The Adventures of Mikael

Citizen Keen

Inspired by Enforcer84, I decided to sit down and start crafting my own world. I tried it once before, but it failed. I've realized I function much better building from the ground up, as opposed to the top down. Rather than start thinking about cosmology and the fundamentals of magic and so forth, it would be much easier to start with a small fort and build from there.

And that's what I'm doing. Here you will find my new campaign world, explored through the eyes of Mikael, a young man of 18 setting out to visit the continent of Amystus, the home of his parents.

I will post here once or twice a week (another reason I failed was I was too ambitious, trying to keep up with other "post a day" campaigns), and each post will consist of a journal entry by Mikael, followed by write-ups and game explanations of the things Mikael discovers.

And He's Off!The Eve of My DepartureTomorrow I will leave Fort Anze forever. I, Mikael Amante, am off to see the world of my parents. No more of this jungle backwater for me - I go to see civilization. At dawn tomorrow, I will begin the two day journey to Port Rican, and from there, I will head to Amystus, the Old World. It will not be an easy journey, but Jadus will watch over me through my travels. I've only been to Port Rican twice, and never on foot. Today I said goodbye to Warden Amillo and Mistress Gertrud, the cook. Master Dagun sold me everything I'd need for a journey - including my first sword! I've trained with one with the Warden, but this one belongs to me! Well, off to bed - tomorrow is going to be a long day.Day 1What a day! I sit here in the top of a canopi tree, watching the sun set. It's not safe to travel in the dark, not even on the road. Just after lunch, I saw a group of tooth-monkeys (or is it teeth-monkeys?) travel over head. I don't think they saw me though - they were in quite a hurry. Just a little bit before I stopped, I encountered a junginine. It growled at me, but I threatened it off with my sword and a lot of shouting. I've traveled into the Gundillo Jungle before, but it's different when I know I'm going to leave. The bright flowers seem crisper, and the constant thrum of animal noise in the background becomes much more pronounced. And I've never spent the night. My first great adventure!Day 2If I thought yesterday was adventurous, I had no idea what was coming my way today! While I was eating my lunch, I was attacked by a pack of junginines. They must have smelled my food. There were four of them, and I don't think I could have fought them off alone. Luckily, just as they attacked, a Liziscus came to my aid. I've seen lots of the reptile-men before in the trading post, but Warden Amillo always said they were a closed lot, and a bit cruel. He said his name was Izinith (after the fighting, of course!), and he seems quite nice to me. He said he's heading to Amystus as well, and we've decided to try to find a ship together. The gates to Port Rican are closed for the night, but tomorrow Izinith and I will enter and seek out a ship to bear us to Amystus. Tomorrow, I set sail!The Gundillo JunglesOn the northern shore of Vixis, a small continent that could be more accurately described as an island, is the Gundillo Jungle. A large jungle that takes an experienced guide a month to cross on foot, the Gundillo is home to many of the Liziscus, the reptile men. The Liziscus have built dozens of great cities deep within the jungle, and while many of the cities welcome other races, their location makes them almost unknown to the other races. The Great Races (specifically Men and Tritons) have made a very small foothold in the Gundillo, in the form of a small Port Rican and two smaller subsidiary trading posts - Fort Anze to the west and Fort Crino to the southeast. The jungle is home to a wide variety of flora worth finding and fauna worth hunting, but the Gundillo is famous for the much prized nibiscus flower (whose petals can make both an addictive narcotic and a deadly poison) and the famous skins of the Gundillo Cobra.The Liziscus

Cost Power END
2 +2 STR 1
3 +1 DEX
1 +1 PD
1 Scaly Skin: Damage Resistance (2 PD/1 ED); Activation Roll 14- (Does Not Protect hit Locations 10-13 in the Front; -1/2)
2 Running +1" (7" total) 1
8 Claws: HKA 1/2d6 (1d6+1 w/STR) (10 Active Points); Reduced Penetration (-1/4) 1
5 Tail: Extra Limb (1), Inherent (+1/4) (6 Active Points); Limited Manipulation (-1/4)
2 LS (Safe in Intense Heat)
Val Disadvantages
10 Vulnerability: 2 x STUN Cold (Uncommon)
The Liziscus are one of the oldest of the Beastmen created by Maia, the Seasonal Queen. They breed prodigiously, and control much of the desert and jungle of the world. Looking like your classic lizardmen, the Liziscus are varying shades of green in color, with their softer bellies generally a lighter color. The Liziscus are generally viewed as anti-social by other races, but they are by no means evil.Warden Amillo
Val Char Cost
10 STR 0
10 DEX 0
10 CON 0
8 BODY -4
12 INT 2
11 EGO 2
10 PRE 0
8 COM -1
2 PD 0
1 ED -1
2 SPD 0
4 REC 0
20 END 0
18 STUN 0
6" RUN02" SWIM02" LEAP0Characteristics Cost: -2
Cost Skill
3 Bureaucratics 11-
1 High Society 8-
3 Oratory 11-
3 Riding 11-
3 Tactics 11-
3 KS: Liziscus Tribes of Gundillo 12-
2 WF: Common Melee Weapons
10 +2 with HTH Combat
Skills Cost: 28
Cost Perk
3 Fringe Benefit: Warden of Fort Anze
Perks Cost: 3
Cost Talent
6 Combat Luck (3 PD/3 ED)
Talents Cost: 6
Val Disadvantages
10 Physical Limitation: Missing One Eye (Infrequently, Greatly Impairing)
Disadvantage Points: 10

