Please help critique character (points)

Funksaw

Re: Please help critique character (points)

I love the character. There are never enough skills on most Hero charcters for my tastes. This one is an exeption. A few things...

Did you get "scholar" for this character? His KSs make it look like you did (12- for 2 points), but I don't see it listed. Maybe I'm missing it.

1) I'd lower the EGO to 14. Just because. Unless you plan to buy it higher eventually. That saves 2 points, more on these later...

2) For the Desolid. "Only for moving through suppression fire" seems like should be worth a lot more than (-1/2). I've never had a character need to do it, so I'd say at least a (-1), if not more. Making it (-1) saves 1 point. Making it (-1 1/2) saves 3 points.

3) With those 3 points, buy the INT up to 18. With all those KSs and SSs, the 18 INT just means so much.

4) Buy the Scientist skill enhancer. With 3 Science skills purchased, which you have, this pays for itself.

5) The "Wise-ass wit" ability is cool, but I don't really understand how it works. Not sure what I'd like to see istead. Maybe just a suppress presence? It seems to me that by the time someone attmpts a PRE attack, it will be too late to suppress it. If it works for you, though, ok.

That's about it. Most of this is just point squeezing. Ultimnately, I really like the character.

Another thing. And this one is HUGE! You spent 15 pts on SPD. This should get you a 4 SPD. Given the way this character is built, I'm guessing you only wanted a 3 SPD. As a result, you have 10 more points to spend.

Man, what a good feeling that is...

Got a few comments...

+ Lower the Dex to 14. 15 doesn't gain you anything in Heroic level except maybe the ability to beat the others with 14 Dex.

+ Raise the Int to 18.

+ Lower the Ego to 14 or maybe even 13. If the world does not have Psychics then I would definitely go 13.

+ Consider raising the Con and Body. One shot and this guy is stunned. The next round when he can't act he is dead. ;)

+ Definitely raise the PD and ED to at least 5. Way too low.

+ Consider getting WF in other stuff. Maybe Common Melee and definitely whatever is the most common sidearm. Recoiless Weapons are the most common?

+ I would pull the Telepathy and simply get a 3 point level with Mechanics, Electronics, and maybe Metallurgy. Most machines do not have Ego/Int. Computers might...not stuff a mechanic would touch.

+ I would check with the GM if the Manual is valid. Also the benefit seems like a lot but again...check with your GM.

+ For the Wit thing consider +10 Pre only for resising Persuassion or Intimidating effects. I think it does what you want a bit better.

+ I would also not allow the Disolid at all but again...check with your GM. It is also REALLY expensive for only suppression fire. That RARELY happens unless every weapon in this campaign is autofire. ;)

+ Consider also TF in something. You don't have to get Piloting but it seems like a kick butt mechanic might at least know how to turn on the engines and drive around a little. ;)

+ Consider Sys Op if your GM requires that for Shields, Engines, etc.

Yes, it is a Traveller campaign. From a Solomani pov. Except the Solomani and Imperium aren't as 'friendly' as they are in Canon. (Put it this way security was much tighter in the Jubilee year visit to Terra, involving several regiments of Imperial Marines, lots of local protests and violence and casualties on both sides.)

As far as the owner's manual, It's a bit extraneous since there are data terminals and hand comps that do the exact same thing without having to spend character points on them. In this case however, I thought it would be cool on a slightly cinematic level that this character has the ability to keep a memory module on him at all times (about the size of a fingernail) containing pertinent engineering data his experience deems necessary. Whether this is from palming the chip from the device before it confiscated, or having a number of backups available it all works out the same. The focus ends up being any data device capable of reading the memory chip and as such is as available as any foci.

Yup, as I explained to the players, if for some fluke of luck the marines start taking casualties, they just pull out, nuke it, and then go back in to sift through the ashes.

Unfortunately, the Jubilee celebration was meant to foster peace and goodwill not kill Terrans. The marines were out of their environment and essentially well armored targets. (Which is of limited use when the Solomani terrorists 'found' some cutting edge Light Assault Guns 'lost' by the Confederacy)

Between Star Mercs, Ground Forces, and (believe it or not) Sword Worlds you get a pretty good look at Imperial Marine tactics in both good wars and bad wars.

all three books were well written, its just too bad it took so long to see them published for traveller... Ground Forces and Star Mercs would have been great during the CT era as companions to Striker

for that matter Imperial Squadrons should have been written as a companion to High Guard years ago...

one of these days I will do more Traveller to Hero conversion stuff

what I've done already is over at starherofandom

Well, having been a part of a really great freelance far trader game during the LBB days I can see both sides of that. While the extra background would have been great (not just the military, but all aspects of life in the early 1100s) I also remember really enjoying watching the setting unfold in front of us. I was reading through my collection of old JTAS and between the TNS entries in the front and the WAR! issue, it really brought back how cool it was that Marc and Loren made you feel like days were passing and events unfolding as you played.

I guess that was one of the charms of the old first gen games. Stuff we think of as being gimmicky or hackneyed today were 'cool!' back then. ;)

I've seen your site. You come up as a 'linked to' reference to my site when I google it.

I grew up on Traveller and Champions, living a mile from GDW didnt hurt when it came to traveller stuff, but traveller never really was that big here in town, Hero has always had a better following locally, which isnt a bad thing, I did some playtesting over the years which was always interesting... I have never gotten rid of my LBB set of traveller, I do have a copy of Champions 2 thats in tatters, but is still readable, along with Enemies 3, it was great to see Marc republish Traveller in the big reprint volumes, but I still like my little black books the best

we'ved rehashed the topic multiple times, but I want to go back to doing more traveller to Hero conversions, what do people want to see?