Hunted Q, or can this Opposites work?

Guyon

One of out group made a villain as a Hunted, that is his equal almost exactly. Not uncommon, but here is the catch.

He wants his powers and this Hunted powers to not work on each other, (with out any point spending). A novel idea that they can't effect each other, but my concern is that he villain my wreck more havoc on the rest of the hero group since he can not effect the PC.

So should I let this go? Of would the threat of him harming another member be good enough for the trade off?

Re: Hunted Q, or can this Opposites work?

Do they share a common creation background or power source?

If so you can just say they both have a 0 point adjustment to their powers of Doesn't work versus X. X could be the other character, or the specific source. Doesn't work against other people powered by Quantem Nullifier, Light of Arnor, etc.

I think it's a good concept, and one that has been used before. I wish I could remember the hero/villain opposites where this was the case, but Cyclops' and Havok's powers don't work on each other, either.

I agree that this really isn't worth any points, unless the hero is hunting the villain full time, or the villain is hunting the hero full time. It's not going to come up enough to make it worth any points.

In regards to fairness against the other PCs, why is this an issue? The villain is near useless against the hero in question and vice versa. It's not like it's Dr. D, right? So no worries. It's just a campaign plot, nothing more.

So should I let this go? Of would the threat of him harming another member be good enough for the trade off?

I'd allow it, but I'd require personal immunity for the character's powers if we're talking about Cyclops/Havok type of thing. I.e. the origin of the powers are so closely related that the personal immunity carries over.

I can see other possible reasons behind the concept, and those may wave the personal immunity advantage. Here I'd list it as a Physical Limit Disadvantage on the character sheet.

Tae Kwon Dan Wrote: what kind of powers do the guys have that they are immune to?

None. BTW what belt are you?

Celtic Cowboy Wrote: Do they share a common creation background or power source?

Yes the hunted was build from the DNA of the PC but it was corruped. So that is whay he wants the Hunted's power not to work on each other.

Thanks for all the discussion. This villain will not come up a lot but I wanted a sounding board before I let it go. And trust your opinion.

In regards to fairness against the other PCs' date=' why is this an issue? The villain is near useless against the hero in question and vice versa. It's not like it's Dr. D, right? So no worries. It's just a campaign plot, nothing more.[/quote']

"Hunted, AsPow, 8-, Capture/Kill, Hunter greater threat to other PC's, X pts"

I wouldn't want to be on Mr. Bulletproof's team when he's Hunted by the .50 Caliber Legion. ;)

It can work, but I'd make the Hunted value lower since the Hunter is more effective vs. others than the PC being hunted.

"Hunted, AsPow, 8-, Capture/Kill, Hunter greater threat to other PC's, X pts"

I wouldn't want to be on Mr. Bulletproof's team when he's Hunted by the .50 Caliber Legion. ;)

It can work, but I'd make the Hunted value lower since the Hunter is more effective vs. others than the PC being hunted.

I respectfully disagree. Almost by definition some villains are going to be more of a threat to other heroes.

Let's say Mental Man is hunted by Psycho Killer. Their mental abilities put them on equal footing, and they could duke it out mentally for hours or days with no upper hand being achieved. However, Brickman Bob has no mental defenses whatsoever. If he could ever lay a pinkie on Psycho Killer he'd squash the malicious mental malcontent in a milisecond, but PK always seems to mind control him, ego blast him, or leave him looped up in mental illusions.

No points are added or subtracted from Mental Man's Hunted disad simply because one of his teammates is particularly vulnerable to Psycho Killer.

The same theory applies here, I'm thinking. It's a plot device. At most it should be a custom disad or something: "Powers do not affect Hero X" for 5 pts or something. In the overall scheme of things the two supers cancelling each other out will have (or should have) little effect on the campaign. It's a PC plot device.

Anyway, them's my twin coppers on the matter.

Guest WhammeWhamme

If their powers don't work on each other it's 'as powerful'... except for one small thing.

What happens when the Hunter gets smart and buys/steals some kind of weapon?

Well, taking down the character's friends is certainly one way to strike at him, though indirectly (hmm...what level of Indirect would you call that? ;) ). I wouldn't do this too much, though, because the other players might become just a tad peeved if one of their buddies takes a Disadvantage that affects the rest of them more than it affects him.

Yes the hunted was build from the DNA of the PC but it was corruped. So that is whay he wants the Hunted's power not to work on each other.

To me, this screams personal immunity. After all, why would Our Hero be immune to his corrupted clone's powers, but not his own?

I'd say he's "as powerful". And nothing prevents the Hunter from joining a team of his own. Maybe a team of the other PC's Hunteds...

Tae Kwon Dan Said: retired at 1st Brown

Nicely Done!!!! I am not quicte 50 and for my 2nd degree test next month I have jump, do a 10 degree turn in the air and brake a 1-1/2" board with a side kick near chest height.

What happens when the Hunter gets smart and buys/steals some kind of weapon?.

Cool idea!

prestidigitator Well, taking down the character's friends is certainly one way to strike at him,

Which had me worried, would that be more of a curse for him or the others. But then we could capture a teammate for bate?

Hugh Neilson

That is how I felt all a long, but this guys don;t play like that. And with some of the comments from this group I think I can handle the match up. So if he gets a team mate the Hero will have a lot of problems getting him back because he can't use his powers on the hunted!

That is how I felt all a long' date=' but this guys don;t play like that. And with some of the comments from this group I think I can handle the match up. So if he gets a team mate the Hero will have a lot of problems getting him back because he can't use his powers on the hunted![/quote']

Actually, this would be a classic for a quid pro quo. This Hunted cuts a deal with a teammate's Hunted. Clone kidnaps the other PCto use as bait. That PC's Hunted ambushes the first PC. This would be ideal if the teammate is a relatively easy target for Clone, and the first PC is relatively easy for the other Hunted. Only if they can get loose and switch partners do they stand a real chance of victory.

Hmmm...what if all the "bait" tactics are covering something else. What if our Clone is really obtaining DNA samples and is ultimately able to arrange fior a warped clone version of the enitire superteam?