Who else is dead and loving it?

Enforcer84

Speaking as the person who brought up Sanctuary/Neutral Ground... I look at it like this. Yes, the basic concept is a little Silver Agey: but that doesn't mean that's all there is to it. Aberrant for example had its own version of this (the Amp Room).

Speaking for my own campaign, Sanctuary has become a hotbed of intrigue. The "Isla Delta" branch of the Defiants want to turn it into a "nova homeland", which Hyperion refuses to grant. Of course, Hyperion has a certain degree of Teragen sympathy -- he openly says he created Sanctuary so novas could be novas amongst their "own kind". So why the contradiction?

The other thing is... Sanctuary is a wonderfully tempting backdrop for "minigames", trying to imagine how the existance of superpowers affects common sports for example.

There's also a certain degree of sadistic glee you get out of a scenario like, say, building up an intense hatred between a villain and a hero team (or just a specific hero on that team), and then they both show up at Sanctuary together. Imagine the joy of that villain counting the bulging veins on the hero's head as he desperately wants to, but knows he shouldn't, throttle the guy. Brings a fair tear to me eye, it does.

My Sanctuary

While I need to adjust it, as Destruga was never converted in the 'official' CU, I already have my own niche filled out for Sanctuary.

I am playing Sanctuary as it's true name sake. As increasingly draconian methods and required 'registration' were occuring for superhumans world wide (Registration even the 'law' in the USA, if not enforced so much), some Super heroes, rather than be forced to break the law, made a political statement. Using their own combination of super powers and technology, they formed their own island: A refuge for those who valued the right to privacy, and distrusted big government.

It did indeed become a resort like atmosphere for a time, and even some (non violent) villains were welcomed (though watched more carefully). More and more superhumans have flocked to it on a permanent basis though. Many do not consider themselves villains OR Heroes, and of course, by now, some of the 1st generation's children are growing up on their own.

The U.N. is refusing to recognize Sanctuary as a soveriegn nation. In turn, Sanctuary refuses to allow U.N.T.I.L. to operate on it's soil. Many nations are growing increasingly concerned that Sanctuary is becoming a haven for 'Super Terrorism' or at least a sponser of it. Sanctuary is certain that these nations (and organizations serving them, perhaps even PRIMUS) have sent spies among it.

Welcome to Sanctuary, population less than a thousand, but 99% of them a walking weapon.