Base Points: 25Experience Required: 0Total Experience Available: 0Experience Unspent: 0Total Character Cost: 35

Height: 1.85 m Hair: Gray
Weight: 90.00 kg Eyes: Blue
Appearance: A tall man, older, with gray hair and an eye patch.Personality: Distrusting of the Liziscus, Amillo is overall a good man who seeks to make the world, or at least his small corner of it, a better place.Background: Amillo of Anze was born in Port Rican and after joining the City Guard he quickly rose through the ranks. Eventually, he was put in charge of Fort Anze.Campaign Use: Warden Amillo makes an excellent starting patron for players starting in the Gundillo Jungle.Mistress Gertrud
Val Char Cost
10 STR 0
7 DEX -9
12 CON 4
8 BODY -4
8 INT -2
10 EGO 0
10 PRE 0
7 COM -1
2 PD 0
2 ED 0
1 SPD 0
4 REC 0
24 END 0
19 STUN 0
6" RUN02" SWIM02" LEAP0Characteristics Cost: -12
Cost Skill
3 PS: Cooking 12-
2 PS: Baking 11-
3 Bureaucratics 11-
3 Conversation 11-
Skills Cost: 11
Cost Perk
1 Headmistress of the Kitchen
Perks Cost: 1
Val Disadvantages
0 Normal Characteristic Maxima
5 Age: 40+
Disadvantage Points: 5

Base Points: 0Experience Required: 0Total Experience Available: 0Experience Unspent: 0Total Character Cost: 0

Height: 1.68 m Hair: Gray / Brown
Weight: 91.00 kg Eyes: Brown
Appearance: A plump, rosy-cheeked woman in her late forties, who is always laughing or shouting.Personality: If the players can get into the kitchen, Gertrud is an excellent source for reputable gossip - if she says it, and it happens in either Fort Anze or Port Rican, or anywhere between, then it happened.Background: Mistriss Gertrud of Fort Anze is the headmistress of the kitchen at the trading post. She is responsible for the kitchens that prepare the meals for the barracks and the two inns in the post, as well as the Warden's household. Up until recently, she also was responsible for raising young Mikael Amante.Campaign Use: Gertrud is almost exclusively flavor.Junginine
Val Char Cost
0 STR -10
16 DEX 18
12 CON 4
9 BODY -2
8 INT -2
5 EGO -10
15 PRE 5
10 COM 0
5 PD 5
3 ED 1
3 SPD 4
5 REC 6
24 END 0
20 STUN 5
7" RUN21" SWIM-11" LEAP1Characteristics Cost: 26
Cost Power END
15 Bite: HKA 1d6 1
9 Canine Senses: +3 PER with all Sense Groups
5 Canine Nose: Tracking with Normal Smell
3 Canine Ears: Ultrasonic Perception (Hearing Group)
Powers Cost: 32
Cost Skill
5 Concealment 13- (7 Active Points); Self Only (-1/2)
5 Stealth 13-
3 AK: Home Territory 12-
Skills Cost: 13
Cost Talent
3 Lightsleep
Talents Cost: 3Total Character Cost: 74
Val Disadvantages
15 Physical Limitation: Animal Intelligence (Frequently, Greatly Impairing)
5 Physical Limitation: Small (no larger than about 1m; +3" KB) (Infrequently, Slightly Impairing)
15 Physical Limitation: Very Limited Manipulation (Frequently, Greatly Impairing)
Disadvantage Points: 35Base Points: 75Experience Required: 0Total Experience Available: 0Experience Unspent: 0Junginines are spotted canines that have adapted to the jungle. They are territorial, but not overtly vicious. They generally have the same demeanor as wolves.

First Days at SeaDay 3Today the gates to Port Rican opened, and Izinith and I entered. Port Rican seems smaller than I remembered, but that may be because I've grown since the last time I was here. Izinith and I searched for a ship headed to Amystus, and we found a Triton vessel, the Sus'hawa, which apparently means Wave Skipper. It's headed for Tezanon. I've never heard of it, but I'm assured it's in Amystus. I've never met a Triton up close before, but from the way they move on their ship, I can see why they are also one of the Great Races, like Man. They move across their ship like it's the most natural thing in the world. The Captain of the Sus'hawa, Master Hushuh, told us we were welcome on his ship, but since neither Izinith nor I had enough coin for passage, we would clean the ship, run errands, and eat last. Izinith seems less than enthused, but I can't wait! Hushuh says the journey will be about two weeks.On the ship, I met one of the other passengers, a priest. Brother Chu seems to be a kind man, if a little caught up in his faith. He spends most of his time on the prow of the boat, in the sun. With skin as dark as his, he has no fear of a tan. Apparently, he's a member of the Order of Tahn in the First Church of the Mother. I don't know how he wears such thick robes in this heat.Day 6Not much has happened so far on the journey. A lot of deck scrubbing and lousy food. But I'm not complaining. I could watch the Triton work for hours. The way the sun reflects off of their blue-green skin... It's fascinating! And when they dive into the water - it may be the most amazing sight I have ever seen. I had heard about their tails, but yesterday Hushuh had to inspect the hull. He just dived into the water and his legs disappeared, and there was a tale! No wonder they wear skirts! The Triton women are also very beautiful, although I don't think I could deal with the scales on their necks and behind their ears. But their jewelry! All the Triton wear such fancy necklaces and earings, even the men. No rings though. I wonder why.Apparently, this ship belongs to a tribe of Waterwalkers, the Sus Huhallash'dai, or the Masters of the Wave Foam. One of the sailors, Wahss, was explaining to me that all Triton identify with one of three groups - Landwalkers, Waterwalkers, or Deep Triton. Landwalkers are the Triton who live on the land, and their skin is a much more colorful, including yellows and reds and purples (although it is still very much dominated by blue or green). Deep Triton live below the sea, and their skin is so pale it's almost ivory.Day 8Today I was wrestling with Izinith, and when he bested me (he does have a tail), I called him a "Child of the Father". Neither of us thought anything of it, but at dinner that night we were joined by Brother Chu, who scolded me. "You shouldn't swear so, Master Amante," he said. "Noone likes a blasphemer." I apologized to the Brother, and for my apology I was rewarded with a lecture on the importance of paying proper respect to the Mother Creator and the Father Destroyer, for each is half of the First Thought, and also to remember to love the Mother Creator and to fear the Father Destroyer in everything I do. Then, when I was late helping wash the dishes because of Brother Chu's scolding, I was yelled at by the cook!

