What are some interesting disadvantages you have used?

Aries

Re: What are some interesting disadvantages you have used?

Psych Lim: Total Colorblindness gets interesting when he's the only character not tied up or otherwise incapaciated when there's a bomb to be defused.

"Cut the blue wire!"

"Is that the light gray one or the dark gray one?"

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Psych Lim: Total Colorblindness gets interesting when he's the only character not tied up or otherwise incapaciated when there's a bomb to be defused.

"Cut the blue wire!"

"Is that the light gray one or the dark gray one?"

That is such a great idea. I may pull this on my players :)

Reputation: Horrendously Bad Comic Book Writer, 11- (Extreme; Known Only To A Small Group)

Hunted: Angry Comic Geeks 8- (Less Pow, PC has a Public ID or is otherwise very easy to find, Mildly Punish)

You were playing Rob Liefeld?

In the first Dark Champions game I played in, one of the players had a PC with Psych Lim: Believes he's starring in a movie. He'd often call "Cut" or "I'll be in my trailer" when we finished doing something (finding a clue, finishing a fight, etc.). If we'd travel, he'd always thank his limo driver who didn't exist.

In a non-Champions game, I had "Stoic" for a character. My favorite psych lim for one character was "lecherous," though I have to say the one that made the GM laugh with appreciation was when I was playing a Greek demigod (using the kit from The Olympians) and my character, Orion, was having a drink of wine with Virgo from Zodiac in a night club. My character had the "unfamiliar with earth culture" limitation and since I was talking to the virgin Virgo, my character stated something to the effect of "If you are ever concerned about being sacrificed because you're a virgin, I'll take care of that problem for you." It was said in all seriousness, too. :)

In the first Dark Champions game I played in' date=' one of the players had a PC with Psych Lim: [i']Believes he's starring in a movie[/i]. He'd often call "Cut" or "I'll be in my trailer" when we finished doing something (finding a clue, finishing a fight, etc.). If we'd travel, he'd always thank his limo driver who didn't exist.

I SO love this one. Expecially if the character is/was an actor. This is a great idea. Hope you dont mind if I steal it.

I SO love this one. Expecially if the character is/was an actor. This is a great idea. Hope you dont mind if I steal it.

Not at all. If I did mind, I'd have to be all :hush:-:hush: about it. :D

"Toys with Prey" was a good defining Psych Lim for Calico' date=' my feline martial artist. She really tried to just knock villians out just enough so she could wake them up again...[/quote']

Smack Smack Smack- "Hey wake up, no time to sleep on the job!"

Of course that can backfire on you if you arent carefull (So busy playing with someone that you dont see someone else sneak up from behind).

I think thrill-seeker can be a great Psych Lim, but it has to be done right. It can't just be "I'm doing [this] in the down time." I think of thrill-seeker as a swashbuckler & romantic attitude. In one game, there was a murder in the castle where we were staying. The action was going on on the floor I was on and another PC (a swashbuckler, nonetheless) was on the floor above. He used bedsheets to make a rope and just swung down into a random bedroom, which happened to be mine and my PC's twin sister's. Since my character didn't recognize him, there was a bit of a scuffle before things were straightened out (which was fun for all).

In my current champions campaign, one of the PCs has this and when they were fighting the main villain and her thugs in her mansion, said PC jumped from the second floor to the chandelier in hopes to swing and attack. The result that she missed the chandelier and smacked into the wall was just added humor.

Oh, another one: Physical Limitation: Doesn't feel pain when Enraged. It works best for a PC with Regeneration. I had recommended this to my then roommate when I was running a San Fran game. When he'd get enraged, I'd be the one who'd take into account his Stun and Body. Luckily, he was a brick (though no hardened defenses), so hitting -8 Body once didn't come as close to killing him as it would have others, but it was close. He had a side effect to this where he'd collapse or take extra Stun or something (it's been over 5 years) as well, but I don't recall exactly what.

Smack Smack Smack- "Hey wake up, no time to sleep on the job!"

Of course that can backfire on you if you arent carefull (So busy playing with someone that you dont see someone else sneak up from behind).

That's what danger sense is for. :eg:

Though most of the time, the real disad was that the other PCs would get mad at her and toss explosions onto her unconsious opponents. One to get her off of them, and two to GM them...

I think thrill-seeker can be a great Psych Lim' date=' but it has to be done right. It can't just be "I'm doing [this'] in the down time." I think of thrill-seeker as a swashbuckler & romantic attitude. In one game, there was a murder in the castle where we were staying. The action was going on on the floor I was on and another PC (a swashbuckler, nonetheless) was on the floor above. He used bedsheets to make a rope and just swung down into a random bedroom, which happened to be mine and my PC's twin sister's. Since my character didn't recognize him, there was a bit of a scuffle before things were straightened out (which was fun for all).

