Combo Attacks

greymankle

How in Hero do you build "Tag-team" attacks? i.e. Colossus throwing Wolverine.

Does Wolverine buy "extra movement with a -1 lim Only when thrown but Col"

Then Colossus buys an RKA with the OAF focus of Wolverine

I know you don't need a power to pick someone up and throw them. But this seems different. It's a team effort to create a new attack.

I'm trying to create an NPC team that works well together. I want these buddy attacks to show their training, and team skills.

Every video game I can think that has 2 or more players playing at the same time has these. Guantlet, TMNT, X-men I'm sure their are others.

Any thoughts?

Re: Combo Attacks

The specific maneuver you're describing, the classic Colossus/Wolverine "Fastball Special," is described in detail in the Champions genre book. I don't want to breach Hero Games's IP by describing too much of it here, but basically a brick character throws another character as per the standard Throwing Table. If the brick makes his Attack Roll to hit the target, the "fastball" is then in position to execute the maneuver he desires, but must make his own Attack Roll.

The fastball can attack as if using a normal Move By, Move Through or Grab By, except that his velocity is determined by how far the brick can throw him .

Generally speaking the Teamwork Skill allows characters to coordinate attacks on a single target, but other times teamwork can just be manifested by using the Powers and SFX of characters' abilities creatively in combination. One of my favorite examples from the old Champs adventure To Serve And Protect was a team maneuver called "Witch's Cauldron." One character with Tunneling would use it to open a pit beneath a target, causing him to fall in. Another character would throw a hefty Uncontrolled Continuous RKA onto the target at the bottom of the pit. Then a third character would use Entangle to cap the pit, sealing the victim inside.

but basically a brick character throws another character as per the standard Throwing Table. If the brick makes his Attack Roll to hit the target' date=' the "fastball" is then in position to execute the maneuver he desires, but must make his own Attack Roll.[/quote']

This was a change from the good old days when the brick only had to hit the target's hex. Now it seems it has to hit the target itself.

Given the -4 for tossing your normal character and any range modifier it's basically only possible for bricks that brought the skill up significantly. You'd need 6 CSL levels just to have a break even chance with you're normal OCV level (more when you consider that you're likeing losing the use of your HtH Levels bricks tend to buy). So unless you have the skill, you best be toss your friend at the board side of barn.

Sigh.

Reminds me, I need to add the change back to hex target to my house rules page...

Back to the original question: Additional "combo" moves that actually up the damage potential can be brought using the concept of Arrays from Ultimate Martial Arts on page 119. Just buy the Aid to whatever damage power you want for the combo instead of DEX and change up the limits (add requires teamwork roll, etc.). Toss an END batt on it with a low recover to represent the recharge rate for combos common on the console game.

It would result in a very video game like feel, which seems to be what you're going for.

If you like I can do an example.

This was a change from the good old days when the brick only had to hit the target's hex. Now it seems it has to hit the target itself.

Hmm... I can't recall ever seeing an "official" description of a Fastball Special in any previously published Champions book, but my memory may be failing me. Could you tell me where you found it?

Hmm... I can't recall ever seeing an "official" description of a Fastball Special in any previously published Champions book' date=' but my memory may be failing me. Could you tell me where you found it?[/quote']

Champions II or Champions III as I recall. Not at my books and I'd have to dig through the 'archives' on top of it.

Also somewhere in there is the old version Shockwave, they let anyone do it as side-effect of their STR.

Things do change.

Champions II or Champions III as I recall. Not at my books and I'd have to dig through the 'archives' on top of it.

Also somewhere in there is the old version Shockwave, they let anyone do it as side-effect of their STR.

Things do change.

Found the Fastball Special in Champions II, p. 11. Good memory, Fox1! That never made it into Fourth Edition, and I'd completely forgotten about it. I'll have to think about whether I would want to go with the throw hitting the hex or the character, though; that would be the difference between this being a specialized maneuver that teammates would work out between them, or something that any superstrong character might try.

I used to like the free Shockwave rules (from Champions III p. 54 BTW) because they so perfectly fit the comic-book conventions for their use; but I can see why they were eliminated. Bricks already had a big advantage in what they could do with high STR vs. other types of characters. OTOH now that 5E has limited the bonus for a Haymaker, and allows characters to Haymaker attacks other than STR-based, I've considered reinstating the old Shockwaves for anyone to use as a free maneuver.

Found the Fastball Special in Champions II' date=' p. 11. Good memory, Fox1! That never made it into Fourth Edition, and I'd completely forgotten about it. [/quote']

Thanks.

Where you're running the X-Men, the fastball special rules is something you're not likely to forget.

I'll have to think about whether I would want to go with the throw hitting the hex or the character, though; that would be the difference between this being a specialized maneuver that teammates would work out between them, or something that any superstrong character might try.

Make the hex version a weapon familarity for the throwee. Anyone strong enough can toss, but it would take someone who knew what he was doing to make in flight adjustments and time the actual assault.

I've considered reinstating the old Shockwaves for anyone to use as a free maneuver.

It's a interesting question. After all, has there been any brick in their own comic who hasn't used the shockwave at one time or another. Always seems to be that the damage side effect kept it in control.

Even so, for right now I'm charging for it despite my dislike of all the "cute brick' tricks as a general rule.

The way things are going, in 6th edition I'm expecting to have to pay for Cap's cereal bowl (Entangle, Def 2, body 1- only effective from sides/bottom (-1), etc.) that holds his morning wheaties.