Traveller Character Conversions: Rules discussion

shadowcat1313

Re: Traveller Character Conversions: Rules discussion

More Skill Notes:

its been suggested that Brawling be treated as a martial Art, In Traveller terms Brawling 1 and 2 are not considered a martial art.

Robot Ops: this is a book 8 skill, should we treat it as a seperate skill or as a TF? or as a Sys Ops ?

Medic Skill: In traveller terms, it takes medic-3 to qualify as a doctor

Engineer Skill: Engineer-3 to qualify as a chief engineer

should Zero G Combat be a seperate skill or should we use Environmental movement instead

Combat Rifleman Weapon Group[3]

Rifle

Automatic Rifle

Carbine

Advanced Combat Rifle

Gauss Rifle

Option to include Shotguns

Optional Skills:

Scrounging[From TNE]

Willpower[TNE] I figure this one could be simulated with the resistance talent

zero g combat first level eliminates any penalties for fighting in zero g, environmental movement would be served by control jets or other things that would be in a space suit or grav belt

levels beyond the first count as ocv/dcv modifiers at +1 per level

for weapons same basic rule applies, first gives proficiency, further gives bonuses

More Skill Notes:

its been suggested that Brawling be treated as a martial Art, In Traveller terms Brawling 1 and 2 are not considered a martial art.

My thought is just make it +1 with HTH and +1d6/+2d6 HA.

Robot Ops: this is a book 8 skill' date=' should we treat it as a seperate skill or as a TF? or as a Sys Ops ?[/quote']

If it's operating a Robot, we should make it a Sys Ops. If it's like Recon in that it includes multiple skills, ie Sys Ops + Computer Programming + Electronics, then we should define it as such. I don't have book 8, so I don't know how they are defining it.

Medic Skill: In traveller terms' date=' it takes medic-3 to qualify as a doctor[/quote']

Which is Paramedic +2 and SS: Medicine +2

Engineer Skill: Engineer-3 to qualify as a chief engineer

Which is SS: Engineering +2

should Zero G Combat be a seperate skill or should we use Environmental movement instead

Have to think about that one. I can envision it as including both Environmental Movement and a PS:

Optional Skills:

Scrounging[From TNE]

Willpower[TNE] I figure this one could be simulated with the resistance talent

Scrounging should probably be an INT-Based or PRE-Based PS. It needs wits and charm.

Willpower - I agree.

Eodin's suggestions sound good to me.

I only have the little black books, so I can't comment on any MT or TNE skills.

I think Robot Ops does include programming the robots, so it will have to translate as 2 or more skills. I'll have to check book 8 tonight.

Another suggestion I meant to add: If you are rolling a Traveller character specifically for the purpose of converting to Hero, it may be more appropriate to allow the player to choose his skill from the table(s) available to him, rather than rolling for the skill. The player should ONLY be allowed to choose from a table available to him (due to branch of service, MOS, rank, Education, etc.), but should be free to choose any skill he could roll.

This might be an optional rule, depending on the GM.

For some reason, I didn't think about it earlier, but The Ultimate Martial Artist has a Zero Gravity Combat martial art, which might be a good option for converting Traveller characters with high levels of Zero G Combat. Doesn't cover all bases, since the Traveller skill includes zero g gun combat, but....