Shadow World Hero Help

scranford

Help! I'm getting ready to begin a new Shadow World campaign using Fantasy Hero, and can't find a needed book. I have the first edition Master Atlas and Addendum, but can't locate the Fantasy Hero Addendum for it. This would sure make the translation easier.

If anyone has a copy they could either sale, scan and zip, or photocopy and mail I would be glad to pay for it.

Steve

Re: Shadow World Hero Help

Help! I'm getting ready to begin a new Shadow World campaign using Fantasy Hero, and can't find a needed book. I have the first edition Master Atlas and Addendum, but can't locate the Fantasy Hero Addendum for it. This would sure make the translation easier.

If anyone has a copy they could either sale, scan and zip, or photocopy and mail I would be glad to pay for it.

Steve

Well, #1 would be a legal option, while the other two are technically violating copyright laws.

In the meantime, here are some Links to different Shadow World resources, courtesy of TheQuestionMan. A fine fellow obsessed with gathering conversion links to the HERO system. Hope some of that helps.

Shadow Hero - Role Master's Shadow World Campaign Setting and Conversion

http://www.hierax.com/hero/shadow/

HERO Characteristic Conversion (Str)

http://www.hierax.com/hero/house/cha.html

Spell Law?

http://herogames.com/forums/showthr...light=Spell+Law

Shadow World - Master Atlas

http://www.icewebring.com/ICE_Produ...ter_Atlas.shtml

Spell Law Hero

http://herogames.com/forums/showthr...Hero#post433566

And welcome to the HERO Games boards.

ALL of my Shadow World products went "the way of the Dodo". And I had almost all of them. All the major one's in any case.

That sux like nothing has ever sucked before (for me, anyway)

So now I need to visit E-bay and every other web-shopping resource I can find to build my collection again.

At the very least I want to get the Master Atlus, Jaiman, Emer, And a few other of the "atlas" books. I don't need the adventure books as I don't normally use them...

Thanks for the replies guys. (Hey that rhymes). I'd found most of these links, but it helps to have them all in one place. I don't really need the whole supplement though that would be nice, I just really don't want to have to take the time to create packages for all the Shadow World Races. Maybe someone has done this and can share to save me the time. If not I'll do it myself (eventually) and share with anyone interested.

Steve

Hmmm, I know exactly what you are talking about. I have a massive stack of SW stuff here (just went through it), including the 3rd edition stuff (no 4th edition stuff though).

I was pretty into Hero at the time and the published Hero stuff was weak at best. The racial info is probably all outta whack and worthless.

Nomari (Dwarves)

Val	Char	Cost
13	STR	3
8	DEX	-6
18	CON	16
12	BODY	4
10	INT	0
13	EGO	6
10	PRE	0
10	COM	0

3	PD	0
4	ED	0
2	SPD	2
7/12	REC	0
36	END	0
28	STUN	0

5"	RUN	-2
1"	SWIM	-1
1 1/2"	LEAP	-1
Characteristics Cost: 21

Cost	Power
Stunty [Notes: Reduced running, leaping, and swimming as well.]
5	1)  Hard to Hit: +1 with DCV
3	2) Hard to See: +1 with a group of similar Skills; Sight Group only (Applied as a penalty to other's Sight Group PER Rolls; -1/2)
-3	Unattractive Race: -10 COM, Only to non-nomari
3	Superior Darkvision: Nightvision; Requires 1 candle-power (-1/2)
7	Poison & Disease Resistant: LS (Immunity All terrestrial poisons and chemical warfare agents; Immunity: All terrestrial diseases and biowarfare agents); Variable Effect (Successful CON roll = 20% damage reduction; MoS +/- 1 = +/- 20%; -2)
1	Long Lived: LS (Longevity: 400 Years); Diminished Effect (CON roll every 25 years after 200 years or degenerate over the next 25 years; -1 cumulative for each 25 years; -1/2)
3	Essence & Mentalism Resistant: PowD (8 points); Side Effects, Side Effect occurs automatically whenever Power is used (-2 to cast Essence & Mentalism Spells ; -1), Not versus Channeling (-1/2)
2	Essence & Mentalism Resistant: MD (9 points total); Side Effects, Side Effect occurs automatically whenever Power is used (-2 to cast Essence & Mentalism Spells ; -1), Not versus Channeling (-1/2)
3	Quick Healer: +5 REC; Only for long-term END/BODY (-2)
Powers Cost: 24

