Xenomorphs from aliens

My friend is trying to make the Xenomorphs from aliens' acid blood power.

I'm thinking the right way to go is an unconrolled HKA with cummulative and trigger: takes body that would cause it to bleed, plus some other wierd stuff, like an Endurance Reserve just for the blood and a bunch of lvls of penetrating (so it will eventually eat through hulls) and a non selective radus, and probably some other stuff.

Any comments or ideas? i'm sure she'd appreciate it

Re: Xenomorphs from aliens

This is pretty close to how I did it. Other possible considerations would be using continuing charges for the blood, possibly with a side effects tied to running out of "Charges"... I had my Xenomorphs strat dying if they "bled out". tying the sizze of the AOE to the amount of body inflicted is entirely approprate as well.. I think I did it as an AOE hexes then added a limited power (-1/2) that it splashed one hex per 3 body inflicted, with a -0 modifier that the pattern was semi random based on impact direction.

You also might want to add Sticky to part or all of the attack

hey, in case ayone was curious, it's my game he's asking for. This is the best I've come up with so far...it's so messy....

36 Acidic Blood spray: HKA 1d6, piercing X4 +2, Continuous (+1), Damage Shield (+1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1), Persistent (+1/2), inherent +1/4, Uncontrolled (see below; +1/2), Autofire (10 shots; +2), area of affect 1†+ 35†cone (splatter) +1, cumulative X18 + 2.75, Sticky, only when actually touching blood not the character affected +1/4 ;Always On (-1/2), Only For Dramatically appropriate moments (i.e Works Against objects or people Which Cause body Damage Or On Which Character's Blood Is Spilled, is not triggered by attacks that don’t cause character to bleed, triggered more by attacks that cause character to bleed more) (-1/2), No Conscious Control (number shots depends on body damage taken; -1), strength does not add to damage -1/2, neutralized by strong bases/does not affect basic things -1/4, limited range, only 3†cone -1/2, does not cause bleeding -1/2, does not effect xenomorphs or xenomorph exoskeleton material -1/2, -0 direction of cone based on damage trajectory [191 AP]

Basically what I want is a conical cumulative acid spray caused by taking body damage. The more you shoot or cut it the more spray is activated. The direction of the spray is special effect. It's also supposed to be cumulative to simulate that it has to burn through armour rather than just bypass it. I dunno, this is only the 4th character I've made using herosystem and it's for NPCs for the same I'm running in the fall. Any ideas to help would be good. Otherwise I'm going to use this.

Thnx for the help!

hey, in case ayone was curious, it's my game he's asking for. This is the best I've come up with so far...it's so messy....

36 Acidic Blood spray: HKA 1d6, piercing X4 +2, Continuous (+1), Damage Shield (+1/2), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1), Persistent (+1/2), inherent +1/4, Uncontrolled (see below; +1/2), Autofire (10 shots; +2), area of affect 1†+ 35†cone (splatter) +1, cumulative X18 + 2.75, Sticky, only when actually touching blood not the character affected +1/4 ;Always On (-1/2), Only For Dramatically appropriate moments (i.e Works Against objects or people Which Cause body Damage Or On Which Character's Blood Is Spilled, is not triggered by attacks that don’t cause character to bleed, triggered more by attacks that cause character to bleed more) (-1/2), No Conscious Control (number shots depends on body damage taken; -1), strength does not add to damage -1/2, neutralized by strong bases/does not affect basic things -1/4, limited range, only 3†cone -1/2, does not cause bleeding -1/2, does not effect xenomorphs or xenomorph exoskeleton material -1/2, -0 direction of cone based on damage trajectory [191 AP]

Basically what I want is a conical cumulative acid spray caused by taking body damage. The more you shoot or cut it the more spray is activated. The direction of the spray is special effect. It's also supposed to be cumulative to simulate that it has to burn through armour rather than just bypass it. I dunno, this is only the 4th character I've made using herosystem and it's for NPCs for the same I'm running in the fall. Any ideas to help would be good. Otherwise I'm going to use this.

Thnx for the help!

