Damage Resistance

buzz

Dumb question here...

What's the point of Damage Resistance?

I.e., what's the real difference between it and Armor? DR makes a character's PD or ED resistant. Armor is resistant PD or ED. Why would I use one instead of the other? I mean, isn't buy up a lot of PD/ED and making it resistant the same effect as buying a bunch of resistant PD/ED?

Also, FREd mentions that DR can be used for Mental, Flash and other types of defenses. How does this work? E.g., what kind of mental attack would require resistant mental defense? A KA BOECV?

You'd think I'd be able to figure this out myself, having played the game since 7th grade. :rolleyes:

Okay the value of DR is as follows:

A character can make his Free PD/ED resistant

Armor: Can be used by characters with NCM to up there protection

FF: Useless (new adder modifies this to Next to Useless)

Yes when used on a secondary defense (FD, MD, PowD,PD) it is for AVLD's (Or its minor brother BOECV) primarily (while other attacks may use it for some reason)

One HUGE difference is that they are treated as separate powers for the purposes of adjustment powers (a drain pd won't drain armor and vice versa), find weakness (must be found on pd or armor separately), and lack of weakness (must be purchased for pd or armor separately).

As a side note, people with Dmg Resistance tend to be good at bouncing Killing damage and not so good at bouncing normal damage. compared to people who have an equivalent character points worth of Armor.

For example if I have a 10 PD and a 10 ED and make them Resistant for 10 points I can bounce 10 killing or normal damage so 2d6 KAs are likely to get shrugged, but 6d6 EBs will get 8 to 10 thru on average. If the same character spent 9 points on Armor, he would get 3/3 and thus would bounce slightly more normal damage but much less killing.

In general its more efficient to make your base PD/ED resistant than to buy Armor.

In 5th many of the villains seem to favor a high PD/ED with Damage Resistance. Armor seems to be reserved for characters that actually have quote unquote Armor of some sort.

The only reason I can detect for Damage Resistance being a separate Power from Armor is for those cases where you want your rPD to be greater than your (Full PD - Figured PD).

For instance, if you have STR 50 and PD 20 and want 15 of it to be Resistant, then buying it with Armor would be kind of clunky (you'd have to buy off part of your figured PD). Same for ED.

If it weren't for those cases, Armor would cover it.

Remember, "Armor" (the Power) is not the same as "armor" (a special effect).

It seems more cost effective getting Damage Resistance (1 CP to convert 2 pts. of normal defense into resistant defense) than Armor (3 CP to add 2 pts. of resistant defense between PD and ED). However, the limit of Damage Resistance you can acquire is the value of whatever defense you're making resistant, while Armor has no limit.

Armor would seem more appropriate for suits of armor, where you can reduce it's CP cost with OIF, Real Armor, and Mass (depends on armor).