Buying a RKA attack to use at No Range ?

Why would anybody buy a Ranged Killing Attack and then put the limitation of No Range on it when you can by a HtH killing attack instead, which is what you are really buying, isn't it?

Or am I missing something.

I ask because I see many powers that have this set up, but I also notice that many of them are linked to a different power, like the Laser Sword in Star HERO that represents a lightsaber.

I am just confused. :confused:

RKA: 15 points per die.

No Range (-1/2) makes that 10 points per die.

If you use an HKA: 15 points per die.

You'd have to use "Str doesn't Add" (-1/2) to make things cost the same and be the same.

So, we have RKA, no Range, and HKA, Str doesn't add, both for 10 points per die. (barring any other modifiers).

So, since they cost the same, you have to look at which one better represents the SFX of the situation.

For a lot of SFX, Steve feels that RKA, no range fits better (it's the energy of the blade that does damage, not the person swinging it in the light sabre example. Rest the light sabre on the table, it'll still cut. Do that with your sword, and, well, you'll have a sword lying on the table.)

HKA implies, to me at least, that you're using your STR with the item, like Wolverine's Claws or Black Knight's Sword. So, I like Steve's way. ;)

If the STR doesn't matter, where the damage stays the same no matter who's using it, then it doesn't matter which method you use, because it costs the same.

If STR does matter, then go with the HKA, and forget the Str doesn't add, and rock and roll.

D

Originally posted by Shadowpup

But if you go with HKA STR doesn't add, you can still use it with Martial Arts and get +DC :)

Can RKA No Range get Missile Deflected?

Truth. But, there isn't any reason why you couldn't apply DCs to your "light sabre combat style". Sure, it's Ranged levels. Just make a separate style for "light sabre combat" from your "knife fighting"

And then you might be able to add WE: Blaster, and get the extra DCs with that too.

D

No Range Attacks

RKA with no range;

Poison? The poison does damage that is not affected by STR

(Perhaps a poison bite or weapon?)

Life Draining? You touch it, it ides! Not affected by STR

Cause Disease? Requires touch, but not affected by STR

Just to name a few possible special effects.