Do Actroids Dream of Electric Sheep?

gojira

Re: Do Actroids Dream of Electric Sheep?

Is it just the unit on the left/right, or the entire "application illustration" - because I don't think there is enough room in the basic unit shown on the sides for both actuators AND sensors. Let alone the necessary CPU space for voice recognition.

I have no idea. I personally would have guessed that it was just the unit and the box, because the Japanese can make *everything* really small, but there sure might be a mainframe or something hidden out of view.

I figure we'll have replicants in just about 10 years, what do you think?

I think no.

Mainly because the Bladerunner replicants are synthetic biological androids - not mechanical or electronic.

If they were inorganic androids, then possibly...

Organic - no way. Too many ethical questions for politicians to muddy up.

What we will have (or the Japanese wil have) within 15 years are Real Doll's (you can search for the web site, but it's not work safe) with moderately good AI and the ability to perform the simple physical tasks they were designed for, reception-bots with very good AI and the ability to perform basic physical tasks, Security Bots, etc, etc...

And that many fewer working class and entry level jobs. Should be interesting.

I have no idea. I personally would have guessed that it was just the unit and the box' date=' because the Japanese can make *everything* really small, but there sure might be a mainframe or something hidden out of view.[/quote']

I would think, gojira, that in your forays to Japan, you've found almost everything really small, whether it was designed that way or not....

Is it just the unit on the left/right' date=' or the entire "application illustration" - because I don't think there is enough room in the basic unit shown on the sides for both actuators AND sensors. Let alone the necessary CPU space for voice recognition.[/quote']

I don't see why you couldn't get both the motors and the sensors inside the figure. But for the sake of cost & maintenance, more likely the sensors are in the overhead piece shown on the diagram.

Assuming it runs on AC and not batteries, you could probably put the computer in the "seat." But again that would entail excessive engineering, custom parts, extra maintenance and upgrade limitations for something you could just as easily stick under the desk or in the next room.

Something tells me that this animatronic's expressions and gestures will be anything but "natural." Uncanny valley, big time. Stick a C-3PO figure back there instead.

True - I've not yet seen a convincing animatronic head in any Holywood blockbuster. And if they can't do it for entertainment (where big bucks are thrown away on special effects), then they aren't likely to do any better for public access utilities.

Why would Hollywood want a convincing animatronic head? If they want convincing, they go with a real human. If they want to show off the fact that they have a robot head, making it too convincing is wasting money.

Caveat: once again, I'll point out that I've been drinking tonight, so anything I say may or may not make sense. Ask me again tomorrow.

I would think' date=' gojira, that in your forays to Japan, you've found almost everything really small, whether it was designed that way or not....[/quote']

Good one. Truly you are Master of the Obvious. It's not my fault, however, that humans don't build streets wide enough for a 200 foot tall rubber monster. And those building fall over way too easy! Just one little touch of the tail and BOOM! All I wanted was to buy some pocky....