Triton Racial Package Deal
Cost Power END
6 +2 DEX (Modifiers affect Base Characteristic)
2 +1 CON (Modifiers affect Base Characteristic)
8 LS (Expanded Breathing: Underwater; Safe in High Pressure; Safe in Intense Cold)
4 Swimming +4" (6" total) 1
4 Transparent Eyelids: +2 PER with Sight Group
3 Acrobatics 11-
-5 Physical Limitation: Takes One Turn to Transform From Walker to Swimmer (Infrequently, Slightly Impairing) [Notes: When a Triton is on land, he has two legs and walks at his normal rate. Upon first entering the water, his legs begin to transform into a tail. This takes a full 12 Segments, during which the Triton cannot walk or swim (although he can use his arms to crawl or swim at 1"). When a Triton returns to land, the process reverses itself, also taking a full Turn. This process is triggered by a greater than 80% immersion (or exposure to air) that lasts through the end of two of the Triton's two consecutive phases. (If a Triton enters a river on his first phase but gets to land before the end of his next Phase, the transformation does not occur. This prevents an opponent from simply splashing a canteen on the Triton during combat to disadvantage him.) If a Triton is wearing constrictive pants when this process occurs, he takes the DEF of the material in BODY as the pants rip through him.]
Cost: 22
The Triton are one of the four Great Races of the world, created when the Mother Creator infused some of her life essence with water. The Triton are on average the size of man, but with a much more disparate spread - they range from just over 1 metre tall to over 3 metres tall. But most are clustered in the range of 5 to 6 feet, just like Men. Their skin can range from very pale green and blue to dark green and blue, and can possess flecks of other bright colors, like red or yellow.They have scales on their shoulders and neck, on their forearms, and on their lower legs. They have gills behind their very large ears (although their ears are no better at hearing than the smaller ears of Men). Their fishlike appearance can be slightly disconcerting. Their hair color ranges from black to white, and through all marine colors.
Triton Waterwalker Cultural Package Deal
Cost Skill
2 AK: Home Waters 11-
3 Climbing 11-
3 Combat Driving 11-
0 Language: Triton (completely fluent; literate) (4 Active Points)
2 Navigation (Marine) 11-
2 PS: Sailor 11-
2 Survival (Marine) 11-
4 TF: Large Rowed Boats, Large Wind-Powered Boats, Rafts, Small Rowed Boats, Small Wind-Powered Boats
3 Trading 11-
Skills Cost: 21
The Waterwalker Triton are the great sailors of the world. They are not as xenophobic as the Deep Triton, but they have not left the water in the way the Landwalkers have. They sail the seas, diving off their longships and swimming with the dolphins. They are excellent merchants, and supply most of the exotic goods of the world through their extensive trading networks.Waterwalker Triton divide into Clans, each of which is lead by a Clanleader. Each Clanleader is elected by Captains, but Triton become Captains in different ways (some inherit their ships, some buy them, and some earn them from retired captains). Every Captain must be recognized before a gathering of Captains before they can vote in matters put before the Clan.Fond of decoration, the Waterwalkers wear lots of jewelry, specifically earings and necklaces. They don't generally wear rings as they interfere with their work. Their clothing is loose fitting, and most wear brightly colored sarongs.Waterwalker Tritons marry forlife, but are hesistant to commit to life partners because they have to choose their spouse over a ship, unless they are both Captains.
Cost
7 Faith 13-
2 KS: Religion (The Doctrine of the First Church of the Mother Creator) 11-
2 PS: Priest 11-
6 Choose Two (or more) [Notes: Bureaucratics, Conversation, Oratory, Paramedics, PS: Scribe +1, PS: Farmer +1, Tactics,]
1 WF: Axes, Maces, Hammers, and Picks, Clubs
3 +1 with Maces, Clubs or Staves
1 Religious Rank: Monk [Notes: Or higher Religious Rank]
-5 Social Limitation: May Not Own Property (Occasionally, Minor)
-15 Hunted: First Church of the Mother Creator / Order of Tahn 11- (Mo Pow, NCI, Watching)
Cost: 2
The First Church of the Mother Creator (usually referred to as the First Church) is one of the most powerful churches in the world. It's the largest by far, but infighting amongst each of the Orders prevents it from exerting its full influence. The Church has one Order for each of the Gods.Tahn, the First Son, is one of the most powerful gods in the Great Pantheon, and his Order is one of the most powerful in the First Church. While the Order of Tahn is famous for the Fist of Tahn, the paladins that ride in His name, the Order also has an extensive number of priests.The Order of Tahn fights for the same thing He does - protection of innocents. While the Fist of Tahn takes the sword to evil, the Brotherhood helps innocents fight what they see to be a much worse evil - apathy. The Order sends out monks all over the world to help remind people of the importance of faith.Captain Hushuh
Val Char Cost
10 STR 0
13 DEX 9
11 CON 2
10 BODY 0
14 INT 4
11 EGO 2
10 PRE 0
10 COM 0
2 PD 0
0 ED -2
2 SPD 0
4 REC 0
22 END 0
21 STUN 0
6" RUN06" SWIM42" LEAP0Characteristics Cost: 19
Cost Power END
8 LS (Expanded Breathing: Underwater; Safe in High Pressure; Safe in Intense Cold)
4 Transparent Eyelids: +2 PER with Sight Group
Powers Cost: 12
Cost Skill
3 Acrobatics 12-
2 AK: Home Waters 11-
3 Climbing 12-
3 Combat Driving 12-
0 Language: Triton (completely fluent; literate) (4 Active Points)
2 Navigation (Marine) 12-
2 PS: Sailor 11-
2 Survival (Marine) 12-
4 TF: Large Rowed Boats, Large Wind-Powered Boats, Rafts, Small Rowed Boats, Small Wind-Powered Boats
3 Trading 11-
Skills Cost: 24
Val Disadvantages
5 Physical Limitation: Takes One Turn to Transform From Walker to Swimmer (Infrequently, Slightly Impairing) [Notes: When a Triton is on land, he has two legs and walks at his normal rate. Upon first entering the water, his legs begin to transform into a tail. This takes a full 12 Segments, during which the Triton cannot walk or swim (although he can use his arms to crawl or swim at 1"). When a Triton returns to land, the process reverses itself, also taking a full Turn. This process is triggered by a greater than 80% immersion (or exposure to air) that lasts through the end of two of the Triton's two consecutive phases. (If a Triton enters a river on his first phase but gets to land before the end of his next Phase, the transformation does not occur. This prevents an opponent from simply splashing a canteen on the Triton during combat to disadvantage him.) If a Triton is wearing constrictive pants when this process occurs, he takes the DEF of the material in BODY as the pants rip through him.]
15 DNPC: Crew 11- (Slightly Less Powerful than the PC; Useful Noncombat Position or Skills; Group DNPC: x4 DNPCs)
5 Rivalry: Professional (Non-Triton Merchant Captains; Rival is As Powerful; Seek to Outdo, Embarrass, or Humiliate Rival; Rival Aware of Rivalry)
Disadvantage Points: 25

