Chases

Wijbrandus

I am curious to find out what systems everyone uses for chases in Hero. In a combat situation, the basic movement speed certainly works fine, but eventually someone wants to run away. Although a simple comparison of relative speed works, it has always seemed to me to be too cut and dry (20", 5 speed always beats 18", 5 speed, etc.).

The d20 Spycraft system (for example) had a very usable skill vs skill contest system for chases, in which speed was a factor, but not the only one. Instead, sudden turns and daring maneuvers could allow a slow runner to get away from a fast one.

Anyone use any systems that they particularly like for Hero? Or have any thoughts? hehe, or am I just missing such a system in one of the many Hero books?

---

Sean Wijbrandus

http://www.wijbrandus.com/nexus

Re: Chases

I've very freeform and open for a chase or getaway. Should a villain want to run away, he runs away. Should a hero want to chase him, he would need to have enough movement to at least keep him in sight. The villain's goal is to get out of sight of the hero, and then stay out of sight. So in order for the villain to get away, he'll have to make a few turns and twists so that when the hero catches up, he's lost sight of his prey. About half the time, the hero just gives up there. Other times, the hero might guess where the villain went (with a Deduction Roll for example) and try to follow. The hero gets closer if he has more movement than the villain, but if the villain has more movement, it's usually a lost cause, but not always. Should the chase be in vehicles, there is rarely enough room for the lead vehicle to use it's full movement, but it tends to leave wide openings behind it as it moves, allowing a slower vehicle to catch up (though Combat Driving could help keep those openings from ahappening, or time his movements so that they close up quickly (like darting across a busy intersection aganst a red light).

My favorites is the strong villain that can severely hurt the hero, but either just wants to get away or can't last long himself, that the hero keeps catching up to. The fight for a Phase, maybe too, then the villain runs again. makes for a really exciting chase, especially when the villain starts to use the enviornment against the hero.

I'm more or less like DR. I find heroes most often don't want to try brute force out-running the villains, they'll usually resort to other powers and tricks, if they have the time. But frankly I'm not good at chases and villains are usually slipping away when the action's heavy, so that they just get away, or if they are running at the end of a fight they usually just get away (some great escape method or simply speed) or they seem to get caught pretty quick.

Guest Confusinator

I do a skill vs skill check. I might have a set number of successes that must be achieved before the chase is over, like three successes in a row. Then I just roleplay the events as we go.

For example, after the PC's wins a skill check, I might say, you find a open stretch of road, pour on the speed, and close the distance by half. Then the next roll he loses, I might say, you continue to gain, but then someone unexpectently backs out of a driveway in front of you. You swerve around them, fishtail and almost crash. You lose some of the distance you had gained.

But, if it is necessary for the NPC not to get caught, then they don't get caught, dice be damned! :bmk: