Revenge is Sweet

nightbringer256

hi guys

some of you may remeber a post of mine awhile ago about how my PC's trounced Dr. D. well i want that to come up and bite them in the a**. instead of just outright killing them Dr.D wants to humilate them. Preferable by doing something along the lines of setting them up to hand him the world on a silver platter. However i have no idea how to do this, any long term or short term plot ideas would be wonderful.

thanks

night

Re: Revenge is Sweet

Humilation is nice... abject fear is better. Have Dr. D use his brains to find out what makes the heroes tick and strike them where it really hurts.

In my Silver Knights universe, Dr. D was defeated by the Knights in the Day of the Destroyer adventure. They were able to get onto the island with the help of a retired Knight called Dolphin who was able to find an underwater path into his base and thus bypass his defenses.

Well, the good Dr. D powered up Dolphin's old enemy Baracuda and siced her on her semi-secret home/lab in the Pacific. Dolphin got trashed by the psychotic killer (think Ray from Classic Enemies or Marvel Comic's Tiger Shark) and it was about to *eat* her son (she's a single mother) when Dr. D appears and calls off his pet. Acting as a beneficent person, he grants her the favor of her son's life but on the grounds that she never aid the Knights again. She gives in.

Basically, Dr. D showed that he could on teh surface be a good guy and affect the air of a benevolent lord but with the promise of swift and terrible retribution against those who she loves... and that there is no hiding from him. It also shows a tragic element in my universe that a hero (even a retired one) can be so neutered.

Just make sure everyone is mature and open-minded enough to know the difference between Dr. D. humiliating the PCs and you humiliating the players.

Revenge is a dish best served cold.

I don't think Dr. D. -if going for humiliation- would care for physically beating them up. Perhaps, with his many contacts, he works to uncover their secret ID's and then to ruin the companies they work for (such as high-end scandals that are designed to be discovered, which would have circumstantial evidence, nothing direct, implicating the PC's). Then perhaps, he works on embaressing the super hero side. Maybe a shapeshifter is hired to be 'caught' in compromising positions (a person of the same gender, a married person, a criminal of the opposite sex, buying drugs, etc.). When this last aspect happens to the entire team within a week or two, the PCs' detective skills will need to go into overdrive (hopefully they can call up some kind of witnesses to not only vouche for where they were, but witnesses that say "you know, Mr. Speedster was buying drugs, but he never ran in my presence, in fact, he took a car."

Even when the PCs have all but proved their innocence, there will still be a lot of distrust from the PCs. Maybe their base is closed for safety reasons or checks (a large amount of vermin have recently infested the place, somehow). When they are 'out' having drinks or discussing this, Dr. D. shows up.

I don't know who all you had with Dr. D. last time, but perhaps this time Gigaton and the others are present. Not necessarily to fight, but brow beat the PCs (having them too scared to fight that number of high-powered villains). If there was no fight then, the footage of the tape goes to the press, except Dr. D's assistants have been edited out.

If your PCs are powerful enough to face Dr. Destroyer, then perhaps they can face Menton as well. :)

The heroes come across information that leads them to some of Menton's bribed, coerced, or outright mind-controlled pawns in influential positions. Over the following days/weeks/months of game-world time they are drawn further into Menton's network (if necessary, prompted by mysteriously delivered clues) until they become a serious threat to his plans, and he takes action against them. This may be subtle at first - attempts to subvert one or more of the heroes, use officials under his control to harass them, ferret out their secrets to use against them, etc. Again, though, the heroes receive covertly-supplied information or resources from an unknown benefactor that counter Menton's actions.

In the end Menton is angered and frustrated enough to face the heroes who have plagued him directly, in a climactic confrontation. Either Menton or the heroes may be winning depending on how powerful the PCs are. At the climax of the fight, when one side or the other has just gone down to defeat, Dr. Destroyer suddenly appears (with whatever agent and supervillain backup you deem necessary) to smash the exhausted victor(s). He then reveals that he is the one who has been guiding and "assisting" the heroes against Menton, and has been watching them for the moment that they force Menton out of hiding to face them. The Doctor then collects his erstwhile servant, whom he declares will now be made to serve him again... and casually mentions that he (Destroyer) has now also gained control of Menton's worldwide network of pawns. :eek:

Hmmm...with a nod to the latest Thunderbolts incarnation, can Dr. D provide them with tips, funding, etc. to enable them to go out and clash with some of his own minions?

concept being, all this high profile stuff increases chaos out there in the world, and possibly masks what Destroyer is really up to. As well, he can be anonymously tipping them off to the real threats to his plans, so they clear the road for him.

"Why did I tell you about these dangers? Why did I continue, even when you clashed with some of my own minions and machinations? It's simple...when the dust settled, you had removed may threats to my plans. And that leaves only you - no threat at all!"

I once GMed a player who ended up with too many toys and made a lot of lucky rolls. He thought he was untouchable. WRONG! His enemies brought him down by waging a major propaganda war, turning the public against him. The bad guys then kidnapped his girlfriend and lured him into a trap. In the end, he won, but his girlfriend was dead, and he was wanted for murder. He decided to leave town permanently.