Fires of War: The Algernon Files Vol II-- first HERO system preview

Longshadow

Re: Fires of War: The Algernon Files Vol II-- first HERO system preview

I like how the stuff looks. Very nice.

Also like the Scorpion's write-up. Diversified set of skills/talents and the power-constructions don't feel clunky or cluged-together.

Good job guys.

The character doesn't look bad. A little under-powered for a standard Champions character [dex, spd, def] but easily upgradable. It looks like you'll have a sale, though I'm debating to buy the full-color version or not yet. 8- ego rolls when it comes to full-color. :)

The character doesn't look bad. A little under-powered for a standard Champions character [dex' date= spd, def] but easily upgradable. It looks like you'll have a sale, though I'm debating to buy the full-color version or not yet. 8- ego rolls when it comes to full-color. :)

A little underpowered yeah, but we don't know what sort of villains he usually goes after. For most of the superpowered baddies he's underpowered sure but if he's just going after normal gangsters and such then he's sufficiently powerful to kick much tail. That's just my opinion of course.

Keep in mind that he's also a GAC style character ... I can't imagine that there's a ton of heroes starting @ 350 pts then ;)

Neat write-up ... I think my only gripe would be the negative space on the character description page. Any way that the image could be bigger or have that filled in maybe with a combat matrix? I know I'd find that useful :)

A combat matrix could be useful. Something along the lines of what I used for GoldenAge's "gods" thread:

Heracles

STUN: 80

END: 60

PD: 35 (35r)

ED: 35 (35r)

REC: 22

Stun #: 66

DEX: 26

SPS: 5

Running: 8"

Levels: +3 HtH

It would help fill up that third column area or you coul do the format sideways and put the chart in the bottom half of the text page.

1) The Scorpion normally takes on gangsters and the like. Think "pulp" more than actual "Champions." He's only PL 8 in M&M, with modern supertypes characters usually starting at around PL 10. The rare times he has to take on "specials," he makes up for his deficiencies in sheer bloody-minded, over-the-top, even- Warren-Ellis-would-blanch violence. Also, he's still working to measure up to his predecessor's boots. Trust me, when you see the first of the modern books, there won't be complaints about having to scale "up" (down, perhaps, but not up -- unless you're in some really gonzo campaign models).

2) Dave is a big believer in matrices and indicia. I imagine he'll gleefully be cobbling something together along those lines.

3) Dave and I are talking about upping the font and picture sizes for the text pages -- what you see here is the size needed for M&M scaled pages.

I hear rumors of full color editions being available, would you care to comment Mr. Mattingly? Mr Longshadow?

By specific order only. Double the cover price of the B&W. Sorry, but at the numbers we produce, color is expensive.

Oh, and it's Longshadow, Aaron, or, if you must, Mr. Sullivan. "Mr. Longshadow" puts me in mind of a bad Feng Shui character. :lol:

By specific order only. Double the cover price of the B&W. Sorry, but at the numbers we produce, color is expensive.

Oh, and it's Longshadow, Aaron, or, if you must, Mr. Sullivan. "Mr. Longshadow" puts me in mind of a bad Feng Shui character. :lol:

I would expect nothing less. I'll have to see if I can afford that.

Or a really neat sounding Bond villain ...

"Do you expect me to talk, Longshadow?!"

"No Mr. Bond ... I expect you to die!" ;)