Coin Spell

Old Man

I'm having trouble with making a spell. The special effect I'm trying to achieve is this: The magician enchants a number of silver coins (say 5) to swirl around him. He can then choose to send one or more of the coins flying at a target at high velocity.

RKA, Autofire (maybe), *shrug* How to do the charges bit?

Re: Coin Spell

From your basic description, it sounds like "5 Charges" would cover it, but I think we would need more details: for example, are the coins destroyed or otherwise "used up" after they hit the target, or can they be recovered? Is there any time or difficulty for the magician to "enchant" the coins before using them? While they're swirling around him, can an opponent grab them out of the air? Does their "swirling" confer any other benefits?

Extra time would just be Extra Time, I suppose 1 phase to enchant the coins would make sense. They confer no additional abilities while dancing about the magician's head. Since they are coins, I figure you can use them again (unless you use them to attack a wall or some such which would destroy the coin anyway). There is nothing wrong with the magician digging more coins out of his pocket either. On the same note, if he has no silver coins, he can't cast the spell.

Extra time would just be Extra Time' date=' I suppose 1 phase to enchant the coins would make sense. They confer no additional abilities while dancing about the magician's head. Since they are coins, I figure you can use them again (unless you use them to attack a wall or some such which would destroy the coin anyway). There is nothing wrong with the magician digging more coins out of his pocket either. On the same note, if he has no silver coins, he can't cast the spell.[/quote']

In that case, my suggestion would be simply RKA, Autofire, Extra Time - +1 Phase, OAF - Coins. They're readily available, and replaceable by either taking more coins out of your pocket, borrowing some from a friend, or picking used ones back up off the ground, so Charges would be unnecessary IMO. However, the magician can still be deprived of coins by an opponent or circumstances, making the spell useless.

If the Extra Time only applies to enchanting five coins initially, but the magician can thereafter fire off any of the five as a standard half-Phase action, I'd reduce the value of the Lim as per Extra Time, Only To Start for a Constant Power.

OTOH if the coins would remain in the target after use like a bullet, and/or can be lost in tall grass etc., I'd add Expendable to the Focus Lim.

If the Extra Time only applies to enchanting five coins initially' date=' but the magician can thereafter fire off any of the five as a standard half-Phase action, I'd reduce the value of the Lim as per Extra Time, Only To Start for a Constant Power.[/quote']

I agree with the rest of the construct, but I'd keep the Extra Time constant and add the Trigger advantage if the coins can be fired off later by an "act of will".

I dunno about Boostable Charges. It doesn't seem right that all the coins would strike the target in the same place, unless the spell also had Reduced Pen.

So what about the grabbing or knocking down the unused coins bit? Not necessary but would be nice to know.

Since once you lose your OAF, you can't use the power anymore, that doesn't sound right - even if someone swipes you coins you can always get more. I'd suggest restrainable (that covers someone swiping the coins out of the air) and use consumable focus (easily replaced), to reflect the fact that you need to use silver coins, but that silver coins are pretty easy to come by in most cases.

cheers, Mark