In my current champions campaign, one of the PCs has this and when they were fighting the main villain and her thugs in her mansion, said PC jumped from the second floor to the chandelier in hopes to swing and attack. The result that she missed the chandelier and smacked into the wall was just added humor.

This is actually a good one. What kind of point value do you think should be assigned to this kind of disadvantage?

That's what danger sense is for. :eg:

Though most of the time, the real disad was that the other PCs would get mad at her and toss explosions onto her unconsious opponents. One to get her off of them, and two to GM them...

Yeah if you dont have danger sense then it could be a problem A Serious problem :yes:

Oh' date=' another one: Physical Limitation: [i']Doesn't feel pain when Enraged[/i]. It works best for a PC with Regeneration. I had recommended this to my then roommate when I was running a San Fran game. When he'd get enraged, I'd be the one who'd take into account his Stun and Body. Luckily, he was a brick (though no hardened defenses), so hitting -8 Body once didn't come as close to killing him as it would have others, but it was close. He had a side effect to this where he'd collapse or take extra Stun or something (it's been over 5 years) as well, but I don't recall exactly what.

This is an interesting one as well

In a star hero game I gm, one of my potential players asked if he could take psychological limitation: "wants to create as much chaos as possible, thus introducing more entropy and accelerating the eventual heat death of the universe." I didn't let him because I was afraid he would actually find a way to destroy the universe.

----------------------------------------------------

A play a sort of eccentric viking warrior named Wallace in a low fantasy campaign. He's contributed to making the game much less serious, in small part to his psychological limitation. He carries an iron flask around and talks to it when he is lonely or needs advice. It's name is Shiny Willy. Eventually Shiny Willy became "GM hits the players with the obvious stick." He gives great advice. Later I bought dice of luck with the psychosomatic limitation IIF shiny willy. Having his imaginary friend around makes him more confident.

------------------------------------------------------

I know a guy who... okay I admit it was me, forgive me, I don't know what I was thinking at the time.

In a one shot game, I played a character with the psychological limitation "Marks his territory by urinating on fallen foes."

Fortunately, he never won a fight.

My daughter just created a teen hero PC with a hunted in her non-super form (though she's a pretty fearsome martial artist)--a boy from her school who hates her. Think Draco Malfoy in the Harry Potter series. This same Hunted is her DNPC in her hero form. The boy is also a supers fanboy, especially crazy about her PC.

Tomcat had a number of psych lims regarding lechery, competitiveness and such but the most fun was Utterly Incompetent at First Aid. He could not do it to even the least degree and he absolutely could not learn to do it.

"Tomcat, get that guy's pulse!"

"Got it, where do you want it?"

"Eeuuw!"

SwordDancer had a collection of DNPCs that consistent of her boss/lover, his wife, and their two children who were her contemporaries/friends from college. She also had a few psych and soc limits relating to her dysfunctional love life.

A play a sort of eccentric viking warrior named Wallace in a low fantasy campaign. He's contributed to making the game much less serious, in small part to his psychological limitation. He carries an iron flask around and talks to it when he is lonely or needs advice. It's name is Shiny Willy. Eventually Shiny Willy became "GM hits the players with the obvious stick." He gives great advice. Later I bought dice of luck with the psychosomatic limitation IIF shiny willy. Having his imaginary friend around makes him more confident.

QUOTE]

Once, shiney willy got captured (by which i mean confiscated when we were captured) so we decided to break into a heavily defended military base to get him back because we didn't want to loose such an important member of our team.

This is actually a good one. What kind of point value do you think should be assigned to this kind of disadvantage?

Thank you. The player that has this currently has it at 15 points, Common, Strong.

Most interesting disadvantage? Insanity on 13-. Makes for very odd roleplaying when you break off in the middle of a sentance and forget the other person exists, and thats one of the more socially acceptable problems. It all stems from multiple personality sydrome, in this case the minds are real. I count it one of a few disadvantages it has been my pleasure to have.

Oh that reminds me, not a disadvantage i have used but...someone i know used to run another character with multiple personality sydrome. One of the personas was 'bwian', an openly gay persona that used to compliment supervillans on thier looks while fighting them. I believe one of his lims was

'speaks in lisping overly camp voice'. Suffice to say that persona only came up occasionally.

Another lim of mine 'immortal perspective of morals' was recently foreshortened by vote to 'Pain in the ass'.