. I felt they didn't stick to it well enough from the beginning, I guess DC had unrealistic expectations of how long it would take to really get hold. I liked it a lot in the beginning, pretty much all the characters though wasn't so into the Shield and WEB.

Oh, and as to the characters, I have Black Hood as a Hong Kong super, the Comet is in Miami, and the Fly is in Chicago. Oh, and the Jaguar is in the southwest in general, often hunting the Hulk. WEB has been reused and changed dramatically into a metahuman coordination program started under Clinton and languishing under Bush. But I haven't statted out any of the characters I've used, they're all background at this point. And, no, I'm not asking just to yoink the results, as I made the ones I'm using as very high-level, much > 350, characters, which is above what the were in the comics pretty much. But any write-ups would be inspirational, hence the curiousity.

To be really technical the !mpact characters where licensed from Archie comics. They where Archies' 1960's superhero line. That is why no don't see DC trying to bring them in to the main universe. They where hoping to do a new universe that would bring in new readership.

I loved that line of comics (though I was distressed by what happened to the Comet after the original creative team quit). "Bob Phantom" was one of the funnier bits I've ever read in a comic. I never tried to work them up in hero, but I can't imagine it would be that hard. They were fairly simple (except for the Black Hood), which is one of the things I liked about them.

One nitpick, it wan't Impact!, it was !mpact :P

Simple, heh... they were based on Archie comic characters :nonp::rolleyes:

I was thinking, I would just call the Hood thing a plot device in moving from one host to the next rather than stat it out in and of itself, but the abiltiies gained with it, IIRC, only work when the hood is being worn so definitely OIHID.

The Hood would definately need to be independent' date=' since anyone who has the hood has the powers, and they usually lose the hood by being killed.[/quote']

Wouldn't that just be a normal Universal Focus?

Wouldn't that just be a normal Universal Focus?

No, because there was no gaurantee that you would ever get the Hood back and it could not be replaced, so it's beyond being just oihid- and don't forget the Psych lim-Must do Good(Common/Total) but that leaves the definition of "good" up to the wearer.

Did the character over lost the hood permanantly? I mean, technically, outside of plot reasons there is no garuntee that Captain America will ever get his sheild back. But without it, he's not quite Captain America. Its part of him. So he ususally does get it back when he loses it.

Independant means when you lose the Focus, those points are gone. Forever. There's no unwritten "you'll get it or something equivalent back" eventually. I generally think Independant isn't a suitable limitation for Superheroic games, particularly for a character's main focus.

Of course, I know nothing about this character. :)

During the series' run' date=' one Black Hood lost the hood permanently, one died, IIRC. PS - so yes, the one who lost it permanently went back to normal status, and the new Black Hood got the power[/quote']

So, in a sense, the Hood is the character and the wearers are the plot device? Interesting....

Well, I stand corrected then. Independant would be accurate.

No' date=' because there was no gaurantee that you would ever get the Hood back and it could not be replaced, so it's beyond being just oihid- and don't forget the Psych lim-Must do Good(Common/Total) but that leaves the definition of "good" up to the wearer.[/quote']

You're probably right, upon reflection, it should be Independent in an orthodox write-up for any individual character. However this might also be best written up with the Black Hood as its own character that possesses or transforms the wearer - I just bring up the possession as it seems to fit this running theme that perhaps HERO needs that as a Power.

I tend to think from a PC perspective, and if one played the Black Hood, one wouldn't probably call it Independent as a PC wouldn't lose it, so in that case I would go straight to OIHID because I don't think it's ever really lost or treated as a Focus per se for the wearer (nobody fighting the Black Hood typically ever considers the hood itself has the power).

So, in a sense, the Hood is the character and the wearers are the plot device? Interesting....

Well, I stand corrected then. Independant would be accurate.

I didn't think of it that way, but in a way you're right. To put it another way, it was an excuse to have a little bit of an anthology thing almost by portraying different people in different situations with the mask being the common thread.

That's cool, thx Sketchpad!

I thought it was illegal to do DC characters in the old Marvel game! :D

BTW, I have to say, I did always enjoy the Marvel characteristics ratings (the whole Amazing, Incredible, Typical, and so on thing).