Master list of clever stuff

grufflehead

Having found the most splendid 'Master List of Disadvantages' on the web, I wondered if there was an equivalent (either a personal webpage or even a published product) which collated all of the various talents, knacks, perks, clever use of powers and other useful little tricks that have been scattered through various products over time?

Re: Master list of clever stuff

I've read incarnations of this list before. I'd classify it as a "netbook" - ie an etext that floats from forum, to messageboard, to website and is added to/editted by many authors.

I'm not sure if it's 5th-ed compliant though, but then, I haven't read it recently.

There are no nifty compilations of customised additions to Hero as far as I know (AFAIK) - it would be a VERY big job. Just about every campaign setting, and many individual characters, include unique and unusual usage of the rules, or additions to it. You would need to trawl through every Hero fan website.

However - I can recommend having a look at the Fantasy Hero Grimoire 2, which I just bought. It does have some nifty ideas I hadn't thought of before for using powers and advantages.

And, as you have now volunteered yourself to compile the Netbook of Nifty Hero Addons, you may want to post a generic message on all genre forums here, and on other Hero fansites..

Guest Worldmaker

Sorry, old chap. Don't know why I assumed that was common knowledge, I guess I just did.... And it should have been 'master list of limitations' NOT 'disadvantages'.

Here you go:

http://www.globalguardians.com/masterlists/masterlistindex.php

We're expanding it to cover Distinctive Features... eventually.

Guest Worldmaker

I've read incarnations of this list before. I'd classify it as a "netbook" - ie an etext that floats from forum' date=' to messageboard, to website and is added to/editted by many authors.[/quote']

This is basically incorrect. Its a copyrighted work that lives on my website. If you know of someone posting a version of it on their own site, please let me know so I can zip a nice, polite cease and desist letter to them.

As for "added to/edited by many authors", "many" is about six people.

I'm not sure if it's 5th-ed compliant though, but then, I haven't read it recently.

It is.

And' date=' as you have now volunteered yourself to compile the Netbook of Nifty Hero Addons, you may want to post a generic message on all genre forums here, and on other Hero fansites..[/quote']

Hmmm, sounds like it's time for me to break out my 20D6 Mind Control, only to make others forget what I've just said......

Seriously, I'd certainly contribute to a shared project to collate as many of these things as possible, but I really don't have a lot of sources (a handful of 4th Ed books of various genres) so I wouldn't get very far. And thinking about it (which I probably should have done before I posted in the first place), I would guess the folks at HERO would (quite rightly) object if we reproduced anything that was published elsewhere by them. On the other side, if there was only a list compiled then that's not much use to players who don't have access to the appropriate products - I can think of a number of books which have this sort of thing in them but I wasn't prepared to buy because that was the ONLY thing in them that I wanted.

Perhaps a better question might be, if a group of people were interested in putting together a project like this, would HERO games consider publishing it (thus retaining the copyright) so others who are interested might be able to pick it up?

This is basically incorrect. Its a copyrighted work that lives on my website. If you know of someone posting a version of it on their own site' date=' please let me know so I can zip a nice, polite cease and desist letter to them.[/quote']

My mistake - I saw it on NetRPG first, I believe - which no longer exists as a site, and on one of the Star Hero campaign sites in the links section - the Quatermain campaign.

Perhaps a better question might be' date=' if a group of people were interested in putting together a project like this, would HERO games consider publishing it (thus retaining the copyright) so others who are interested might be able to pick it up?[/quote']

It could be similar to the Spacer's Toolkit or the Fantasy Grimoire. Although, generic for genre and only listing out of the ordinary ideas.

Actually - I remember the Fantasy Hero Companions.... You could create a Hero Companion book of special cases.

Guest Worldmaker

My mistake - I saw it on NetRPG first' date=' I believe - which no longer exists as a site, and on one of the Star Hero campaign sites in the links section - the Quatermain campaign.[/quote']

Does anyone know how I would go about contacting the ISP hosting the Quartermain campaign and let them know that the site's owner is posting plagiarized material, and that I would appreciate it being removed?

