My group voted ... It's Star Hero!

Jkeown

Re: My group voted ... It's Star Hero!

AW has lots of good package deals, lots of good tech. I'd recommend getting it just because I love gizmos in my games. From what I remember there are PDs for every branch of the military, and quite a few for each branch. I'd say the book is worth it just for the crunch factor, as most HERO stuff is, although I don't think I'd run a campaign in it but that's just 'cause of my lack of imagination for that genre.

Terran Empire also has lots of PDs for the military (I'm assuming your'e looking for military if your looking at AW.)

We are actually playing Mercenaries in my old GURPS Space setting. Sorta converting it to HERO on the fly. They requested a "Firefly Feel" to it. Having only seen one episode of FF, I don't know how close I'll get. I do think I'll have a look at Firefly Hero, tho....

AW is worth getting. The PD's are not the greatest, but are useful insofar as they are good examples you can work from. Free advice to the HERO staff--please stat-out enemies and members of races, dont just give a PD. I LIKE the character description and format with a neat picture of the creature next to it. I found the Xenovore section lite without this. A few 'typical' characterrs of each race might have been nice, too.

I bought the Prefabs for it. But I don't own the book yet. It's on my list.

The setting is very like Terran Empire, but with some Ancient History thrown in to make it more Star Wars-like, some Big Governments to make it more Star Trek-like and some Weird Organizations and Philosophy to make it more Dune-like.

For example, we have Force Swords (Lightsabers) but they are relics of a previous age of the galaxy, and there is no Official Monastic Order to train you in using one. Force Sword Fencing is kind of a Hidden Art, you have to go find a Master to train you. The Union Science Council (holder of all the Psionic and Weird Technique cards) has agents that would love to get their hands on one. "But Jedi? We ain't got no Jedi..."

Then again, there are the Auroran Stars, a Secretive Alien Government of Xeno-humans (humans who grew up near another star, "native" if you will, to a different planet than Earth) They do have an Elite Corps who use toned-down versions of Force Swords (not nearly so powerful as the Ancient Artifact Swords...)

I'm also working on other things to separate Union from TE, like the addition of psions who can talk to planets... but now it starts to sound like D&D in space... and I have a setting that is full-on Fantasy Space (Exodus), so it can't get too weird.

I dunno... I do lots of weird stuff...