Sword and Shield

Roger Books

I'm making a character who has been trained by the city militia to fight with a Short Sword and Shield. He gets 2 levels with SS, OCV only, and 2 with Shield, again OCV.

He has a CV of say 3.

He wants to do a shield block and swing his SS. Do the two weapons penalties apply? Does he roll with a CV of 7? 3 base + 2 shield + 2 levels. While blocking I assume he doesn't get the 2 DCV for shield and cannot contribute to a shield wall. Can he receive benefits from the shield wall?

I realize I can house rule it, but I'd like to know the base before house rules.

TIA

Roger

Re: Sword and Shield

As far as I can tell are there are no penalties involved with swinging a sword nor with blocking with a shield. Unless of course he lacks the WF: Blades or WF: Swords.

During his phase, the guy cannot both Block and Strike. It would work something like this: Presume he is SPD 3, the guy is being attacked, he aborts to Block and tries to do so. He used up his phase 4 in order to block so he can't do anything until phase 8. During phase 8 he can swing his sword or hold his action until phase 11. He would get to again on phase 12.

The type of bonuses he gets to attack depend on what type of skill levels you bought. I should note that people don't often buy +OCV with shield.

But from what you said, he has +2 OCV with Short Sword, so when he attacks he gets his base CV (you said 3) +2 OCV for a total of 5 OCV. The bonus he has with shield has nothing to do with attacking with his sword. He would have been better off buying +2 With All HtH.

Shadowpup pretty much hit it perfectly. The OCV bonuses applied to your shield don't work for when you are attacking with your sword, and vice versa.

Now I can see a reason for wanting OCV levels with a shield, it helps you block better when you use the block maneuver or the occasional shield bash, but the majority of the time they are useless.

I think that you misunderstood the original post :nonp:

If the question was CV:3 +2OCV /w Shields +2OCV bonus fur using a shield to block, then the result should be an effective OCV of 7 for blocking with the shield. :rolleyes:

greets from berlin

swobeas

I believe counterstrike would be used here. It must follow a block, plus you get to actfirst against your target.

You act on 4, 8, 12. You are swung on in 4, but choose to abort to block. You haven't acted yet, so can do this. You manage to block (with your shield) the attack. On phase 8 against that *ONE* opponent, you go first. You get a +2 OCV / +2 DCV for this maneuver, plus and skill levels.

But no, you use your OCV vs. your opponent's OCV when blocking.

Ner0

I think what he was saying is that even if you are performing a Block, you still gain the benefits of having the shield.

That is, you do the OCV vs. OCV Block and if you fail you still have the bonus of the shield (like +2DCV or so for a medium shield).

I think what he was saying is that even if you are performing a Block, you still gain the benefits of having the shield.

That is, you do the OCV vs. OCV Block and if you fail you still have the bonus of the shield (like +2DCV or so for a medium shield).

You are correct.

Maneuvers are king.

I would think you would lose the DCV bonus of the sheild while using it to actively block or attack, right?

Of course, you can't Block/Attack in the same phase (unless your GM is very easy-going) but you can simulate that, especially with the skill levels the character posses.

Medium Shield: +2 DCV/+2 skill levels

Short Sword: +2 Skill levels.

OCV 3 DCV 5. normally.

Attacking with Sword, using Sword levels for OCV, sheild levels for DCV.

OCV 5, DCV 7

Attacking with Sword, using both Sword levels and Sheild levels for DCV

OCV 3, DCV 9

Blocking with Sheild, using levels for OCV (to improve block), Sword levels are for DCV

OCV 7, DCV 5

Any way you go, this character is pretty good!

I think its better to keep the sword and sheild skill levels seperate. More expensive, sure, but if he looses one of the weapons, he is not deprived of his levels for the remaining weapon.

I think there is an optional rule which allows you to add the DCV bonus of your shield to your OCV if you perform a block maneuver with it.

I don't know if you would still get the shield bonus to dcv if you failed to block.

I've found the rule. its on page 334 of FREd (non-revised)

Sheilds are built as Skill levels of course, and there is your answer. Skill levels can be used for either augmenting OCV or DCV, but not both simultaneously. Thus, if you used your sheilds DCV bonus to OCV to block, you do indeed lose the DCV bonus for that phase.

And its not an optional rule, its official.