Largest Space Chart Design

Super Squirrel

I'm just curious how much space people have designed in Star Hero. I'm using the Star Hero rules currently working on a very large quadrant.

The quadrant is a 10 by 10 grid of 20 cubic light year sectors. Or a grand total of 800,000 cubic light years.

So how big of an area have you designed?

Re: Largest Space Chart Design

The game I'm pecking away at has 4 descriptions for space: Known Space is a 50 light year radius around Sol. Understood Space stretches that to about 250 light years. Frontier Space extends that to 500 light years. Everything beyond a 500 light year radius is called Dragon Space and is basically unknown and unexplored.

Within the 500 light year area are 92 different species [53 associated in some fashion with the Galactic Council, 26 neutral species, and 13 hostile species].

My game is centered around the Andromeda Galaxy. A group of big risk takers made some major hyperspace trips to Andromeda. There, they built a hyperspace gate. They charge the cost of a medium sized spaceship to anyone who wants to use it and as a result, the area is relatively unexplored. I plan on designing the Andromeda Galaxy one quadrant at a time.

Now from an astronomical reality check standpoint, these are challenging. However, one should never let inconvenient facts get in the way of a good RPG campaign.

Given a radius in light years, the number of stars inside the radius is about

Nstars = R^3 * 0.01

With the best figures I managed to find, the approximate number of stars hosting a human habitable planet is

NhStars = R^3 * 0.0022

(this is human habitable only, there will be different numbers for hydrogen-breathers, silicon life, or similar life-as-we-do-not-know-it). This is of course far more controversial than just the number of stars, and one is free to adjust this to taste.

Note that if the radius is larger than 500 light years or so, the equation will fail, giving more stars than there really are. This is due to the fact that the galactic disc out here in the galactic habitable zone is only about 1000 light years thick.

So Super Squirrel's 100 ly radius map would hold a bit more than 10,000 stars (since the map is a cube, not a sphere), with 2,200 of them human-habitable.

MitchellS's Known Space has about 1250 stars with 275 human habitable. Understood space adds an additional 159,000 stars with 33,700 human habitable. Frontier space adds an additional 1,090,000 stars with 216,000 human-habitable.

Again, feel free to ignore these figures if they are inconvenient.

MitchellS's Known Space has about 1250 stars with 275 human habitable. Understood space adds an additional 159' date='000 stars with 33,700 human habitable. Frontier space adds an additional 1,090,000 stars with 216,000 human-habitable.[/quote']

That's useful information to me. Thank you. Now I have an idea of how many colony systems can be established; especially in Known Space where the highest concentration of "known" aliens will be situated, and vying for suitable planets too.

Why, thank you. Some people like my Atomic Rocket website as well, especially the fun parts.

No, Steve, I am not an astronomer, nor am I a rocket scientist. But I have studied both in an amateur fashion for a few decades.

I always try to include the "good caveats". Far too many so-called "authenticity nazis" have forgetten that the point of an RPG is to have fun playing, not ruin a good time for everybody by picking holes in the game master's universe.

Having said that, I must say that I was quite impressed with the astronomical scientific accuracy to be found in Star Hero. It shows careful research, and quite recent research at that (re: the galactic habitable zones). I much doubt that I could personally have written it as well.

My favorite is still your deconstruction/reconstruction of the Pentateuch Symbols. I still plan on using them in a Star Hero game one of these days, when my players get off of their fantasy kick.

I see you also added some stuff about Elemental Magick and some other occult bits. I may have to yoink them at some point. They're really good!

Stars or Star Systems...? Due to the existence of Binaries and Trinaries' date=' this could skew your figures when allocating coordinates...[/quote']

Nice catch! Pardon me while I smack my head with the clue-stick. :stupid:

The equation gives the total number of Stars.

The best figure I can find is:

NSystems = NStars / 1.5

Example: MitchellS's Known Space has about 1250 stars. Therefore it will have 1250 / 1.5 = 833 star systems.

I go into this in a bit more detail here:

http://www.projectrho.com/smap05d.html

Nice catch! Pardon me while I smack my head with the clue-stick. :stupid:

The equation gives the total number of Stars.

The best figure I can find is:

NSystems = NStars / 1.5

Heh... It's an ambiguity I see over and over again in pretty much any product that covers the subject, so that's why I noticed it...

The habcat data seems like it would be useful... I'll have to remember it if I ever get players interested in SciFi again...