Comic books

Phil

Re: Comic books

Way back in my old Silver Age campaign, I had an NPC served with a writ by National Publications to stop her using the name "Wonder Woman", while Marvel's Spider-Man was going to be a licensed version of one of the PCs in the group, until negotiations broke down - at which point Stan made superficial changes to his character's name, "distinctive likeness" and background, including making Peter Parker younger (the "real" Spider was in his thirties) so the readers would "relate" to him better.

I mentioned this on another thread, but I think it fits here....

My Champions character is called Manga. He is a power-Armored hero with the armor having a "techno-samurai" look to it. (Think Ronin Warriors).

In his civilian life, the hero is a Comicbook artist. He draws the popular Manga comicbook. The artist designed the comicbook as a secretive PR gimmick to help get his alter-ego known. This later backfired when he was confronted by a group of villians that attacked him in his secret ID, trying to get in touch with Manga. Needless to say, he had to escape and then return in the suit.

Oh and as a sneaky little trick.... Manga gets paid to be a consultant on the comicbook.... which is drawn by Manga's pilot.... Go Figure. I'm waiting for my GM to turn that against me too.

A recent upgrade changed the suits look in real (game) life and not in the comic... Sales dropped.

I don't see why comics wouldn't exist personally. These posts have covered most of what I think so I won't waste your time by re-typing it.

I'll hav eto find the issue # but there's a good one of What The..? that had the Thing marching down to Marvel's offices (and litterly kicking down the door) to complain about an issue of his comic.

In the book it's a long drawn out fight last 22 pages, in reality though the fight last 2 seconds when all the Thing had to do was flick the guy with his pinky finger. The writer in question told him they had to make it more intresting to fill out the book. Was hilarous watching the two stories being told from different perspectives.

The game group Im in has several campaigns running under different Refs, in different "worlds".

So when Ian is running Earth A, the events of the Metaworld game Im running become the events and characters from comics on Earth A.

When Im running Metaworld, the Earth A characters are in -their- comics.

And when they eventually crossed over, that was alot of fun!! :D

First post here, so hi!

Anyway, both the DC and Maevel universes have superhero comics in them that detail the hero's adventures, so I don't see anything wrong with the idea.

Additionally, WWII soldier comics were printed during WWII, and that was real. Just because something exists doesn't mean the public wouldn't want Comic books about it.

From Las Vegas superhero team thread:

This got me thinking, what is the situation on comic books for your champions campaign?

Phil

I figure that Marvel & DC exist and that all their real world superhero comics also exist (but I seem to be in the minority in that I do NOT have any existing characters from comics/CU/etc) in my games.

There may be comics based on "real" heroes from the gameworld, but they're about as realistic as tv movies in the real world that are based on the lives of real people--some passing resemblance to the truth, but modified to make for better stories or just because the producers can't help changing stuff to put their mark on it. Plus, of course, superheroes with REAL secret identities aren't going to cooperate with the comic writers...so the "real" characters are mostly fictional to begin with.

• 4 months later...

In my prior campaign, comics were basically a lot like the old Eastern coverage of the "Wild West", with somewhat to heavily fictionalized versions of superheroics. They called themselves "news" to get around any kind of necessity to get permission or such. In that campaign, supers had been around since the beginning of comics and so the comics started covering Superman in this fashion and due to supers being a news draw they generally remained popular, even if still seen as low-grade writing/art.

In my current campaign, I just ripped off the Watchmen idea directly, with cowboy and pirate comics being the popular action comics of the current day. In this campaign, supers didn't start until 1948, so the original supers comics existed. However, by 1948, as in real life, they had waned in popularity, and the real-life mutants were too controversial for "comics." A few supers imitated the original comics, including the very first super who did call himself and seemed like Superman. However, he didn't kick off any decent trend since he was killed quickly by a mad scientist (who was in turn caught by a new, non-imitative super - Spiderman).

In my prior campaign, comics were basically a lot like the old Eastern coverage of the "Wild West", with somewhat to heavily fictionalized versions of superheroics. They called themselves "news" to get around any kind of necessity to get permission or such. In that campaign, supers had been around since the beginning of comics and so the comics started covering Superman in this fashion and due to supers being a news draw they generally remained popular, even if still seen as low-grade writing/art.

In my current campaign, I just ripped off the Watchmen idea directly, with cowboy and pirate comics being the popular action comics of the current day. In this campaign, supers didn't start until 1948, so the original supers comics existed. However, by 1948, as in real life, they had waned in popularity, and the real-life mutants were too controversial for "comics." A few supers imitated the original comics, including the very first super who did call himself and seemed like Superman. However, he didn't kick off any decent trend since he was killed quickly by a mad scientist (who was in turn caught by a new, non-imitative super - Spiderman).

I like your death of Superman idea. :)

In the campaign I've recently posted a timeline for, I'm going in part the Dime Novel route a well. There many genres of cheap pulp paper comic available. One of the most popular genres is the Super News Comic. These tell the often highly exagerated and fictionalized stories of real supers. Standard newspapers and magazines also carry stories on upers in the same way they would stories on other public figures, and both authorized and unauthorized biographies of Supers and True Super Crime Novels are widely read.

In the SuperSquad America universe, my view is that Marvel and DC exist and publish many of the same characters as they do in the real world. As for any other publishers and whether or not DC and Marvel publish any comics about real superheroes, it has not yet come up so I have not made any decisions on the matter.