Base Points: 25Experience Required: 5Total Experience Available: 5Experience Unspent: 0Total Character Cost: 55

Height: 2.05 m Hair: Dark, Dark Blue
Weight: 122.00 kg Eyes: Gray Green
Appearance: Taller than most Men, Hushuh can be an intimidating presence. But his disarming smile and infectious laugh make it difficult for him to intimidate anyone for long. For unknown reasons, Hushuh doesn't wear earing on his left ear (which is quite noticeable because his right ear is nearly buried under all the jewelry).Personality: Hushuh gets a lot of joy out of outdoing non-Triton merchant captains, but he is not so driven that he will sacrifice the well-being of his crew. He also will not force his clan, the Sus Huhallash'dai, into bad situations (although he has caused them a little discomfort in the past).Background: Captain Hushuh is an older Triton Captain. He is well-respected by his crew, and by the merchants he has frequent deals with. He used to be quite wealthy, but he helped his wife (his former first mate) buy her own ship.Campaign Use: Hushuh and his ship make an excellent default Triton crew. They are not as powerful as many other Triton ships (they lack both the magic and the military expertise), but their ship is fast and reliable.

Re: The Adventures of Mikael

Nice! I've made a few worlds of my own. Here's the web site for my current campaign world... which I'm pretty much ready to scrap for a new one.

Aldgate

You'll notice in the maps section that the map of Aldgate has little dots and dashed lines connecting them. These are the main roads and towns/cities. Each dot has a number next to it. On the back of the map I have all those maps correlating with numbers. That way when they enter a town the conversation doesn't go, "You guys enter a town."

"What's the name of the town?"

"Ummmm... errrrr... Townerania?"

I found it to really add to the game... that and a list of fantasy names in my main folder.

Hope you like.

Magic!

Magic

The Nature of Magic

Magic is a universal force that permeates the planes of existence. With limited exceptions, it is not "consumed" when a spell is cast. Rather, the magic is manipulated to alter and affect the reality around the caster. It is a resource that can neither be horded nor expended.

No ancestral requirement must be met to wield magic. Casters must simply train in it, and casters may be of any race, any demographic. How you train depends on your culture - in some parts of the world, wizards take on an apprentice who they find to be intelligent and determined enough. In other parts of the world, wizards rarely adopt an apprentice unless their parent as enough money and influence to aid the wizard. Progressive parts of the world may have colleges where any may study, while some more draconian parts of the world may train slaves of suitable intellect in the arts arcane. Occasionally, people develop the ability to cast spells without any education. These "wild talents" recieve a wide variety of reactions from schooled mages.

