New player needs help translating character ideas into game terms

Micah

Hi,

I'm a long time D&D player who just picked up the Sidekick book. Our D&D group decided to give Champions a shot on alternating weeks with D&D. This gives me a chance to take a break from DM and be a player.

None of us have played Champions (or any Hero game), so we're fumbling around in the dark right now. I have a character idea, but I can't seem to translate it very well.

Here's the basics:

I want a motorcycle based hero who has an energy whip. He rides by, wraps up bad guys with the whip, and then keeps going. In addition, he can use his whip to drain strength and do normal damage. You get the idea.

My questions:

1. How do I translate the grabbing and dragging with the motorcycle? I would think something like "grab by", but it isn't detailed in the Sidekick book (I saw it on the character sheet). Or, perhaps entangle? These might cover making the grab, but how do I translate the dragging damage? Any tips here would be helpful, including page numbers. Our Champions GM has the full Revised 5th Edition book, so page numbers in it detailing what I'm saying would be great.

2. I don't want a strongman, but it seems like STR will be important for maintaining grabs made with the whip. Is there a way to buy STR for the whip only? What I mean is: Is there a way to have high STR ONLY when using the whip for a grab?

3. What happens if the motorcycle is destroyed (ie. 2x BODY damage)? Do I need to pay more character points to get a new one? Or, do the character points buy the "knowledge" of the motorcycle, and I can use money to buy a new bike. Note: We're playing a superheroic game. On a more general note, what about destroying/breaking OAF things? Can I buy some sort of repair skill and use it to repair totally destroyed stuff? I'm just a little confused.

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Micah

Re: New player needs help translating character ideas into game terms

Hi' date='I'm a long time D&D player who just picked up the Sidekick book. Our D&D group decided to give Champions a shot on alternating weeks with D&D. This gives me a chance to take a break from DM and be a player.[/quote']Welcome.

{snip}I want a motorcycle based hero who has an energy whip. He rides by' date=' wraps up bad guys with the whip, and then keeps going. In addition, he can use his whip to drain strength and do normal damage. You get the idea.My questions:1. How do I translate the grabbing and dragging with the motorcycle? I would think something like "grab by", but it isn't detailed in the Sidekick book (I saw it on the character sheet). Or, perhaps entangle? These might cover making the grab, but how do I translate the dragging damage? Any tips here would be helpful, including page numbers. Our Champions GM has the full Revised 5th Edition book, so page numbers in it detailing what I'm saying would be great.[/quote']That's one I've never actually come across. My tendency would be to use Stretching, only with the whip (this could be treated as a Focus, or possibly using the "Cannot Do Damage" and "Always Direct" Limitations). Entangle is also a good option, but you'd have to figure out some way to simulate your ability to retain your hold, as Entangle normally doesn't do that.As far as the dragging damage is concerned...eep. That's not specifically covered in the rules as far as I know. Maybe use 1/4 of the normal damage for velocity (since the character isn't actually running into anything). Or, you could treat it as if it were Knockback damage (1/2D6 for each inch of dragging). I don't know; someone else on the list might have a better idea. However, being dragged, I would think, doesn't really do that much damage in a superheroic sense; superheroes routinely stop buses, trains, and the like by standing in front of them and putting on the brakes.

2. I don't want a strongman' date=' but it seems like STR will be important for maintaining grabs made with the whip. Is there a way to buy STR for the whip only? What I mean is: Is there a way to have high STR ONLY when using the whip for a grab?[/quote']Yes, absolutely. Just buy STR with the Limitation "Only with Whip", which is probably worth a -1/2 Limitation. You would also take the "No Figured CHAR" Limitation as well. I'd suggest taking a Reduced END on the extra STR; it seems a little weird to have to burn your own end to maintain the Grab with a whip.

3. What happens if the motorcycle is destroyed (ie. 2x BODY damage)? Do I need to pay more character points to get a new one? Or' date=' do the character points buy the "knowledge" of the motorcycle, and I can use money to buy a new bike. Note: We're playing a superheroic game. On a more general note, what about destroying/breaking OAF things? Can I buy some sort of repair skill and use it to repair totally destroyed stuff? I'm just a little confused.[/quote']In HERO, once you pay the points for a vehicle (or a Power bought through a Focus), you don't have to again, unless you take the Independent Limitation. You'll need to find some way "inside" the game to get it rebuilt, which normally would happen between adventures.Something that's totally destroyed is not usually repairable. You could buy the appropriate skills, such as Mechanics or Electronics, and attempt to do so, but I suspect the GM would assign some pretty hefty negative modifiers to the rolls.