Total Race Cost: 45

My RM conversion I used is

5 statb = +3 or -2

10 statb = +/- 5

15 stab = +8 or -7

20 statb = +/- 10

+5 more statb = +/- 5

While this puts trolls at +10 STR, giants are still +15 to +25, although by Hero standards that's low. However, I would also increase STR based on size as well and this will round it out.

DEX = average of Qu & Ag

PR & EM don't directly correlate to PRE, but are a guide. I didn't penalize the dwarves, but maybe they should've been -5 PRE. I think a -1 to Interaction Skills might be more appropriate. You pretty much have to make a guess.

I would avoid trying to convert Spell Law. I've done it and it can be a lot of fun but you lose a lot of what Hero has to offer. My suggestion is to go with one of the standard FH magic systems. Keep the realms, making each one a separate magic skill. The easiest is just divide the real cost by 1/3 as the final cost a character pays. So, a Channeler (-2 lims) would know a 30 active point spell for 30/(1 + 2) = 10 / 3 = 3 points.

Channeling Limitations: -2 1/4

Requires Skill Roll: Channeling -1 per 10 active points, -1/2

Subject to Divine Restrictions -1/4

-1 to casting per doubling of 5kg of mass carried over 10kg (organic counts at half mass) -1/4

Incantations -1/4

Gestures -1/4

Holy Symbol or 0 DCV Concentration or 1/2 DCV & Shouting & Extreme Gestures -1/4

Side Effects if fail by 4 or more: Spell cast on caster or random stat drain (1 minute return) -1/2

Limited to Divine Effects (enhancements, charms, stun only attacks, flashes, geas, etc.) -0

Essence Limitations: -2 1/4

Requires Skill Roll: Essence -1 per 10 active points, -1/2

-1 to casting per doubling of 2.5kg of mass carried over 5kg (organic counts at half mass) -1/2

Incantations -1/4

Gestures -1/4

0 DCV Concentration or Staff/Wand or Self-Only -1/4

Side Effects if fail by 4 or more: Spell cast on caster or random stat drain (1 minute return) -1/2

Limited to Elemental Effects (external enhancements, flash/bang, change env., etc.) -0

Mentalism Limitations: -1 1/2

Requires Skill Roll: Mentalism-1 per 10 active points, -1/2

-1 to casting per doubling of .5 kg worn on head -1/4

Incantations & Conc 1/2 DCV, Gestures & Conc 1/2 DCV, Concentration 0 DCV, -3 Casting, or Touch -1/4

Side Effects if fail by 4 or more: EGO or STUN stat drain (1 minute return) -1/2

Limited to Mentalism Effects (personal enhancements, mental powers, etc.) -0

Generally self-only, but not necessarily. Aid/Succor is usually self-only, but healing is allowed (no raise dead, regrowth or such, just basic healing)

One last edition to the spell limitations. You should decide whether the Spell -1/2 limitation is appropriate or not (FH 246). I think for the most part it is, so that would be something to add as well. Now if you could just come up with another -1/4 lim for Channeling and Essence, with the addtion of the Spell lim you get -3 lims for Chan/Ess and -2 lims for Mentalism. Round numbers are so nice. To capture more of a Spell law feel (i.e. most spells don't fail in casting), change the RSR to -1/4 and have all spells cost double END on a failed roll (yes that means double END and spell mishap on failure of 4+). Heirax: nice conversion notes. I don't necessarily agree with all of them, but RM is such a slippery eel when it comes to conversions. Very well presented.