Does anyone know how I would go about contacting the ISP hosting the Quartermain campaign and let them know that the site's owner is posting plagiarized material' date=' and that I would appreciate it being removed?[/quote']The PDF that they have on their site which has the Disadvantages has this note:

Ver 1.0 : Subject to Change

I'd like to give credit to the person who's work on the disadvantage website that

I took many of these descriptions from, but the site lacked any info about the author, and has since been removed from the internet.

I've expanded on the original source, removed editorial material and added Quartermain specific material.

WM have you seen the file yourself?

Because this note seems to imply that it was derived from the earlier Disadvantages list that you used as the nucleous for the current Master List.

But, I haven't looked too deeply into the file and I wouldn't be able to tell if it was taken from the original or the current list even if I did look deeper.

TB

Guest Worldmaker

WM have you seen the file yourself?

Because this note seems to imply that it was derived from the earlier Disadvantages list that you used as the nucleous for the current Master List.

But, I haven't looked too deeply into the file and I wouldn't be able to tell if it was taken from the original or the current list.

I've got it open in front of me while I type this. Chris Paka's original list of disads had a bunch of disads listed, but only ten or so of the disads that start with "A" actually written.

Check this out:

From the Master List:

Fated

All The Time, Slightly: 15 Points | All The Time, Greatly: 20 Points | All The Time, Fully: 25 Points

Type: Physical

Description: A character with this Limitation is Fated to always have something happen, or to never have something happen. The character must have some reason for wanting things otherwise -- being Fated To Never Lose A Fight isn't an appropriate disadvantage. Usually, the reason why the character wants otherwise can be defined in a Psychological Limitation; for instance, a character with Ophidiophobia (the fear of snakes) might be Fated To Meet Snakes At Least Every Third Adventure. A villain who carries a gun might be Fated To Never Use His Gun Against A Character Who Would Be Injured By It. He can still use the gun for intimidation, or to shoot objects, but for some reason whenever he pulls the trigger against a person, the target dodges his bullets or bounces them.

From the .pdf

Fated To (Occurrence or Happenstance)

All The Time, Slightly: 15 Points

All The Time, Greatly: 20 Points

All The Time, Fully: 25 Points

A character with this Limitation is Fated to always have something happen, or to never have something happen. The character must have some reason for wanting things otherwise... being Fated To Never Lose A Fight isn't an appropriate disadvantage.

Usually, the reason why the character wants otherwise can be defined in a Psychological Limitation; for instance, a character with Herpophobia (the fear of snakes) might be Fated To Meet Snakes At Least Every Third Adventure. A villain who carries a gun might be Fated To Never Use His Gun Against A Character Who Would Be Injured By It. He can still use the gun for intimidation, or to shoot objects, but for some reason whenever he pulls the trigger against a person, the target dodges his bullets or bounces them.

Or how about this one, a limitation we added to the list in September, according to my records:

From the Master Lists:

Uneducated

Infrequently, Slightly: 5 Points

Type: Physical

Description: This character isn't stupid; rather, he has never been formally schooled (or if he has gone to school, he never really paid attention to it). Common Sense and experience guide the character's actions rather than formally taught knowledge. The character may only take those skills which require no formal classroom training to learn. This prohibits the character from taking any Science Skill, and can never learn any Language Skill better than "conversational" (and can never rid himself of his native accent).

From the .pdf:

Uneducated (Infrequently, Slightly) 5 Points

An Uneducated character isn't stupid; rather, he has never been formally schooled (or if he has gone to school, he never really paid attention to it). Common Sense and experience guide the character's actions, rather than formally taught knowledge.

The character may only take those skills which require no formal classroom training to learn. This prohibits the character from taking any Science Skill, Systems Operations, etc. and can never learn any Language Skill better than "conversational" (and can never rid himself of his native accent).

If his wording was different, maybe I could buy the parallel development angle. But as it is, its clear to me that he cut and pasted my list into his own .pdf and filed my name off of it.

