The Size of a Hex

Hugh Neilson

This spins out of a discussion on an area effect gas NND attack and how much damage it can do (yu can witness the carnage for yourself in the "status of Normals" thread, long since derailed).

Since you can only have 1 human sized object in a hex unless the circumstances are unusual (They are in bunk beds in their quarters? They are being inappropriately physical given this is an active combat zone? ;) Errr' date=' etc), I'll assume that what you meant was 2 Viper agents, each in their own hex.[/quote']

For clarity, I did indeed mean a veritable army of VIPER agents, shoulder to shoulder, two to a hex.

A hex is TWO METERS wide (a shade over 6 feet). A circle of that radius would be over 28 square feet in area, a bit more than a 5' by 5' square (the Other System's current default space). We assume it holds one person because the game tells us it holds one person.

Try measuring it out. This is a pretty big aea, and could certainly hold two riflemen or spearmen standing abreast. Two spinning-kick martial artists? Probably not. The span between the tips of your fingertips with arms outstretched is equal to your height. A hex is therefore big enough to stand with your arms outstretched and spin around. It's not tough to picture two people to a hex knowing that. It's essential for, say, a wall of spearment, or a Roman shield phalanx.

It is, however, about as wide as a small car interioir, which can hold two people seated comfortably (in one row of seats), three in a pinch.

The point? I think we make areas in our games way too large because we assume people fill a lot more space than they really do.

Re: The Size of a Hex

The point? I think we make areas in our games way too large because we assume people fill a lot more space than they really do.

When I first started gaming, I shared a 10' x 10' room with my brother.

It had two single beds, one on the east wall and one on the west wall with two dressers on south wall and a desk on the north wall between the heads of the bed. The was an open area in the middle for moving around.

We used it as an example of the size and what you could get in a 10' x 10' room when we played D&D.

It became a 1.5 x 1.5 hex room when we switched to Champions/Hero System.

I have always kept that room in mind when I map an area for combat.

Two characters engaged in grappling or tight h-t-h combat could definitely fit in a hex.

Two characters in a tight combat formation could also occupy the same hex.

Another example is the typical boxing ring the inside of the rope area is 20' x 20' or 6m x 6m or in Champions terms a AE with a 2 hex radius. There is a lot of space to move around in in a boxing ring and they can sure pack a lot of folks in that space when there is a wrestling battle royal. :)

You're right. I think the 2 person/hex thing is avoided because of aesthetics; on a 25mm hex map, just looks too cluttered.

Realistically, most indoor maps would look very cramped.

The exaggerated scale works for Champions and is perfect for big-budget, sprawling combat scenes like the Batman movies.

In Champions, most places are bigger than they should be and this is easier to rationalize in a fictitious setting (like Millennium City)where real-world benchmarks don't necessarily apply.

This spins out of a discussion on an area effect gas NND attack and how much damage it can do (yu can witness the carnage for yourself in the "status of Normals" thread, long since derailed).

For clarity, I did indeed mean a veritable army of VIPER agents, shoulder to shoulder, two to a hex.

A hex is TWO METERS wide (a shade over 6 feet). A circle of that radius would be over 28 square feet in area, a bit more than a 5' by 5' square (the Other System's current default space). We assume it holds one person because the game tells us it holds one person.

You are correct. At least in the old (Champions) rule book, it specifically gives an example where there are two characters in a hex.

Ah here it is.

Starburst now wants to try to hit several agents with one shot. The agents, not being extraordinarily clever, have conveniently lined up shoulder to shoulder, six agents in in three adjacent hexes. Starburst spreads his attack by 3D6, thus filling up all three hexes. Starburst must now roll his Attack Roll against each agent. Each agent he hits will take 7D6 damage. Starburst pays the full 5 END for his Energy Blast.

p. 71, if you have the 1984 rulebook. ;)

That example was also used in the BBB page 151. :)

The hex thing as always frustrated me for indoor settings. There are times when I need to have a few supers fight in a trailer or a small apartment. Are there penelties for fighting in cramped quarters other than for weapon length? After watching Kill Bill 2 I think there would be.

• 2 months later...