The Ultimate GM

buzz

In some thread a while back, someone was lamenting the fact that building NPCs for HERO was time-consuming, adding a lot of work to all the other responsibilities GMs are burdened with. Then, someone else (probably Monolith) suggested that NPCs, mooks in particular, don't always have to be fully "built"; i.e., there are some key stats that you need to know, and then you can just not worry about doing all the normal accounting.

This, I thought, is really good advice. In fact, it's the kind of good advice that could be part of a book filled with good advice for HERO GMs. The Ultimate GM.

Does anyone else think this is a good idea? If so, what would you like to see in it?

I was thinking advice like the above; maybe a guide to teaching the HERO system, i.e. "How to Help Newbies Understand HERO"; how to "wing" HERO properly; more guidelines on judging if a power or PC is abusive or not; and so forth.

I dunno. I'd buy it. :)

I don't know that The Ultimate GM would be the right title for it, but I have been wondering why HERO has never really addressed this in a published book. Matters like world building, campaign tone and feel, broader notes on meta-genres (comedy, romance, and so forth), and other issues that have been left to the genre books would be included. There could also be tips on things like blue-booking, use of props, and other "extras" that can enhance a game, along with system-generic issues such as play-by-email, dealing with problem players, and such.

A better title... The GM's Vault, perhaps?

Originally posted by Steve Long

I do have an idea for a book I'd like to do called The HERO System User's Guide that would have info for both GMs and players, but it's one of those "if I ever have the time" types of projects. ;)

If you do ever have time, I'll be first in line to buy a copy. :)

Sounds pretty cool. I love reading stuff like this. It never fails. I always think I have a good handle on the system and running the game, then I come up against something that makes me feel like a moron. I love tips and stuff on gaming.

Perhaps a series of Digital Heroes articles? Or an eBook?

Originally posted by Nato

Perhaps a series of Digital Heroes articles? Or an eBook?

I'd prefer harcopy myself. As for a series of articles, well, there have been (and will continue to be) articles of this ilk. My preference is to see them all collected and organized in a single volume. :cool:

Something I'd like to see somewhere (in the book under discussion, in a series of DH articles, in a book of its own, or whatever) is a broader discussion of the "meta-genres" that have been examined in the genre books. Adventure is an obvious one and horror is close behind, but comedy, mystery, and romance are a little harder to pull off in a role-playing game and could use some guidelines.

(Heck, if each meta-genre was given its own book, I have little doubt that I could manage the Mystery and Comedy ones. Such a series would consist of relatively small books -- probably no more than 100-150 pages -- but if done right they'd appeal to gamers of all systems.)