Find weakness

Plex

I'm developing an NPC for my game that is the preemminent doctor for superpowered beings and looking for a way to define his surgical skill. I want him to be able to operate if needed on anyone and the only way I can think to do this is with the Find Weakness ability but add the limitiation that it can only be used with the surgical/medical skills. Since I don't have my book with me, I can't remember if this is legal and if it is, what the total limitation would be. The NPC not superpowered with anything other than this ability, though he does have a boat load of skills. Any help here would be appreciated, even if it adds super abilities. Thanks...

Re: Find weakness

I guess you could add RSR to Find Weakness, but it would probably be just easier to but it up to the same level as the skill and put a -1/4 lim on it that "Penalties to Medical roll counts as Lack of Weakness".

BUT remember that Find Weakness is a combat skill. It is intended to make it easier to HURT someone

What I think you really want is to just buy your medical skill roll up high, by some complimentary skills (Super Human Biology, Xenobiology, Biology, Zeno BOtany, etc...) Take Scientist...

Two points:

1. Unless the character has taken a limit (like "always on") or some sort of disadvantage, the normal medical skills will work fine.

2. IMO find weakness is very much the wrong way to go with this. Rather consider Transform, Dispel, and/or suppress.

1. Unless the character has taken a limit (like "always on") or some sort of disadvantage, the normal medical skills will work fine.

2. IMO find weakness is very much the wrong way to go with this. Rather consider Transform, Dispel, and/or suppress.

It's actually possible to buy defensive powers like armor and damage resistance as inherent. In that case normal medical skills and the various "draining" powers would not work to allow the character to operate on someone. A GM could also rule that someone who is unconscious cannot manually turn off his armor or damage resistance, making the need for a surgeon who can cut into him even more valuable.

Of course it all comes down to campaign style. I generally wouldn't make a player buy a power that they were only going to use once in a blue moon. I'd be just as likely to just wing it with skill rolls and role-playing.

I'm developing an NPC for my game that is the preemminent doctor for superpowered beings and looking for a way to define his surgical skill.

I would buy either Aid or Healing with limitations of "extra time" and "1/2 DCV concentration throughout" along with a RSR and maybe OAFs. If you still want Find Weakness, use it versus Power Defense.

It's actually possible to buy defensive powers like armor and damage resistance as inherent. In that case normal medical skills and the various "draining" powers would not work to allow the character to operate on someone..

Inherent typically comes with the 'always on' limit I mentioned. And I included Transform as a work around inherent up front as well.

Inherent typically comes with the 'always on' limit I mentioned.

Typically but not always.

And I included Transform as a work around inherent up front as well.

I don't care for transform in this example. The special effects are too broad as to why someone might have resistant defenses to be easily turned off by a single transform, IMO.

Typically but not always..

If it doesn't have the limit -> then it doesn't have any meaningful disadvantages as a result of inherent -> then it doesn't take special abilities to render medical aid.

You get what you paid for. The buyer in this case didn't get paid for the disadvantage you're forcing upon him.

I don't care for transform in this example. The special effects are too broad as to why someone might have resistant defenses to be easily turned off by a single transform, IMO.

Calling upon SPX in this case as an objection is rather odd; it would seem obvious that the whole intent is to override the victim's powers and SPX.

Thus Transform "target to target who can be medically aided" is a perfect solution.

if you want to go the find weakness route

1 extra time is free to get bonuses

only out of combat(0 dcv throught

extra time (raise the base time of find weakness to 1 turn)

prep time(need x-rays,sonograms,etc...

RSR super hero/villan knowledge

RSR alien/mutant physiology

penatration with AP to clear hardened on scapel(special made tools, hard to replace foci)

1 extra time is free to get bonuses

only out of combat(0 dcv throught

extra time (raise the base time of find weakness to 1 hour)

prep time(need x-rays,sonograms,etc...

RSR alien/mutant physiology

I like this set of limitations, but I'd attach 'em to an Aid/Heal power. Also, I'd probably include "gestures", as well. Then I'd give him a lab/clinic that boosts his skill rolls.