Hero Rules

Guest taxboy4

Guest taxboy4

I've bought electronic copies of all the Fantasy Hero rules - now I find it looks like I need a copy of the Original rules also - which version should i buy - not worried if its version 4 - and can i buy them elctronically - costs a lot to get them to me here downunder.

Any replies most welcome.

Cheers:cool:

Guest Celt

Yes, sorry to tell you too late but those are source and genre books. They were written for 4th ed Hero (or BBB as you may hear it called) but you'd be better off going with 5th edition (or Fred). There were important changes but nothing that you can't adapt or post here for clarification.

Unfortunately, the core rulebooks have never been in electronic format, so you would have to pay to have the books shipped to you.

As far as a choice of which book to get, the 5th Edition is clearer and has more options than 4th, and all future Hero Games books will follow its ruleset, so as a long-term investment it's better value for your money. As Super Squirrel and Celt have indicated, the changes from 4th to 5th are rarely major, and your FH rulebooks would be easy enough to adapt to it, especially with the always-ready help from these boards. If price is a concern, your best bet to find a copy of 5E relatively cheap is on the eBay electronic auction website (we can show you how to find it if it's unfamiliar), but the Hero Games online store also has slightly damaged copies at a reduced price - just follow the link at the top of this page.

OTOH, the 4th Edition of the HERO System is perfectly usable, fully compatible with the Fantasy HERO books that you own, and should be available for far less than 5th. It came in various hard or soft-cover volumes packaged with the Champions sourcebook (Stock #'s 400, 450, and 451), as well as a softcover volume with just the system rules (Stock # 500). If you're not interested in super-hero gaming, the HERO System 4th Edition by itself would be the best buy. None of these are currently in print, so again, the best deals would likely be on eBay, although I could direct you to several reputable online used game dealers who often have copies and ship internationally.

Guest taxboy4

Thanks

Thanks

I might do that

I've emailed several New Zealand bookstores to see if they have a copy of 4 or 5 in stock in meanwhile.

Thanks

Originally posted by Lord Liaden

Unfortunately, the core rulebooks have never been in electronic format, so you would have to pay to have the books shipped to you.

Actually, the 4th Edition Hero System Rulesbook was available as an electronic download for a while during the Cybergames era. When DoJ came on board, they wisely discontinued it so as not to detract from their new flagship product.

I have the HSR 4th Ed pdf. I also have the full version of Acrobat and cross-indexed the snot out of it with links and bookmarks. I wish I could do that with 5th.

I agree with the others, though. Go with Fifth. You'll appreciate it in the long run.

Keith "Too little, too late" Curtis

Guest Celt

Re: 4th Edition PDF

Originally posted by taxboy4

Any chance of emailing me the pdf?

But that would be stealing food from the mouths of the creators of rpgs, of whom Keith Curtis is one. :D

Guest Celt

Commendable of you but don't hold your breath. If they wanted fourth edition to be available they'd still have it available. I bought my own pdf copy as a download here back in the Cybergames days. I'd love to have fifth as pdf as well but that not the way they've chosen to make it available.

Too true - but I'm relaxed about paying them a fee for it

Perhaps, then, they should be "relaxed" about allowing you to use their copyrighted information.

Really, dude. It takes big hanging brass balls to go on a company's discussion board on that company's web site and ask people to pirate that company's products for you.

Go away. Don't play Hero System. I don't want you playing in my favorite system.

Thanks for the correction on the Hero 4th rulebook, Keith. Completely slipped my mind. I still tend to associate 4th in my mind with the BBB, which didn't make it to pdf.

The rulebook pdf is no longer available from Hero Games, of course, but IIRC they were selling it up to the time that FREd made it to market.

Originally posted by archer

Perhaps, then, they should be "relaxed" about allowing you to use their copyrighted information.

Really, dude. It takes big hanging brass balls to go on a company's discussion board on that company's web site and ask people to pirate that company's products for you.