Magic is not divided into any hard and fast "colleges". All teaching of spellcasting is biased towards a specific treatment of magic. If your school of thought believes that magic can be used in varying ways as a source of heat, then you act as such and study the art of pyromancy. If you're trained to manipulate magic to influence animals or the dead, then you've been trained as a zoomancer or necromancer. If you use magic as a portal to summon things, then you're a summoner, and so on and so forth. Many mages train in multiple arts, to expand their repertoire. Mastery of one magic (say, zoomancy or weather magic) can aid another (in this case, nature magic).

All magical spells are divided into two categories: Enchantments and Sorceries. Enchantments are spells that any caster with the right studying, with mastery of the pertinent "school" of magic can cast. He need not memorize them, or even really know them. He may cast them out of a book, or off a scroll, or from memorization. They are generally lengthy in casting time, and ill-suited for situations requiring expediency and proper timing (e.g. combat). Sorceries, on the other hand, are perfect for places like combat and adventuring. While they require much more practice (indeed, the caster must have memorized them), they are very useful and generally quick to cast.

Magic in HERO Game Terms

In game terms, spells may be cast by any character with the appropriate Power skill. Characters with Hydromancy may cast water spells, and characters with Divination may cast spells pertaining to information and the future. Many spells may be case by multiple schools - a "Summon Earth Elemental" spell may be case by both characters with Terramancy and Summoning. Some spells might require multiple schools - "Summon Magma Elemental" would require both Pyromancy AND Terramancy (or simply Summoning). Finally, some Power skills can be complimentary to other Power skills - Nature to a Zoomancy spell, for example.

Characters pay for Sorceries in much the same way as characters in the official Turakian Age do - they build the spell, and then pay for one third of its Real Cost. Enchantments do not cost points - they are part of the package for buying the appropriate Power skill. [See note.] The difference between Enchantments and Sorceries is arbitrary at best. Right now, I'm operating on the assumption that if it has serious combat repercussions, it's a Sorcery. If a Gm wants to run my campaign (and I'm really curious if people ever run other GMs campaigns that we post here on the forums), then please look at my example spells, and build yours based on that.

NOTE: After thinking about magic and whether spells should cost points, I decided to compare wizards against fighters. And I realized that fighters (and all other melee characters) have a two-tiered magic system. The lower tier is weapon familiarity: for 2 Character Points, a melee character is familiar with dozens of weapons, and is able to use them as equipment. A melee character pays two points, and with the right strength, he can get a 4d6 HKA. However, most melee characters don't stop there. Fighter types also (generally) buy martial arts, which are extra points for abilities that are above and beyond normal combat. So I decided to do the same thing with magic. The lower tier, Enchantments, cost few points for flexible abilities. However, the higher tier, Sorceries, cost points for each unique ability.

The Schools of Magic

Pyromancy

Cost Power END
1 Enduring Warmth I: LS (Safe in Intense Cold), 1 Continuing Charge lasting 1 Day (+0), Usable Simultaneously (up to 4 people at once; +3/4) (3 Active Points); Extra Time (1 Minute, -1 1/2), OAF (Natural Fire; -1), Requires A Pyromancy Roll (-1/2) [Notes: Enchantment - Does Not Cost Character Points]
7 Enduring Warmth II: Change Environment 4" radius, +5 Temperature Level Adjustment, 1 Continuing Charge lasting 1 Day (+1/4) (34 Active Points); Extra Time (1 Minute, -1 1/2), OAF (Natural Fire; -1), No Range (-1/2), Requires A Pyromancy Roll (-1/2) [Notes: Enchantment - Does Not Cost Character Points]
6 Burning Hand: RKA 1 point, Requires Pyromancy Skill (Character Must Have Spent 3+ Points on Pyromancy; +0), Sticky (Only Affects Flammables; +1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (9 Active Points); No Range (-1/2) [Notes: Sorcery - Costs Character Points (1/3)]
12 Fiery Fist: EB 4d6, Character Must have "Burning Hand" (+0), Lingering up to 1 Minute (+3/4) (35 Active Points); No Range (-1/2), Spell (-1/2), Requires A Pyromancy Roll (-1/2), Incantations (-1/4), Gestures (-1/4) [Notes: Sorcery - Costs Character Points (1/3)] 3
11 Torch's Wrath: RKA 2d6, Indirect ( Any origin, any direction; +3/4) (52 Active Points); OAF (Available Fires; -1), Gestures (Requires both hands; -1/2), Requires A Pyromancy Roll (-1/2), Varying Damage (damage depends on locally-available sources of flame; -1/2), Spell (-1/2), Incantations (-1/4), Limited Range (-1/4) [Notes: Sorcery - Costs Character Points (1/3)] 5
7 Ambient Warmth: Darkness to Sight Group 3" radius (30 Active Points); Only to Infrared Perception (-2), Requires A Pyromancy Roll (-1/2), Spell (-1/2), Gestures (-1/4) [Notes: Sorcery - Costs Character Points (1/3)] 3
6 Ambient Warmth II: Darkness to Sight Group 3" radius (30 Active Points); Only to Infrared Perception (-2), Increased Endurance Cost (x3 END; -1), Requires A Pyromancy Roll (-1/2), Spell (-1/2), Gestures (-1/4) [Notes: Enchantment - Does Not Cost Character Points] 9

Pyromancy is the art of setting things on fire. Practicioners of this magic view ambient magic as a source of heat, which can be used to ignite nearby objects, from wood to flesh to the very air around people. Of all the elemental wizards, Pyromancers are the most common and the most feared, for fire is a powerful force, yet one that is hard to control.