I'd buy the extra-STR with a-1/2 limit of "only whip-related effects" (no casual str, bracing vs. knockback, limited in its ability to lift/throw, etc.) and the "No Figured Characteristic" limit (unless it's in a framework). Both of these limits would be in addition to whatever focus limit you'll probably apply.

The whip itself might have 3" stretching (about 20" ft.) with limits like Always Direct (-1/4), No Noncombat Stretch (-1/4), No Velocity Damage (-1/4) and probably a focus limit.

You could also try building the whip with Telekinesis also.

Re: New player needs help translating character ideas into game termsHere's a few variants on your original idea. If the character has a whip that can be taken away, and every few sessions there's a circumstance where he can't use it, then OAF (Obvious Accessible Focus) is probably appropriate. On the other hand, if it looks like an item but he never seems to lose it, but he can only use it when he's in his Superhero identity, then it's probably usable OIHID (Only In Heroic Identity).

Cost Power END
22 Energy Whip: Multipower, 45-point reserve, all slots OAF (-1)
2u 1) Energy Whip Drain: Drain 2d6, Limited Range (3"; +1/4), STR and DEX simultaneously (+1/2) (35 Active Points); OAF (-1) 3
1u 2) Energy Whip Grab: Stretching 3" (15 Active Points); OAF (-1), Cannot Do Damage (-1/2), Always Direct (-1/4), No Noncombat Stretching (-1/4) plus +20 STR, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (30 Active Points); Only For Grabs (-1), OAF (-1), No Figured Characteristics (-1/2) 1
2u 3) Energy Whip Slash: RKA 1d6+1, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), +2 Increased STUN Multiplier (+1/2) (40 Active Points); OAF (-1), Limited Range (3"; -1/4) 0
36 Energy Whip: Multipower, 45-point reserve, all slots Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)
3u 1) Energy Whip Drain: Drain 2d6, Limited Range (3"; +1/4), STR and DEX simultaneously (+1/2) (35 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4) 3
2u 2) Energy Whip Grab: Stretching 3" (15 Active Points); Cannot Do Damage (-1/2), Always Direct (-1/4), No Noncombat Stretching (-1/4), Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4) plus +20 STR, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (30 Active Points); Only For Grabs (-1), No Figured Characteristics (-1/2), Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4) 1
3u 3) Energy Whip Slash: RKA 1d6+1, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), +2 Increased STUN Multiplier (+1/2) (40 Active Points); Limited Range (3"; -1/4), Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4) 0
Powers Cost: 71

The OAF multipower is perfect! I did about the same thing when making my character up, but I split it into 3 separate powers. With the multipower, it will be cheaper and make more sense.

Thanks a lot!

BTW: After my first game of Champions, I'm pretty much hooked...

Some great ideas there, but there's one thing I'd like to check. Do you envisage being able to Drain people who are held in the Grab? If so, then the whip needs to be worked a little differently from AlHazred's version (which was great).

I have to agree that most supers won't be affected much by being dragged along the ground, but it's certainly a classic move in Westerns and sometimes fantasy genres, so go for it.

Hmm, you could always Drain their PD as they are dragged along. There was an old villain called Bruiser who hit people and their defences would diminish. That might be a little too complicated, though (not to mention a tiny bit villainous).

Some great ideas there' date=' but there's one thing I'd like to check. Do you envisage being able to Drain people who are held in the Grab? If so, then the whip needs to be worked a little differently from AlHazred's version (which was great).[/quote']

I'm not sure yet about if I want to be able to Drain while in Grab. In our little test-fight last night, I used the Drain by itself (ie. regular Drain attack).

If I wanted to be able to grab and drain, could I add that as yet another sub-power in the multipower? Or, does that kind of defeat the purpose of the multipower?

I have to agree that most supers won't be affected much by being dragged along the ground, but it's certainly a classic move in Westerns and sometimes fantasy genres, so go for it.

Since it's his first time as GM of a Hero game, our GM made it low powered. We have a 50pt + 50 disadvantage limit (so 100pt total) for character generation. However, it's still a superheroic game with superhuman powers and such.

So, I assume that our enemies will be pretty weak, just like us. Besides, even if the dragging doesn't do damage, it will allow me to control their movement and keep them away from more fragile party members.

