Star Trek: The Talosians

Badger

Yeah, trying to do The Talosians from the The Cage (pilot with Pike) and The Menagerie 2-parter of the original Star Trek series.

I was looking through my old stuff of comics and such stuff this weekend. Anyway, I found one of the books I had gotten that kind of gave plot summaries of each episode of the original series. I was thinking of doing some write ups for some people/races here and there.

Not too difficult for the most part. Most physical characteristics (STR, DEX, CON) would be low because they were frail mental creatures.

I was wondering though how powerful should their illusions be. I know basically it should definitely megascale but how much should they be given?

In the pilot "The Cage" they affected the crew in orbit, and in "The Menagerie" it was lightyears away. SHould I scale back to keep within at least a solar system to keep it from being too powerful?

Also at the end of The Cage, they seemed to decide to let the humans go. And resign themselves to extinction. What would be a good plot device to get them back in the action of the galaxy if I were to use them in a scenario.

Re: Star Trek: The Talosians

Plot Idea: The Talosians never actually stopped fooling with humans.

There are no Organians. There are no Metrons. The Squire of Gothos never existed. The Q don't exist. The giant space amoeba? Never existed either. It's all an illusion.

The Talosians are bored, bored, bored. They have phenomenal cosmic power (megascale telepathy and illusion powers with seemingly limitless range--they can reach earth!) and itty-bitty imaginations. What better fun than creating fantastical threats for the humans they're toying with to try to overcome?

Eventually, though, the humans figure this out...

Alternative Plot Idea: Just because the Organians aren't fooling with the minds of other species doesn't mean they aren't still listening. It's better than TV! Maybe they've discovered some plot by bad guys so heinous, so dangerous to EVERYONE, that they feel obliged to let Our Heroes know about it (they can't act directly because They Don't Do That Sort Of Thing Anymore).

Try looking at my Trek Hero pdfs - one of them has writeups for Talosians. (YMMV, of course).

Since Talos is still quarantined, Talos would have to contact the Feds rather than the other way around, and the only fly in the ointment I can think of would be a Lazarus or Mirror Universe Talosian with something to say.

• 2 weeks later...

...What would be a good plot device to get them back in the action of the galaxy if I were to use them in a scenario.

They become assimilated by the Borg giving the collective a group of drones who can project unshakable mental illusions into the minds of others from light years away. Not even Vulcans can block them out (according to events from the two episodes).

Try looking at my Trek Hero pdfs - one of them has writeups for Talosians. (YMMV, of course).

Since Talos is still quarantined, Talos would have to contact the Feds rather than the other way around, and the only fly in the ointment I can think of would be a Lazarus or Mirror Universe Talosian with something to say.

Awesome job on the Trek pdfs! :thumbup:

That stuff is a great resource!