Divination

Cost Power END
8 Voices of the Future: Precognitive Clairsentience (Hearing Group) (40 Active Points); Precognition/Retrocognition Only (-1), No Conscious Control (Only Effects cannot be controlled; -1), No Range (-1/2), Spell (-1/2), Requires A Divination Roll (-1/2), Vague and Unclear (-1/2) [Notes: Enchantment - Does Not Cost Character Points] 4
4 Divinatory Sidestep: +2 with DCV (10 Active Points); Spell (-1/2), Costs Endurance Throughout (-1/2), Requires A Divination Roll (-1/2) [Notes: Sorcery - Costs Character Points (1/3)] 1

Divination is a complex art, one full of dangerous paradoxes. Thost who practice it have learned to see not only the ripples of time as they affect us now, but to interpret the influences of events past or events to come on the ebb and flow of magic around them. Those who delve to deep into the magic of divination, especially those who do it without religious strength, are frequently robbed of their sanity as they become more and more out of touch with what is going on in the present.

More to come...

Third Entry

Day 11

I met another passenger today - a crazy woman by the name of Anness. She must be two hundred years old, she's so wrinkly and hunched over. I've seen her around the ship, talking to herself, playing with all the beads on her cloak. Izinith says she reeks of bad omens. Today, she touched me, and started cackling. She said I would achieve great things, but that half my friends would betray me. She laughed some more and started talking about the burning of Jordom. I talked to Brother Chu, and he said that divination is a complicated and perilous craft, and I shouldn't pay any attention to Mistress Anness.

Day 13

We were attacked! Nothing big, but a flock of Avianals flew over us, and dropped rocks on the ship. The crew were able to shoot down two of them (and I was impressed, for Tritons are not known for their archery), and the flock retreated. Hushuh seemed angry about the damage to the Sus'hawa, but he assured the passengers that Gull Raiders are a common nuisance off the coast of Tezanon.

I saw one of the Bird-men when I was young. He had the head and wings of an eagle. These were different - they were seagulls, with bright white wings. Ang they didn't have tattoos on their arms like the eagle man did. The crew says that gullmen are the worst of the Avianals, petty and stupid and prone to mischief. It's a shame that anything that flew so majestically could be anything but virtuous.

Day 14

Land ho! This afternoon, while Izinith and I were mopping the deck, the Triton in the crows nest shouted down that Tezanon was off the prow, to the starboard side. Izinith and I raced to the front of the ship (he speaks with much wisdom, but I don't think he's any older than I am), but Master Hushuh yelled at us to return to our duties. Tomorrow, we make land in Tezanon, and I set foot on Amystus! The lights from Tezanon are very bright this evening, and I wonder what awaits in the land of my parents. I hope Izinith and I will still be able to travel together, but that is for tomorrow to decide.

Cost Ability END
13 Wings: (Total: 18 Active Cost, 13 Real Cost) Flight 6" (12 Active Points); Restrainable (-1/2) (Real Cost: 8) plus Extra Limbs (2), Inherent (+1/4) (6 Active Points); Limited Manipulation (-1/4) (Real Cost: 5) 1
6 +2 DEX
-2 -2 STR
-4 -2 BODY

Total Cost: 13

Options

+4 Scream of the Eagle: +10 PRE (10 Active Points); Only To Make Presence Attacks (-1), Incantations (-1/4)
+1 Talons of the Falcon: Remove "Limited Manipulation" from the Wings, Increasing Extra Limbs to Four (Wings are still limited, but Talons can grab)
+7 Eyes of the Hawk: (Total: 7 Active Cost, 7 Real Cost) +2 PER with Sight Group (Real Cost: 4) plus +3 versus Range Modifier for Sight Group (Real Cost: 3) 0
+3 Flight of the Sparrow: +1 with DCV (5 Active Points); Only While Flying at Full Combat Movement (-1/2)

Of all the Children of Maia, the Avianals are frequently considered the most distant. Created from the birds that dwelt in the private garden of the Seasonal Queen, the Avianals are able to fly high above the Great Races and the other Beastmen. This creates a slight emotional distance, since the Birdmen exist in a world of three dimensional travel. Sometimes this comes across as arrogance (in the predator types) or flightiness (in the prey variety), but many Avianals are able to overcome this, and build friendships with their ground bound brethren.

Avianals are a combination of man and bird. They have the arms and legs of a man, and the head and a wing of a bird. Their forearms are frequently covered in feathers, but they have fully articulate, five-fingered hands. And although they have beaks, the Nature Goddess Maia blessed them with the speech of the Great Races. Their feet are a combination of talons and man-feet. They're able to perch on them, but they're generally ineffective at grabbing things (but some defy this generality).

Like many of the Beastmen, Avianals come in a wide variety of types, depending on the bird they decended from. They frequently (but not always) have professions relating to the perceived personality of their respective bird. Eagle and Hawkmen are noble warriors, Sparrows and Pigeons are messengers and assistants, Gulls are raiders and bandits, and Doves are diplomats.

Landfall!

