Force Wall that reflects attacks

Foxx!

Re: Force Wall that reflects attacks

Why not just Missile Reflection' date=' Usable At Range, Linked to Force Wall?[/quote']

Chris Goodwin!

That sounds perfect, but I’m a bit unsure of how to compose and use the power.

I want to be able to leave the wall unattended, so the powers need Persistent or Uncontrolled. Which? I think the Wall uses Persistent because it's a defence power but MDR uses Uncontrolled because it has an attack roll. Is that right?

The character doesn’t consciously use MDR. It works automatically. Does the MDR still use the character’s CV for Reflecting attacks even when not there?

The wall should be able to reflect any number of attacks in a single segment. If the MDR fails, but the attack doesn’t break the wall, is it fair to say that the SFX is that the attack still Deflects but doesn’t hit anyone?

Cheers!

I want to be able to leave the wall unattended, so the powers need Persistent or Uncontrolled. Which? I think the Wall uses Persistent because it's a defence power but MDR uses Uncontrolled because it has an attack roll. Is that right?

I'm not quite sure what you're asking here. To maintain a Force Wall, all you do is spend END. Let me ask you this: does the character spend END to maintain the wall? If the answer is no, then you're probably looking for Entangle rather than Force Wall.

You would probably build MDR with Uncontrolled because of the way you describe it later.

The character doesn’t consciously use MDR. It works automatically. Does the MDR still use the character’s CV for Reflecting attacks even when not there?

I believe you can make a Missile Deflection/Reflection Uncontrolled, though I can't recall. Might be an entry in the FAQ about it.

The wall should be able to reflect any number of attacks in a single segment. If the MDR fails, but the attack doesn’t break the wall, is it fair to say that the SFX is that the attack still Deflects but doesn’t hit anyone?

Edit: Removed statement about uncontrolled that was here.

Technically, if the MDR fails but the attack doesn't break the wall, then it's stopped by the wall. In other words, it's the same as if a character failed to deflect an attack but it was still stopped by his defenses.

That sounds perfect, but I’m a bit unsure of how to compose and use the power.

For the Force Wall (or Entangle) build it as normal. For the Missile Deflection/Reflection, build it Ranged, Indirect, Uncontrolled, and Linked to Force Wall (or Entangle). Possibly Persistent and 0 END, but check with your GM before applying these two with Uncontrolled to one Power (if you're the GM then you don't need my permission or anyone else's).

Technically' date=' if the MDR fails but the attack doesn't break the wall, then it's stopped by the wall. In other words, it's the same as if a character failed to deflect an attack but it was still stopped by his defenses.[/quote']

I would say that if you bought Missile Reflection but not Missile Deflection, as I said above, then you would simply apply the Missile Reflection if the attack doesn't manage to break through the Force Wall (you might still do a Missile Deflection roll like an Activation Roll to see if you can do the Reflection attack and if further Reflections can be done). If it does break through, the Missile Reflection doesn't apply. If you want the added protection of Missile Deflection which will keep attacks from breaking the wall even if they would be big enough to do so I would say buy both Missile Deflection and Missile Reflection.

Also, I would simply buy Persistant for the MDR if you buy Persistant for the FW, and Uncontrolled for the MDR if you buy Uncontrolled for the FW. I'd say use your own OCV, as it is your Power. Alternately you could do it like a RSR and start with an OCV of zero, from which you must apply CSLs or something to buy it up. Up to the GM. Note that you normally cannot apply Missile Reflection at range, but I would allow it for your FW just like Damage Shield can apply to a FW.

MDR doesn't cost End, right? I seem to recall that, but don't have my book with me. Here is an example of the first:

Force Wall: 10 rPD/10 rED;

Reduced End Cost: 0 End (+1/2);

Persistant (+1/2);

+Missile Reflection: Ranged (requires Missle Deflection roll as Activation);

Persistant (+1/2);

Linked (-1/4);

Glosh attacks the FW. He hits, and does 8 Body. Roll one Block just to see if you can apply the Missile Reflection, and if it succeeds roll an attack roll to see if you hit Glosh with it (or a random target if you really want to do it as a ricochet that way and pay to be able to hit any target).

