How would you do this?

Kitsune

I'm working on a character named Scorpia (I'm sure the name is taken somewhere but I'm using it anyway) she a supersoldier/cybog. Her main cybornetic attachment is a "scorpian tail" on the back of her neck that is hiden inside a long braid... The end of the braid has a USB port that allows her to log into computers and use some preprogrammed hacking tools.... The way I was thinking of doing the skills was to have a skill with the liitation that it can only be used once for any given task.... if it fails then she would have to get the real hacker to update the programs before she could try again. She also could only hack Computers with USB ports. Any suggestions on how many points these limitations should be worth?

I'm also wondering how scorpion poisen might work in game terms.

Re: How would you do this?

The port is probably nothing more than: +4 Computer Programming' date=' IIF tail, Only if have USB port:-1/4. [/quote']

Another way of handling it might be to make the tail's hacking power cyberkinesis

33 Cyberkinesis MP (IIF (Tail), required USB port, -1/4)

3) 10d6 Telepathy (Machine Class of Mind)

3) 10d6 Mind Control (Machine Class of Mind)

Could work?

Another way of handling it might be to make the tail's hacking power cyberkinesis

33 Cyberkinesis MP (IIF (Tail), required USB port, -1/4)

3) 10d6 Telepathy (Machine Class of Mind)

3) 10d6 Mind Control (Machine Class of Mind)

Could work?

Way too powerful. She's not a hacker, she a cyborg with a hacker toolkit built in... I'm mainly interested in how many point people thing "one attempt is work" is worth.

I would as a GM give -1/2 no the "No Repeat Attemts" limitation and -1/4 for the USB port required. This would give a -3/4 limitation value.

So I would reccemend buying the power like this.

6: +5 Computer Programming; No Repeat Attemts -1/2, Requires USB -1/4, 10 Active Points.

Way too powerful. She's not a hacker' date=' she a cyborg with a hacker toolkit built in... I'm mainly interested in how many point people thing "one attempt is work" is worth.[/quote']

For hacking? I'd say it probably depends on what the likely consequences of failing are. How often would you not be able to try again anyway because you are caught, automatic safety systems kick in, etc.? In large part this will depend on the campaign setting and story. As I am currently picturing it, hacking does seem to be something that can generally be attempted quite repetatively, so maybe I'd go with a -1. It would be best to discuss this with your GM (or think a bit about likely stories and obstructions if you are GM).

Way too powerful. She's not a hacker' date=' she a cyborg with a hacker toolkit built in... I'm mainly interested in how many point people thing "one attempt is work" is worth.[/quote']

It sounds like the same thing as the "Burnout" or "Jammed" options (RFREd p. 283) to the Activation Roll Limitation. I don't know how you're GM would price it, but those provide mechanics for powers (or skills) that may only work once or stop working if they fail...

It sounds like the same thing as the "Burnout" or "Jammed" options (RFREd p. 283) to the Activation Roll Limitation. I don't know how you're GM would price it' date=' but those provide mechanics for powers (or skills) that may only work once or stop working if they fail...[/quote']

The thing is, it sounds like the Skills cannot be re-attempted a second time for any given task. It would be like saying that if an attack with a Burnout Power misses the Activation Roll you can't use it against the same target, but you can then attack a different opponent with it. There really isn't an equivalent Limitation currently (although some Powers, like Find Weakness, might have a similar kind of built-in restriction).

The thing is' date=' it sounds like the Skills cannot be re-attempted a second time [i']for any given task[/i]. It would be like saying that if an attack with a Burnout Power misses the Activation Roll you can't use it against the same target, but you can then attack a different opponent with it. There really isn't an equivalent Limitation currently (although some Powers, like Find Weakness, might have a similar kind of built-in restriction).

Mixing skills and Power Modifiers is always tricky. In general, as for what "unjams" or restores the burned out power or skill, that's up to the GM based on special effect. In specific, for this case, the player and the GM can look at the Burnout and Jammed mechanics to see if they properly simulate what the character is looking for. If they don't like it that particular mechanic, no problem...

Have you considered using charges to show the limited usage?

You could then have the restriction of "Must be reloaded by Hacker " to have the charges replaced.

That should gve you a viable cost. I don't have my 5ER at work or I would have tried to be more thorough.

Shem

How about a Recoverable Charge in which the recovery is being defined as "trying a new task"? And whenever they go home and get a cybercheck-up, wipe the slate clean on what tasks they've done before, just as good role-playing. Works for me.

Poison/weapon's easy enough, and already has good explanations.

How about a Recoverable Charge in which the recovery is being defined as "trying a new task"? And whenever they go home and get a cybercheck-up' date=' wipe the slate clean on what tasks they've done before, just as good role-playing. Works for me.[/quote']

Sounds good to me.

I think I would make the "tail" restrainable rather than a focus.