Chomp! Hey, let me out!

incrdbil

ok, we've seen it in countless movies--the big bad monster swallows the hero in one gulp--said hero hacks/shoots his way out, maybe while being digested, and usually kills the creature in doing so.

sometimes though, they are helpless, and are rescued/cut out by their friends

How would you go about doing this in Hero?

Re: Chomp! Hey, let me out!

The Bestiary Mentions this, and explains how it works. I don't have the book handy, but iirc, the monster had to be at least 4 times as large as the hero. The book mentions how much damage the assorted digestive fluids and muscle contractions in the monster aught to do, though these vary greatly from monster to monster. The swallowing isn't bought as a power, it's just a side benefit of being huge.

The Bestiary Mentions this' date=' and explains how it works. I don't have the book handy, but iirc, the monster had to be at least 4 times as large as the hero. The book mentions how much damage the assorted digestive fluids and muscle contractions in the monster aught to do, though these vary greatly from monster to monster. The swallowing isn't bought as a power, it's just a side benefit of being huge.[/quote']

This is how I'd rule it. It's not a Power unless the monster really isn't big enough to swallow the target anyway, and even then, it might still not be. A normal Hero System character doesn't have to pay for the ability to swallow a spider, and spiders have stats.

Definitely agree with previous two posts. It's part of the SFX of being large. Of course, now that size isnt governed by persistent Growth or Shrinking, it's possible that you could get a very cost-effective attack for virtually no points. So 'stop sign' I guess, in lieu of mechanical game balance.

Of course, the swallowee will pretty much automatically hit the swallower, at least until they're overcome - life support would be very handy! And for most SFX of armour, rPD and Forcefields, there's going to be no protection there. I'm guessing a 12d6 EB could do a lot of damage to someone's insides.

Phil

after reading these thoughts..

no range entangle, stops many senses, with some advantage to reflect how its difficult for those outside to attack the entangle (ie,open up the right spot on the monster) --and extra defense only against those outside atatcks, equal to the monsters normal defenses, with several linked continous uncontrolled attacks (digestive juices, constriction, etc) and a side effect that breaking out of the entangle does so much body to the monster.

sound good as a start?