Blaan attacks the FW. He hits, and does 11 Body. The FW is destroyed and the Missile Reflection doesn't apply.

Here is an example of the second method:

Force Wall: 10 rPD/10 rED;

Reduced End Cost: 0 End (+1/2);

Persistant (+1/2);

+Missile Deflection and Reflection: Ranged;

Persistant (+1/2);

Linked (-1/4);

Glosh attacks the FW. Roll your Block. If it succeeds, roll your Missile Reflection attack to see if you hit with it. If your Block fails and Glosh hits, doing 8 Body, your FW still stops the attack.

Blaan attacks the FW. Roll your Block. If it succeeds, roll your Missile Reflection attack to see if you hit with it. If your Block fails and Blaan hits, doing 11 Body, your FW is destroyed.

This might be picking nits, but don't you roll to hit, then roll MD/R or block, and only if that fails roll damage? The MD/R roll could make the damage irrelevant. That's how I've always played it.

Edit: I'm scratching my head trying to figure out what you've described. Sorry if I'm misunderstanding.

This might be picking nits, but don't you roll to hit, then roll MD/R or block, and only if that fails roll damage? The MD/R roll could make the damage irrelevant. That's how I've always played it.

Edit: I'm scratching my head trying to figure out what you've described. Sorry if I'm misunderstanding.

In the first approach, the Reflection can (but may not if you require a Deflection roll as an Activation on the Reflection for balance purposes) only occur if the attack hits the Force Wall normally and does not break through (requiring some kind of damage determination right off the bat). You could roll damage once to see if it breaks through, and then again vs. the Reflection target if the Reflection hits, or you could just roll it once. There is absolutely no preliminary Deflection to keep the FW from being hit. It WILL be hit, just as if the Missile Reflection did not exist at all.

In the second approach, the Deflection can keep the FW from being hit at all, and this is the condition under which the Reflection occurs. If the Deflection fails, only then is the FW hit (and possibly broken).

hmmm' date=' maybe linked to an RKA damage shield with the limitation "Only to amount deflected" (-1/2), and "Only on attacks that are stopped" (-1/4), Probably standard effect rule.[/quote']

Roy The Ruthles!

After thinking a while, I realised that I need Damage Shield if I want the wall to reflect HTH attacks too. MDR only works against ranged attacks. Thank you.

I'm not quite sure what you're asking here. To maintain a Force Wall, all you do is spend END. Let me ask you this: does the character spend END to maintain the wall? If the answer is no, then you're probably looking for Entangle rather than Force Wall.

…

For the Force Wall (or Entangle) build it as normal. For the Missile Deflection/Reflection, build it Ranged, Indirect, Uncontrolled, and Linked to Force Wall (or Entangle). Possibly Persistent and 0 END, but check with your GM before applying these two with Uncontrolled to one Power (if you're the GM then you don't need my permission or anyone else's).

Chirs Goodwin!

Yes, Entangle might be better for this. Thanks for mentioning it, and thanks for the list of Power Modifiers.

I agree that MDR is applied before rolling damage. I plan to use a Power Limition on MDR “only when attack is weaker than Wall’s DEF’â€

Cheers!

In the first approach, the Reflection can (but may not if you require a Deflection roll as an Activation on the Reflection for balance purposes) only occur if the attack hits the Force Wall normally and does not break through (requiring some kind of damage determination right off the bat). You could roll damage once to see if it breaks through, and then again vs. the Reflection target if the Reflection hits, or you could just roll it once. There is absolutely no preliminary Deflection to keep the FW from being hit. It WILL be hit, just as if the Missile Reflection did not exist at all.

In the second approach, the Deflection can keep the FW from being hit at all, and this is the condition under which the Reflection occurs. If the Deflection fails, only then is the FW hit (and possibly broken).

Whoops. I also missed the part where the original poster said that he wanted the attack to be deflected if it didn't break the Force Wall.

Buy the Force Wall as a Follower' date=' Duplicate, or Summons. Since it is an actual being with actual SPD, it can take actions independent of its creator.[/quote']

Good call but do it as a Summon so you can keep putting up new ones.