Champions at War!

Alibear

NICE!

Originally posted by Big Willy

Here's a scary idea that I only share because I'm not currently running a campaign.

In a supers universe, Iraq is a ticking timebomb not because of bombs, VX or anthrax, but because twelve years ago the soil was contaminated by vast quantities of depleted uranium. In the real world, that means an increased incidence of birth defects; but on Earth-Super, it means a generation of children who're going to start developing superpowers any day now...

VERY nice. I like this idea a lot. If my players weren't all reading these boards, I'd probably steal it.

BWAH HA HA HA HA!

Re: Champions at War!

Originally posted by Alibear

Champions at war?

If and when it all kicks off in the Gulf, how are you going to handle it in your campaign?

Are the lads (and lasses) going to enlist?

Will the powers that be make them enlist?

Will they fight terrorists at home?

Will you have them design a "Suicide Squad" to take the War to Saddam?

Will you just ignore it?

Well, what you gonna do?

One of my Characters has a Secret ID as a resreve Air Force Colonel/fighter pilot. Not much choice there. His Hero ID is that of a Power Armored guy a la Iron Man. don't know how he could sneak out of the cockpit to bash in Saddam's bunker door.

Originally posted by Big Willy

Here's a scary idea that I only share because I'm not currently running a campaign.

In a supers universe, Iraq is a ticking timebomb not because of bombs, VX or anthrax, but because twelve years ago the soil was contaminated by vast quantities of depleted uranium. In the real world, that means an increased incidence of birth defects; but on Earth-Super, it means a generation of children who're going to start developing superpowers any day now...

According to the Federation of American Scientist site, depleted uranium was only dangerous to the Iraqi tanks they destroyed because of the incredibly low radiation 9especially negligeble in a desert enviroment) and the incredibly high coalition tank gun hit rate.

Originally posted by gewing

I have often said that I feel many campaigns under-rate the effectiveness of military forced versus superheros. True, this matches most comics, but...

I thought this was an impressive video... 3 times the impact energy of a 120mm smootbore, guided...

http://www.strategypage.com/gallery/default.asp?target=20030213.htm

I don't think, however, that getting a superhero team involved in full scale war is usually a good thing. WWII level, sure. Alien invasion, sure. Run of the mill miliatry conflict, they would be more likely to try to head it off if possible.

Maybe they would go in on their own to find out whether he "really" has wmd, and take them out if they exist...

That was a cool video.... But most of our characters are tougher than tanks :D

Well, the mages have gone to the frozen north and recruited a barbarian horde they intend to gate into Saddams royal palace when the fighting starts.

They have summoned, bound, and tortured a demon to identify the real Saddam and to ensure they get the right one.

They have also identified his true name: So Damned Insane!

Whoops, wrong genre...

GREAT Question!

In my newly restarted campaign...for a variety of historical reasons...supers are not really wanted if they are not "controlled" by the government and then they are a "necessary evil". The PC are trying to change things...

I plan to use an impending conflict as a reason for a misunderstood Hero to be called into action. This Hero was imprisoned for getting superpowers by causing Chernobyl. ;) The government has brain washed the guy and plan to use him as a secret weapon...should make for a cool side story as this guy hunts one of the PC...hehehehe...[evil GM snicker]...

Well, with three times the energy of a 120 smoothbore, it might actually be worth 8d6 K AP!

supposedly went in the front of an M-1 IPMI or later and out the back...

Originally posted by Chaosliege

Originally posted by Chaosliege

This brings us to the old Natoman Boards thread of exactly how powerful a modern tank is. The general conclusion was that most people were seriously underestimating the armor of modern tanks.

In general, given trends in recent games, I'm starting to get the feeling that there is going to be the increasing rise of the 50's-60's as a distinct genre to game in. That maybe for sixth or seventh edition Champions you're going to see a Silver Age Champions book in addition to a Golden Age Champions book.

Technology now is starting to catch up slowly with some of the supertech you find in some of the books. Cloning is an example of that. And of course robots and research and design work on exoskeletons (the foundations of powered armor) are also being worked on in the real world. Military weapons are getting nasty enough that giving people innate powers to match these weapons is upping the power scale considerably.

In short, some of the foundations of the Silver Age genre are being undermined here. We're entering a world closer to Cyber HERO now in the real world. And the days when an ordinary supers team could take on the army and do a lot of damage is coming to a close.