Having found the most splendid 'Master List of Disadvantages' on the web' date=' I wondered if there was an equivalent (either a personal webpage or even a published product) which collated all of the various talents, knacks, perks, clever use of powers and other useful little tricks that have been scattered through various products over time?[/quote']

Well, the best example of this sort that I know of is Tom McCarthy's classic list of custom Limitations, optional Advantages, Adders and Skills from most of the published Fourth Edition books, which was posted to the pre-DOJ Hero Games discussion boards. It's pretty well organized and categorized, and pretty darn big.

Of course some of these entries have been superceded by the new rules; OTOH others mirror the official rules and options which have since been published in 5E books. I still refer to the list from time to time for guidelines on how much a given Limitation should be worth, or for ideas on innovative power builds.

Here's where you'll find it:

http://www.herogames.com/oldForum/Rules/000120.html

Another great resource is Franklin W. Cain's big list of Background Skills. Even without considering his house rules for Skill use, the names and descriptions of the Skills add a large range, and can help flesh out characters from any genre and background.

This is probably the most thorough and best organized source of its type, at least until Steve Long gets around to finishing The Ultimate Skill. ;)

Well' date=' the best example of this sort that I know of is Tom McCarthy's classic list of custom Limitations, optional Advantages, Adders and Skills from most of the published Fourth Edition books, which was posted to the pre-DOJ Hero Games discussion boards. It's pretty well organized and categorized, and pretty darn big. [/quote']

Another great resource is Franklin W. Cain's big list of Background Skills. Even without considering his house rules for Skill use, the names and descriptions of the Skills add a large range, and can help flesh out characters from any genre and background.

This is probably the most thorough and best organized source of its type, at least until Steve Long gets around to finishing The Ultimate Skill.

Fantastic! That's the sort of thing I was after.

Following up on a couple of points in the thread, what sort of thing is in the UNTIL superpowers book (and the upcoming sequel), and has anyone had any hints as to what the Ultimate Skill will contain? If Steve is going to group talents/perks etc into that book, then I think that should fit my requirements nicely (even if it means waiting for a while).

Following up on a couple of points in the thread' date=' what sort of thing is in the UNTIL superpowers book (and the upcoming sequel), and has anyone had any hints as to what the Ultimate Skill will contain? If Steve is going to group talents/perks etc into that book, then I think that should fit my requirements nicely (even if it means waiting for a while).[/quote']

To get a good idea of the nature of the UNTIL Superpowers Database, you should check out the Online USPD here on the website. It's a compendium for new Power writeups, mostly contributed by fans, following the same format as the printed USPD.

As far as the USPD II goes, remarks by Steve Long indicate that it will include virtually all the writeups from the Online version, plus others that Steve has come up with in the meantime. Since there's also going to be some minor changes to the upcoming reprint of the original USPD (mostly errata corrections and clarifications of some of the rules that have been raised since the book was first published), the sequel will include a summary of these so that people who bought the first version of the Database won't feel pressured to buy the update.

Regarding The Ultimate Skill, I've assembled a selection Steve's posts on the subject which give particulars about what to expect in the book:

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?p=349365

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?p=349363

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?p=16641

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?p=320132

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?p=348469

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?p=424793

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?p=571086

Steve may of course correct me on this, but from these remarks it doesn't sound as though Talents and Perks will be covered in this book.

Something you may not have picked up on earlier is the Super-Skills Megathread. "Super-skills" is a term Steve Long coined for using Powers to build those extraordinary movie action-hero abilities; there's a whole section of them in Dark Champions. The thread above was started by board members to post their own super-skills.

That reminds me of a "hero" I had in a Mystery Men-type setting awhile ago. Interesting concept for him, but we never adequately made up rules for him. And looking at FHG2 and using power advantages as a power themself, I think it could be done-

Retroactive Man, was his name. Dressed like someone from That 70's Show. His sole power was to cause delays between cause and effect. Which I would now writeup as a large point Trigger..

Good for firing a gun several times, and then having the bullets hit the target later - He once threw himself on a grenade, and stopped it going off, until he could get to a hospital....