Hmm. Well, just as a bit of general feedback, I'd say you are probably overthinking things. Trying to mimic every tiny little detail of the things you think something with your SFX might do tends to make things very messy. I am more and more going to the approach of building things roughly and taking care of the rest as creative storytelling in-game. It makes things so much simpler and less of a headache (it usually winds up being a lot less expensive, too, getting rid of all those costs for things that should probably have little game effect).

For example, even if acid continues to burn and do some damage after an initial hit does not necessarily mean you have to make it Continuous or give it Gradual Effect. You can do quite a bit of it with just description and minor tweaks to effects along the way. Perhaps the target takes all the Stun up-front due to the suddenness of the pain, but the Body may not really accumulate all at once. Perhaps it does, and it's the pain that continues to bother the character. Perhaps the, "Stickiness," is merely an environmental effect due to the SFX, and it should not be considered part of the attack (just don't be stupid enough to go sticking your hand in it). These aren't meant to be comments about this specific case; they are just examples of how you can simplify constructs in general.

thnx, honestly I' not sure why I'm even bother to build any of my NPCs at all. Since, as you said, most of the things can be covered by rolepalying. Other than stats and a rough damage I can just make it work the way I want.

Since the world is heavy roleplaying (it's a choose your own, no party kind of deal) that should work out ok. I agree with the stickiness, I just threw it in cause earlier I was on aim with roy (who's in the current game I play and will be in this one) and he suggested it and it made sense.

I do want to keep it cumulative/gradual though. Because it gives the characters the chance to neutralize it before the damage gets too bad. Also, taking off the armour before the acid eats through so it doesn't hurt you is an effect I like.

Here's a quick question though. What would you think about a table for what the blood hits within the cone, since it might not hit everything (ie. not really a form fittin projectile) it might hit your gun but not you. ...based on maybe the hit location table? with a couple extras

thnx, honestly I' not sure why I'm even bother to build any of my NPCs at all. Since, as you said, most of the things can be covered by rolepalying. Other than stats and a rough damage I can just make it work the way I want.

Since the world is heavy roleplaying (it's a choose your own, no party kind of deal) that should work out ok. I agree with the stickiness, I just threw it in cause earlier I was on aim with roy (who's in the current game I play and will be in this one) and he suggested it and it made sense.

Cool. Build as much or as little as you feel is necessary. Some work does save your head, though. :)

I do want to keep it cumulative/gradual though. Because it gives the characters the chance to neutralize it before the damage gets too bad. Also, taking off the armour before the acid eats through so it doesn't hurt you is an effect I like.

Good. Keep those things you really feel are important to the working of the Power. For the rest: wing it.

Here's a quick question though. What would you think about a table for what the blood hits within the cone, since it might not hit everything (ie. not really a form fittin projectile) it might hit your gun but not you. ...based on maybe the hit location table? with a couple extras

This is one of those where I'd probably simplify things a lot. How much rolling do you really want to do? I suggest making a simple Damage Shield that will hit the attacker, or making a simple Area of Effect attack that hits everything. At the most, make it a Non-Selective Area of Effect (or apply an Activation Roll and decide it applies per-target rather than for the whole activation of the Power--pretty much the same thing in my book, except that one is a flat roll while the other uses the owner's OCV). Once you do that, roll for each character and each piece of equipment you feel is appropriate or just decide in a dramatic fashion that a hit/miss affects equipment.

You are free to do it any way you want, but that's the approach I would take, instead of trying to apply custom Advantages, Limitations, or Hit Location Tables. How much work is this one Power worth in your campaign? That's a question only you can answer.

heh, I was just going to roll to see if it hits, then the normal hit location for where. If it hit's an area where you have an item then I'll just wing if it hits the item or you (based on size plot device etc), It it doesn't hit you then it hit's something else floor, wall, whatever.

I think that'll make the power good enough for now. Thanks for all your help!

heh, I was just going to roll to see if it hits, then the normal hit location for where. If it hit's an area where you have an item then I'll just wing if it hits the item or you (based on size plot device etc), It it doesn't hit you then it hit's something else floor, wall, whatever.

I think that'll make the power good enough for now. Thanks for all your help!

No problem. Sounds good. Oh, and above all, have fun with it! :)