need help with starship trooper aliens

nightbringer256

hi all

i am starting a new star hero game, that is set in the alien wars setting. however my game starts this friday, and i won't have the money for alien wars until saturday or sunday. so i am going to make a temporary write up. let me know what you guys think.

Player:

Val Char Cost

15/20 STR 5

5 DEX -15

15 CON 10

15/16 BODY 10

0 INT -10

0 EGO 0

20 PRE 10

0 COM -5

4 PD 9

4 ED 9

2 SPD 5

6 REC 0

45 END 8

18" RUN 0

2" SWIM 0

3" LEAP 0

Characteristics Cost: 36

Cost Power

60 the hive mind's influance: Automaton (Takes No STUN)

30 Pincers: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 2d6 (plus STR) (vs. PD)

4 4 legs, 2 arms, 1 set of pincers: Extra Limbs (5 Active Points); Limited Manipulation (-1/4)

24 damn fast: Running +12" (added to Primary Value)

3 huge body: Growth (+5 STR, +1 BODY, +1 STUN, -1" KB, +0 DCV, +0 PER Rolls to perceive character, 2 m tall, 1 m wide, 0" reach) (5 Active Points); always on (-1/2) (added to Secondary Value)

Powers Cost: 121

Total Character Cost: 157

Pts. Disadvantage

25 Psychological Limitation: Animal Instincts, Very Common, Total

25 Social Limitation: No Free Will, Very Frequently (14-), Severe

25 Distinctive Features: Alien warrior, Not Concealable, Extreme Reaction, Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses

30 Enraged: when delt body, Common, go 14-, recover 8-

20 Enraged: when brought down to brought down to half body (i.e. 0), Uncommon, go 11-, recover 14-, Berserk

Disadvantage Points: 125

Base Points: 200

Experience Required: 0

Total Experience Available: 0

Experience Unspent: 0

Re: need help with starship trooper aliens

Not bad. :) There are some differences from published Xenovores, but I can't really discuss the details on open forums. One point, though, the new edition of the rules discourages taking Growth Always On for creatures that are larger than human. It recommends using one of the size template Package Deals that are repeated in several books: Fifth Edition, Revised; HERO System Bestiary; Star HERO and Fantasy HERO.

If you do decide to use Growth, you should buy it to 0 END, Persistant, and probably Inherent, before applying Always On.

Asssuming this is the most common bugs seen in the movie:

I'd increase their Growth to 15 active points, as they were much taller than the soldiers. There's no way one of those things doesn't have the -2 to perception while being "stealthy". Also, you have to add some advantages on to it before you can use the "always on" limitation in FrEd.

Dex of 5? I don't remember those bugs missing very often. I'd say this is a 12 or 15. I like the SPD of two, b/c they seemed to pause a lot in between attacks.

I'd also sell back their swimming... those spindley legs can't let them swim very good.

I agree with SaintHax that the dex should be much higher. However, you might be able to get away with reducing their body a little.

They weren't necessarily hard to kill individually, there just happened to be a lot of them. Hence, they would overrun soldier by having more troops than rounds of ammo.

Add some resistent defence for the chitinous shell. If using growth, I'd lower their mass slightly (they're big, but aren't weighty, I'd have them at less than twice the mass of a human). The Pincers I'd make armour piercing. May want to give them tunnelling as well.

thanks for the feed back

the bugs are only losly (sp) based on the ones from the book and movie, i am not going for compelete accuracy. i added the AP to the pincers, upped the growth and DEX, and brought down the body. let me know what you think of this version. also if you guys have any ideas for the other bugs, the tankers and those flying bug, the brain bug, and the ones that shoot the plasma.

Player: NPC

Val Char Cost

15/30 STR 5

13 DEX 9

15 CON 10

5/8 BODY -10

0 INT -10

0 EGO 0

20 PRE 10

0 COM -5

4 PD 9

4 ED 9

3 SPD 7

6 REC 0

45 END 8

18" RUN 0

0" SWIM -2

3" LEAP 0

Characteristics Cost: 46

Cost Power

60 the hive mind's influance: Automaton (Takes No STUN)

45 Pincers: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 2d6 (plus STR) (vs. PD), Armor Piercing (+1/2) (45 Active Points)

4 4 legs, 2 arms, 1 set of pincers: Extra Limbs (5 Active Points); Limited Manipulation (-1/4)

24 damn fast: Running +12" (added to Primary Value)

23 huge body: Growth (+15 STR, +3 BODY, +3 STUN, -3" KB, -2 DCV, +2 PER Rolls to perceive character, 4 m tall, 2 m wide, 1" reach), Inherent (+1/4), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistent (+1/2) (34 Active Points); always on (-1/2) (added to Secondary Value)

12 Damage Resistance (4 PD / 4 ED)

Powers Cost: 168

Total Character Cost: 214

Pts. Disadvantage

25 Psychological Limitation: Animal Instincts, Very Common, Total

25 Social Limitation: No Free Will, Very Frequently (14-), Severe

25 Distinctive Features: Alien warrior, Not Concealable, Extreme Reaction, Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses

30 Enraged: when delt body, Common, go 14-, recover 8-

20 Enraged: when brought down to brought down to half body (i.e. 0), Uncommon, go 11-, recover 14-, Berserk

Disadvantage Points: 125

Base Points: 200

Experience Required: 0

Total Experience Available: 0

Experience Unspent: 0

thanks for the help i am running this game tommorow (friday 24, 2005) i will let you know how it goes

If you're going for movie bugs, I'd add in some damage reduction that doesn't apply to Vitals or Head hits. And give them an enormous STUN pool. That whole 'blow a limb off and the don't really care'. I wouldn't go with 'takes no STUN', as they can still be con-stunned - get enough guys with guns and they can effectively pin one in place. But it takes a LOT of bullets to put 'em down, unless you get a cortical hit.

they had quite an interesting fight with the bugs, however the RL (red lantern) :) of the team put a stop to them pritty quickly. however the RL (actually two characters, the actually RL and then his ring is also a PC) is now on a deep space mission, and the rest of the team is investigating a abondoned reasearch base. they docked on the skyhock station and found 15 dead bodies, skeletons, the brought power back online and took the elivator down. i ended the game with them trudging across the wasteland following the monorail tracks.

-=SPOILER ALERT=-

members of my game don't read

little do they know that they are walking right into an encounter right out of alien. the enemy in this is based of the 40k Lictor. i will be posting my write up of it in the near future.

let me know what you think

Well, if it worked for your game thats good. I would however, increase their Body statistic. 15 to 16 Body sounds about right for a creature of that size.

If you want that whole "Sweet Spot" effect, have a "vitals" section on the creature that the characters can aim for at -5 OCV or so (don't make it as high as -8. They need to be able to hit it on a regular basis) and make that particular spot unarmored (kinda like Invid's eyes)