Here's an idea: if I read correctly, with Grab you can do your STR damage for as long as you maintain the Grab (to simulate crushing and smashing). I could just use that ammount (with the special effect of dragging them against stuff like light-poles and curbs and such) and it would be within normal game rules. Sound fair? I would even be willing to diminish the damage significantly in order to offset the advantage of being able to control their movement.

Hmm, you could always Drain their PD as they are dragged along. There was an old villain called Bruiser who hit people and their defences would diminish. That might be a little too complicated, though (not to mention a tiny bit villainous).

Yet another good idea. I'll definitely have to think about it.

*Edited for spelling*

If I were the GM and you described this action, I'd call the damage a special effect of the Grab and let you do the normal dice, maybe a few more if the terrain was gravelly or broken, or a few less if it was smooth or soft.

If you drain someone's defenses in an Combo attack that also does damage, you do the damage before Draining the defense. So, I'd let you do the dragging damage and then drain the guy's PD; the next phase, if he's still held, you'd do damage against the reduced PD, and then drain the PD further, and so on.

If you want to eventually drain people who you've got grabbed in the whip, that's perfectly doable.

Cost Power END
5 Energy Whip: Stretching 3" (15 Active Points); Cannot Do Damage (-1/2), Always Direct (-1/4), No Noncombat Stretching (-1/4), OAF (-1) 1
15 Energy Whip: Multipower, 30-point reserve, all slots OAF (-1)
1u 1) Energy Whip Drain: Drain 2d6, STR and DEX simultaneously (+1/2) (30 Active Points); OAF (-1) 3
1u 2) Energy Whip Grab: +20 STR, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (30 Active Points); Only For Grabs (-1), OAF (-1), No Figured Characteristics (-1/2)
1u 3) Energy Whip Slash/Slice: HKA 1d6+1 (1 1/2d6 / 2 1/2d6 w/STR), +2 Increased STUN Multiplier (+1/2) (30 Active Points); OAF (-1) 3
Powers Cost: 23

Cost Power END
22 Energy Whip: Multipower, 45-point reserve, all slots OAF (-1)
2u 1) Energy Whip Drain: Drain 2d6, Limited Range (3"; +1/4), STR and DEX simultaneously (+1/2) (35 Active Points); OAF (-1) 3
1u 2) Energy Whip Grab: Stretching 3" (15 Active Points); OAF (-1), Cannot Do Damage (-1/2), Always Direct (-1/4), No Noncombat Stretching (-1/4) plus +20 STR, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (30 Active Points); Only For Grabs (-1), OAF (-1), No Figured Characteristics (-1/2) 1
2u 3) Energy Whip Slash: RKA 1d6+1, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), +2 Increased STUN Multiplier (+1/2) (40 Active Points); OAF (-1), Limited Range (3"; -1/4) 0
36 Energy Whip: Multipower, 45-point reserve, all slots Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)
3u 1) Energy Whip Drain: Drain 2d6, Limited Range (3"; +1/4), STR and DEX simultaneously (+1/2) (35 Active Points); Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4) 3
2u 2) Energy Whip Grab: Stretching 3" (15 Active Points); Cannot Do Damage (-1/2), Always Direct (-1/4), No Noncombat Stretching (-1/4), Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4) plus +20 STR, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (30 Active Points); Only For Grabs (-1), No Figured Characteristics (-1/2), Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4) 1
3u 3) Energy Whip Slash: RKA 1d6+1, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), +2 Increased STUN Multiplier (+1/2) (40 Active Points); Limited Range (3"; -1/4), Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4) 0
Powers Cost: 71
[/quote']Can you apply OAF both to the point pool and the individual powers? Wouldn't that be counting it twice?

Can you apply OAF both to the point pool and the individual powers? Wouldn't that be counting it twice?

The rule for multipowers is that any limit that is applied to each and every slot can also be applied to the point pool.

If even one power doesn't have it, the pool can't either.

The rule for multipowers is that any limit that is applied to each and every slot can also be applied to the point pool.

If even one power doesn't have it, the pool can't either.

Actually not *quite* true. You can differ in the Pool and Slot limitations. Focus is one of the biggies. You can have a OIF utility belt full of OAF Slots. Other Variants work as well.

What Jhamin means to say is if the limitations are the same on all the slots they can be taken on the pool.

Hawksmoor

BTW: Chain = Stretching ; Stretching lets you project your STR at range and do really nifty things: Grapple, Punch and of course DRAG!