Nice conversion notes. The stat conversion is pretty much how I would handle it. However, I wouldn't equate Rolemaster "Hits" to Hero "Body", since in Rolemaster, death/serious injury is done through Crits on the crit-chart. Hits are more like Hero's Stun than Body. I would divide RM Hits by 2.5 to get HERO Stun. That makes the RM Human average of 50 hits, equate to HERO human average of 20 Stun. An experienced Warrior in RM with 100 Hits, would have 40 Stun in HERO, which is just about perfect.

You kind of have to "wing" Body. Since its very difficult to pin down how "tough" something is in Rolemaster because of the critical hit system they employ, I'd go with how Body is rated in Hero. Humans/elves/dwarves/Lugroki have around 10 Body on average. Bigger/tougher creatures have more (Dragons around 25-30 Body) smaller/easy to kill creatures have less. If a creature ignores certain Crit levels in RM, that equates to HERO Damage Reduction. Ignore A Crits = 25% Damage Reduction. A and B crits = 50% damage Reduction. Ignoring A through C crits (or better) gives 75% damage reduction!

For the magic...well, thats a whole other (large) post on its own. I'll leave that for another time (hopefully soon)

I did a full conversion of Spell Law to GURPS and while it worked (and was a lot of fun), I think I would rather focus on the feel of Spell Law rather than a literal translation of it.

The primary thing would be to keep it Hero. Don't introduce things (like resistance rolls) that really don't have an analog in Hero. That's why I summarized the limitations above. That combined with some thought out special effects (e.g. most elemental effects aren't available to Channelers) would make for a fine Shadow World game.

I also agree with NuSoard on STUN and the 2.5 is what I used to translate characters (roughly) as well.

I think the Loari and the Linaeri would be significantly expensive races. Even the mannish races will cost a fair number of points. Definitely High Fantasy (makes me want to run it. I luv Shadow World).

It's still very much alive and kicking. Although if you don't play RM the core material is not all that useful but the strength of the setting is its depth and playability.

http://homepage.mac.com/terbob/index.html

You can get the 4th edition Master Atlas through Iron Crown. http://www.ironcrown.com/SWintro.htm

If separated from Spell Law (challenging) it is one of the best worlds to play in, IMHO. I've played it in both GURPS and RoleMaster. It's an old world. If you look at RoleMaster 1st edition it is the "World of Loremasters", going all the way back to 1982.

Prior to starting my Narosia project, Shadow World (RM or GURPS) was all I played.

• 9 months later...

Rolemaster Spell Law Preparation/Casting Times:

• Instantaneous: Extra Time (Delayed Phase; -¼).

• Class I: Extra Time (Full Phase, Delayed Phase; -¾).

• Class II: Extra Time (Extra Phase, Delayed Phase; -1).

• Class III: Extra Time (1 Turn; -1¼).

(Rolemaster 2nd ed. Spell Law [1989] p.12)

(Rolemaster Standard Rules [1995] p.105)

(High Adventure RolePlaying [2004] p.108)

Why Delayed Phase. An Instantaneous Spell is just that - instantaneous. You could cast an Instantaneous Spell and Move and Attack (incidentally I don't recall any attack spells being inst., although there were rules for making any spell inst., like ESF and such).

I'd shift your chart down by one. Class I would be Delayed, Class II an Extra Phase + Delayed, and Class III call it 2 Extra Phases + Delayed at -1 1/4, although making it 1 Turn is probably fine, I think I'd hand wave and basically make it 3 Phases.

Why?

I prefer Sword & Sorcery feel and so I want Spells to act a little bit slower.

Also, by the Rolemaster rules,

• "Class I" spells movement is restricted to 10-25% (which I translated to be just a minor adjustment ~ to the d20 5' step) and

• "Instantaneous" are restricted to 50% movement (50% = 1/2 = 1/2 Phase of Movement).

Basically, "Class I" spells don't allow "real" movement (Full Phase), "Instantaneous" spells do allow partial movement.

The above is the general guideline ... but, I see what you mean, some "instantaneous" effects may be better off with No Extra Time (+0), or even the Trigger (+1/4) Advantage.