Day 16 - Morning

Tezanon, the Night's Rest. Yesteray we landed in Tezanon and I took my first steps onto Amystus. But the adventure began before we even entered the harbor.

The ship was aroused before dawn by a pounding on the side of the ship. The crew was shouting - we were being attacked by Ramheads! The sharks circled around the ship, charging into the hull. Just when I was coming up the stairs to the top deck, a crew member started shouting hysterically at Captain Hushuh - something called an Elder Ramhead was hitting the ship as well. I've never heard anyone swear like that! The crew grabbed a few crossbows and started shooting the Ramheads, who were either killed or swam away wounded. A few of the younger crewmen started shooting at the Elder Ramhead, until the Captain yelled at them to stop. I saw the Elder - it was all covered in barnacles and dried seafoam. The arrows just bounced off the shark, like they were lightly thrown rocks. Finally, the first mate grabbed a knife and dove into the water after all the other sharks were gone. The Elder Ramhead charged him, but the Triton just moved out of the way each time. Eventually, the first mate was able to grab onto the shark. The Triton's blood in the water drove the shark crazy, but the first mate held on. He started stabbing the underbelly of the Elder Ramhead, until the shark dove under the water. A few minutes later, the Triton floated to the surface smiling weakly. He was alive! Captain Hushuh says something must be stirring them out down their for them to be attacking this close to the harbor.

After some of the crew inspected the damage, we sailed into the harbor. We rowed ashore shortly after midday - the Wind Skipper won't be able to dock until tomorrow morning. When we set foot on the dock, I had to restrain myself - I nearly cried. I was finally on the land of my parents. Warden Amillo told me they hailed from a small village in the Wan Do Empire, which Brother Chu had told me was near Tezanon. As we gathered our things, the priest invited me and Izinith to travel with him to his monastery. It was five days by foot, and was on the border between Azona and the Wan Do Empire. I accepted his offer readily, enjoying the Brother's company, but Izinith took some time before agreeing, and he asked if we could spend a night in Tezanon. Brother Chu said of course, and we set out to find an inn.

Tezanon, Brother Chu told us, is also known as the Night's Rest, because its location makes it a great place to restock supplies for coastal sailing ships. While technically a free city-state, the ruling houses of Tezanon are wholly in the hands of the surrounding Kingdom of Azona, and all of Azona's sea trade goes through Tezanon. The small city's primary industry comes in the form of tariffs and docking taxes, as well as support for sea merchants. The Brother took a long time looking for an inn that didn't host a bevy of "ladies of a disreputable sort", and finally we found The Cup Overfloweth, and we rented a single room amongst the three of us. The Brother turned in early after some dinner and devotions, but Izinith and I wandered the streets of Tezanon, until we found our way to another tavern. We had heard rumors in every tavern we had stopped in about the go qwan dai games that played out in front of the fire every night at The Windy Whistle. Izinith and I, a little drunk, stumbled in and joined a set. Two hours later, Izinith and I were running through the streets, hiding from a group of drunken sailors who had accused Izinith of cheating. We had barely gotten out of that bar with our lives! My Liziscus friend claims he won the game legitimately, and I believe him. That's what friends do. And likewise, Izinith being a good friend, compeltely trusts me when I told him I lost all my money legitimately. And being a good friend, he reimbursed me all the money I had lost that evening. Even helping me out, Izinith had still amassed a tidy sum. We hid behind a midden heap for much of the night, and stumbled back to The Cup Overfloweth just in time to be woken up by Brother Chu, who likes to get an early start, because "an early start gives one more opportunity to affect the world for the better." We're resting now for the midday meal, and while I'd love to nap like Izinith, I must record my travels here, in my journal. More tomorrow.

Go Qwan Dai (and the Days of the Week)

This game is the most popular game played with the qwan dai[/] of Wan Do. Qwan dai cards are also popular with the Liziscus and with sailors, because the people of the Wan Do Empire wax their cards, making them the most likely cards to survive the rigors of the sea and jungle.

Qwan Dai decks have 72 cards - six days time six weeks, and a day and night for each. Each day has a profession upon it, save for the twelve cards representing Highday, the Day of Rest, which have places painted upon them. The six days are Dawnday, Sunday, Middleday, Eveday, Nighday and Highday. So, cards have names like First Dawnday, Third Evenight, and Sixth Highday. Many cards give the day cards a female persona and the night cards a male persona, to simplify the names. Thus, the Priestess is the First Highday and the Priest is the First Highnight.

The goal of Go Qwan Dai is to collect all of the best hand. Weekday cards are equal and trumped by Highday cards. The later the week, the better. And night cards trump day cards. The best hand is the "Restful Month" - all six Highnights. Players bet in turn based on their confidence in their hands.

