Reduced Gravity Effects

Supreme

I'm working on a character who has the technological ability to reduce the effects of gravity on him allowing him to fly with the use of artificial wings. So, I worked up the following concepts, some of which I can work out in game terms easily enough, but others I'd appreciate some help with.

• Flight, restrainable (duh)
  • Superleap (without the wings he should be able to do this)
  • If his wings were disabled, he should be able to prevent a catastrophic fall by making himself weightless for a short period (he'd be running the anti-grav engine in the red until it conked out). If he were already falling, though, that would prevent him from continuing to fall, but it would prevent him from accelerating. How do you do that?
  • Anything else?

For disads I could take some vulnerability to knockback, or even negative knockback resistance, but I'd rather just accept the one die knockback resistance that all flyers have.

Re: Reduced Gravity Effects

CLINGING--if he can reduce the effect of gravity on himself, his hand strength should be more than sufficient to let him support himself by grabbing any but the slickest surfaces.

But if all he can do is reduce gravity on himself, FLIGHT, SUPERLEAP and CLINGING pretty much cover the concept.

If he could change the _orientation_ of gravity's pull, he could do other things. "Fly" like a skydiver...in any direction. Walk or run on walls or ceilings.

Rhanks, Sinanju, I like the Clinging idea. The reverse-grav effect is out though. The idea is supposed to come from the reduction of mass using superconductors and nagbetic fields. Yeah, this isn't confirmed yet, but we're talking about supers here, so...

[*]If his wings were disabled' date=' he should be able to prevent a catastrophic fall by making himself weightless for a short period (he'd be running the anti-grav engine in the red until it conked out). If he were already falling, though, that would prevent him from continuing to fall, but it would prevent him from accelerating. How do you do that?[/quote']

Some kind of very limited Flight, maybe? Only Straight Up, Only to Cancel Falling Velocity? Or you could assume that, even disabled, at zero-g the wings provide enough drag to justify some limited Gliding.

Astronauts tend to lose calcium in their bones after a long-time in a low-grav environ. Maybe you can work an attack or disad around that ?

They lose bone and muscle mass after being in micro-gravity for weeks at a time, if they don't exercise. This guy will be flying around in 1/6 G for a couple of hours a night fighting crime, so I don't think this will be necessary. Also, I don't want a character who gets weaker the more he uses his powers.

• If his wings were disabled, he should be able to prevent a catastrophic fall by making himself weightless for a short period (he'd be running the anti-grav engine in the red until it conked out). If he were already falling, though, that would prevent him from continuing to fall, but it would prevent him from accelerating. How do you do that?

Gliding?

Gliding or a small teleport with the no relative velocity adder ( I think...), ie teleport to the spot you occupy which cancels accumulated momentum and and a lim that acts to the effect that momentum accumulated before the 'port isn't removed.

I would think he'd have a limited super strength, only for lifting objects that can be mostly fit within his contra grav field.

This is more super than science but he(?) might bend light light around him to create a invisibility effect if the power isn't limited to Grav suppression.

Interesing question...

I would probably do something like:

20 Flight 10", Trigger (Activating the Trigger is an Action that takes no time, Trigger resets automatically, immediately after it activates; When Falling; +1) (40 Active Points); Levitation (-1/2), Only to Hover, or Slow Descent (Cannot Gain Altitude) (-1/2) 4

I would probably add some sort of burnout to this, and/or extra END to show you are straining the anti-grav engine. Also, 5" might be enough, though this may not be enough to counteract gravity, just keep him from accelerating. At 10", he could slow by 5"/phase, I believe (or at least how I would probably rule it).

The trigger would be the failsafe on the anti-grav engine. Now, this all assumes that he is pulling from an END reserve, or continuing/fuel charges, so if this comes from his personal END, you should probably by the flight as 0END. NCC (-1) would be good if he cannot activate it on purpose.