Which 4e books should I discard in favor of the newer versions?

00Machado

Okay, I'm trying to clear room on my bookshelf.

I have a number of older books that I think (but can't confirm because I haven't read them all the way through yet) would be superceded by newer versions.

I have Viper 4e and Viper 5e. Any reason to keep both? Equipment, art, better adventure ideas, one organization more interesting than the other?

I have Primus and Demon 4e, and Demon 5e. Also considering picking up the Primus PDF from the online store. Any reason to keep the original?

Mystic Masters and The Ultimate Super Mage. Any reason to hold onto the original Mystic Masters book? If it matters I also have the Mystic World, Arcane Adversaries, and the Ultimate Mystic.

Justice Not Law 4e and Hudson City 5e. I post the question here instead of under dark champions since I'll mostly use my dark champions books to run a Batman comic/animated series style game, and rarely if ever use the newer dc genre spin of modern action hero (although occasionally maybe espionage or cinematic spy stuff like James Bond or True Lies style). If I ever run a game in Hudson City, it will definitely be a Batman or Daredevil style game. I'd run anyting non-super hero in a real city.

Dark Champions 4e, and Dark Champions 5e, plus Dark Champions the Animated Series 5e. I suppose I should keep whichever version has the best Supers version of the card shark organization, since I'd like to use them in my Batman style game.

I also have An Eye for an Eye 4e. Any reason to hold onto that?

How about Ninja Hero 43 vs 5e, and The Ultimate Martial Artist 4evs 5e?

Thanks for the help.

Re: Which 4e books should I discard in favor of the newer versions?

I can't believe you'd even consider throwing out Justice Not Law or An Eye For An Eye!!! Yoiks! I'll never part with mine!

DC5E covers most of DC4E so probably no need for both, but there might be some useful things in there.

Most of the rest I'm not too sure, I think there are little things here and there from the old books that might be nice, but other than that... nope.

There are usually a few bits here and there that the old editions have that the new ones don't, but on balance there is usually only need for one book.

I have Viper 4e and Viper 5e. Any reason to keep both? Equipment' date=' art, better adventure ideas, one organization more interesting than the other?[/quote']

Viper 4th and 5th are both very comprehensive books, but the true identity of the Supreame Serpent changed between editions. (Alot). If you have 5th I doubt you need 4th.

I have Primus and Demon 4e' date=' and Demon 5e. Also considering picking up the Primus PDF from the online store. Any reason to keep the original?[/quote']

Demon 5th is vastly bigger, more detailed, and creepier. The PRIMUS PDF isn't 100% in line with the new Champs U but is much better than the old one. Between them there is no need for the old book.

And a new, 5th Edition PRIMUS book is supposedly coming out. But not for a year or two.

Mystic Masters and The Ultimate Super Mage. Any reason to hold onto the original Mystic Masters book? If it matters I also have the Mystic World' date=' Arcane Adversaries, and the Ultimate Mystic.[/quote']

Mystic Masters has alot of campaign info, but it has largely been superseeded by the Mystic World. If you have all the books you say you do I'm thinking you can ditch Mystic Masters and The Ultimate Super Mage.

Justice Not Law 4e and Hudson City 5e. I post the question here instead of under dark champions since I'll mostly use my dark champions books to run a Batman comic/animated series style game' date=' and rarely if ever use the newer dc genre spin of modern action hero (although occasionally maybe espionage or cinematic spy stuff like James Bond or True Lies style). If I ever run a game in Hudson City, it will definitely be a Batman or Daredevil style game. I'd run anyting non-super hero in a real city.[/quote']

What you really want is a combination of 5th Dark Champions, Hudson City, and Dark Champions: The Animated Series. Between them you ought to be good for your Batman game.

Cardshark is in Hudson City, and still as whacked as ever.

Still, Justice Not Law has enough cool bits that haven't yet been updated that I'd keep it.

It has lots of fun little bits all the way through that have not yet been updated. I'd keep it.

How about Ninja Hero 43 vs 5e' date=' and The Ultimate Martial Artist 4evs 5e?[/quote']

I'd go 5th all the way on these.

Of course I kept Ninja Hero 4 out of purely sentimental reasons. The 5th is great, but I love Aaron Alliston enough to keep the book.

Okay' date=' I'm trying to clear room on my bookshelf. I have a number of older books that I think (but can't confirm because I haven't read them all the way through yet) would be superceded by newer versions.[/quote']

First, box them and put them away. You never know?

I have Viper 4e and Viper 5e. Any reason to keep both? Equipment' date=' art, better adventure ideas, one organization more interesting than the other? [/quote']

Keep 4e for the Supervillains and Vehicles.

I have Primus and Demon 4e' date=' and Demon 5e. Also considering picking up the Primus PDF from the online store. Any reason to keep the original? [/quote']

I am looking foreward to PRIMUS 5e

Mystic Masters and The Ultimate Super Mage. Any reason to hold onto the original Mystic Masters book? If it matters I also have the Mystic World' date=' Arcane Adversaries, and the Ultimate Mystic. [/quote']

Mystic Masters is a great GM Resource sourcebook. THE USM can go into storage.

Justice Not Law 4e and Hudson City 5e. I post the question here instead of under dark champions since I'll mostly use my dark champions books to run a Batman comic/animated series style game' date=' and rarely if ever use the newer dc genre spin of modern action hero (although occasionally maybe espionage or cinematic spy stuff like James Bond or True Lies style). If I ever run a game in Hudson City, it will definitely be a Batman or Daredevil style game. I'd run anyting non-super hero in a real city. [/quote']

Put them in storage 5e is superior.

Dark Champions 4e' date=' and Dark Champions 5e, plus Dark Champions the Animated Series 5e. I suppose I should keep whichever version has the best Supers version of the card shark organization, since I'd like to use them in my Batman style game.[/quote']

Use DC 4e for the Card Shark Organization with DC:TAS.

Yes, the Organization RAVEN.

How about Ninja Hero 4e vs 5e' date=' and The Ultimate Martial Artist 4e vs 5e?[/quote']

It's a toss up. I like them both.

Thanks for the help.

Denada

QM

I wouldn't get rid of any of the 4E material. I myself have nearly every 4E book (along with various 1st, 2nd, & 3rd edition material) and wouldn't get rid of them for any of the 5E material. I have all the 4E DC material and have no desire to fork over my money for the 5E book, since 4E has so much source information for me, as well as plots, should I care to run a 5E DC game.

I'm also fortunate that my players are only familiar with 5E, so 4E is all 'new' to them. :)

Thanks for all the helpful feedback.

I think I will go with the archiving old books in the garage solution. Apparently there are too many useful tid bits in any given book to discard whole cloth.

While I was cleaning, I also came across the 4e Fantasy Hero, Fantasy Hero Companion 1, and Fantasy Hero Companion 2, and the spell book by Aaron Allston and Mike Nystul. Does anyone have thoughts on the value of keeping them vs. the 5e Fantasy Hero suite (Main book, Grimoires 1 & 2, and the Monster Book that I can't recall the name of at the moment)?

Also the 4e bestiary, and what I think (but it goes back to before my time with hero system so I'm not sure) is the 3e bestiary, vs the 5e version?

I figured I'd post here rather than the fantasy hero forum to avoid a new thread of dubious value.

Thanks again for any advice.

Guest Goradin

I have every thing ever printed for HERO . I love em all and you can always use the old stuff them for parallel universe stories.