Go away. Don't play Hero System. I don't want you playing in my favorite system.

That may be a little hasty, Chris. Not everyone may be aware of the etiquette governing electronic books. Besides, when taxboy4 was referring to "paying them a fee for it," he might have meant that he would pay Hero Games.

Maybe not, of course, but it's easy to misinterpret what's written in haste.

Originally posted by Lord Liaden

That may be a little hasty, Chris. Not everyone may be aware of the etiquette governing electronic books. Besides, when taxboy4 was referring to "paying them a fee for it," he might have meant that he would pay Hero Games.

Maybe not, of course, but it's easy to misinterpret what's written in haste.

I assumed he meant paying DoJ. If DoJ wanted people to be able to buy the book in pdf, it would still be available in their stores. It's not like they have to warehouse an inventory of it. Since they don't want to sell it, I can't either in good conscience.

Keith "Besides, You'll enjoy Fifth much better" Curtis

Thanks

I might do that

I've emailed several New Zealand bookstores to see if they have a copy of 4 or 5 in stock in meanwhile.

Thanks

There's a copy on the shelf at Comics Compulsion in Christchurch. I'd grab it myself if I had the spare cash (I like to have a spare copy around if I can -- one for me, and one for the plebs).

Guest taxboy4

Wow

Some People get real excited. Of course I meant to pay the Developers. "doesn't want me playing his Favorite system"- that comment is a bit sad man, its a RPG not a religion (tho it''s all Fantasy as far as I'm concerned).

I can only imagine after a comment like that , that person doesn't go out much..and owns 3 computers...

Re Christchurch comments - thanks for that I'll contact them tomorrow - just to make sure I understand, they have a 4th edition rules and its exact name is Champions?

Cheers

The Anti Christ (Apparently)

Re: Wow

Some People get real excited. Of course I meant to pay the Developers. "doesn't want me playing his Favorite system"- that comment is a bit sad man, its a RPG not a religion (tho it''s all Fantasy as far as I'm concerned).

I can only imagine after a comment like that , that person doesn't go out much..and owns 3 computers...

Re Christchurch comments - thanks for that I'll contact them tomorrow - just to make sure I understand, they have a 4th edition rules and its exact name is Champions?

Cheers

The Anti Christ (Apparently)

Actually, if your going to play Fantasy Hero and don't need all of the Superhero material, you might want to try looking for the HSR or Hero System Rulesbook 4th Edition. The Champions book basically reprints this book in its first half (which has the rules set), while the second half has a lot of superhero material and campaign info you may not need.

You can probably save yourself some money, since the HSR is soft bound and probably in less demand.

Keith "I never doubted you, but you gotta expect evil thoughts when you put the word 'tax' in your name :)" Curtis

Guest taxboy4

Hero Rules

Fair point, but i a good guy, a tax accountant...not a taxman...tho we do charge obscence fees...wel my bosses do...I charge out at $175+GST per hour and i get around $40 / hour

Good advice re books - ta.

xx

Re: Wow

Taxboy,

I apologize for the jerkitude. It looked to me like you were asking people to e-mail you the PDF. There used to be a lot of that going around on rec.games.frp.super-heroes and even a bit on the previous incarnations of the boards.

Re: Hero Rules

Fair point, but i a good guy, a tax accountant...not a taxman...tho we do charge obscence fees...wel my bosses do...I charge out at $175+GST per hour and i get around $40 / hour

Good advice re books - ta.

xx

One of the (many) perks in marrying my wife is that I gained a Step-father-in-law who is a Tax Accountant. Which is a good thing, indeed. We had to make one alteration once the taxes had been submitted (our fault), and the IRS rep said it was one of the most complicated she had ever seen. In one year we added to our regular forms, the forms for a new dependant, a foreign adopion tax credit, a self-employment home business and all the deductibles thereof. The stack of forms was nearly an inch thick

Keith "We paid him with dinner and a play" Curtis