Ramhead Shark

Val Char Cost
25 STR 15
15 DEX 15
23 CON 26
23 BODY 26
8 INT -2
5 EGO -10
18 PRE 8
6 COM -2
12 PD 7
6 ED 1
3 SPD 5
12 REC 4
46 END 0
48 STUN 0
0" RUN -12
24" SWIM 16
6" LEAP 1
Characteristics Cost: 98

Cost Power END
12 Ram Head: HA +6d6 (30 Active Points); Only When Performing a Move Through (-1), Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2) 3
20 Ram Head: Physical Damage Reduction, Resistant, 75% (60 Active Points); Activation Roll 8- (Only Protects Head (Hit Locations 3 and 4); -2) 0
3 Ramming Speed: Swimming +6" (24" total) (6 Active Points); Only When Performing a Move Through (-1) 1
20 Jaws: HKA 1d6+1 (2 1/2d6 w/STR) 2
8 Dermal Denticles: HKA 1 point, Inherent (+1/4), Damage Shield (+1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2), Continuous (+1) (19 Active Points); Always On (-1/2), Activation Roll 14- (-1/2), No STR Bonus (-1/2) 0
3 Tough Skin: Damage Resistance (3 PD/3 ED) 0
14 Heavy: Knockback Resistance -7" 0
6 Shark's Senses: +2 PER with all Sense Groups 0
5 Shark's Eyes: Increased Arc Of Perception (240 Degrees) with Sight Group 0
6 Shark's Nose: +3 PER with Smell/Taste Group 0
10 Shark's Nose: Targeting with Normal Smell 0
5 Shark's Nose: Tracking with Normal Smell 0
17 Electrosense: Detect Bioelectrical Fields, A Class Of Things 11- (Unusual Group), Sense, Targeting 0
35 Lateral Line Sense: Detect Physical Vibration, A Large Class Of Things 11- (Touch Group), Discriminatory, Analyze, Range, Targeting 0
Powers Cost: 164

Total Character Cost: 262

Val Disadvantages
35 Enraged: Berserk when smells blood (Common), go 11-, recover 8-
10 Physical Limitation: Enormous (up to 8m long; -4 DCV, +4 to PER rolls to perceive) (Frequently, Slightly Impairing)
15 Physical Limitation: Very Limited Manipulation (Frequently, Greatly Impairing)
15 Psychological Limitation: Voracious Appetite (Common, Strong)
20 Reputation: Man-eater, 14- (Extreme)
10 Susceptibility: to not moving in water, 1d6 damage per Turn (Uncommon)

Disadvantage Points: 120

Base Points: 75

Experience Required: 67

Total Experience Available: 67

Experience Unspent: 0

The Ramhead Shark is a breed of shark that has a very, very thick skull, and has learned that ramming and destroying smaller vessels leads to plenty of food. They are a great danger to ships.

Elder Ramhead

Val Char Cost
25 STR 15
15 DEX 15
25 CON 30
25 BODY 30
8 INT -2
5 EGO -10
20 PRE 10
6 COM -2
12/16 PD 7
6 ED 1
3 SPD 5
12 REC 4
50 END 0
51 STUN 0
0" RUN -12
24" SWIM 16
6" LEAP 1
Characteristics Cost: 108

Cost Power END
12 Ram Head: HA +6d6 (30 Active Points); Only When Performing a Move Through (-1), Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2) 3
20 Ram Head: Physical Damage Reduction, Resistant, 75% (60 Active Points); Activation Roll 8- (Only Protects Head (Hit Locations 3 and 4); -2) 0
3 Ramming Speed: Swimming +6" (24" total) (6 Active Points); Only When Performing a Move Through (-1) 1
20 Jaws: HKA 1d6+1 (2 1/2d6 w/STR) 2
16 Barnacles / Dermal Denticles: HKA 1/2d6, Inherent (+1/4), Damage Shield (+1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2), Continuous (+1) (37 Active Points); Always On (-1/2), No STR Bonus (-1/2), Activation Roll 15- (-1/4) [Notes: Check activation roll of 11- for Barnacles. If it succeeds, 1/2d6 HKA. If it fails, roll activation roll 14- for the Dentricals. If it succeeds, 1 pip HKA. If it fails, no damage.] 0
3 Tough Skin: Damage Resistance (3 PD/3 ED) 0
3 Barnacles: Armor (4 PD/0 ED) (6 Active Points); Activation Roll 11- (-1) [Notes: Protects top half of body. (15- if attacked from above, 8- if attacked from below, 11- if character is in melee combat.)] 0
14 Heavy: Knockback Resistance -7" 0
6 Shark's Senses: +2 PER with all Sense Groups 0
5 Shark's Eyes: Increased Arc Of Perception (240 Degrees) with Sight Group 0
6 Shark's Nose: +3 PER with Smell/Taste Group 0
10 Shark's Nose: Targeting with Normal Smell 0
5 Shark's Nose: Tracking with Normal Smell 0
17 Electrosense: Detect Bioelectrical Fields, A Class Of Things 11- (Unusual Group), Sense, Targeting 0
35 Lateral Line Sense: Detect Physical Vibration, A Large Class Of Things 11- (Touch Group), Discriminatory, Analyze, Range, Targeting 0
Powers Cost: 175

Total Character Cost: 283

Val Disadvantages
35 Enraged: Berserk when smells blood (Common), go 11-, recover 8-
10 Physical Limitation: Enormous (up to 8m long; -4 DCV, +4 to PER rolls to perceive) (Frequently, Slightly Impairing)
15 Psychological Limitation: Voracious Appetite (Common, Strong)
20 Reputation: Man-eater, 14- (Extreme)
10 Susceptibility: to not moving in water, 1d6 damage per Turn (Uncommon)

Disadvantage Points: 120

Base Points: 200

Experience Required: 0

Total Experience Available: 0

Experience Unspent: 0

The Elder Ramhead Shark has been around long enough to develop a thick crust of rocklike barnacle that grows only on Ramheads. It is very sharp, and makes the Ramhead nearly untouchable from above.