A new look at shields

Lemurion

Re: A new look at shields

In the 1st ed of Fantasy Hero shields had a strenght mimium, so that ment to me twenty years ago that it cost that endurance to use. My players Baulked and the compromise was miuimim of one and half str cost to use. (two weapons use cost double right?) In my game even through shields cost endurance to use active the fact that you could set it on top of your grieve (boot top or knee) and rest with a wall covering 14 thru 6 (medium) toward the bad guys was very handy.

From experince if you are using the shield it dose not add encumberance (tricky here).

so in my game they did not add weight for dex negatives. (now slung they did)

Shields cost end anyway - they add to your overall encumberance. Or do you mean charging a specific end cost on top of that?:confused:

I think he meant on top of that. Actually using a shield *is* tiring and your arms starts to ache something awful after a while. We've talked about doing it, but never actually tried it. I think the feeling was that it was simply one more thing to keep track of and we didn't need it. If you wnateda more swashbuckling game where you wanted big shields to be less attractive, then it's an idea to consider, though.

cheers, Mark

I find weilding a properly balanced (key word there) sheild to be less tiring than swinging a weapon. Center grip sheilds are harder on the lower arm and biceps, but with pratice arent that bad. I wouldnt want to weild the ancient greek sheilds tho. One thing no one mentions, is the majority of fighting manuals use the sheild as a bashing weapon. This may also be another reason for metal rim linings. Bucklers are especially used in this manner. To resolve the DCV/PD issue, I rebuilt the to hit tables. The ones in the book are for shooting someone, not trying to get around a sheild. But having 5 or 6 to hit tables is getting awfully close to "ChartMaster". :D

Krieghandt

I liked straight straps on a large bowl shield.

you could hold it like a diagonal kite or let the edge rest on your Knee (greave ) or the inside top edge rest on your shoulder top.

The romans with the large square shields held by the boss must have had get guns (arms)

The semi-cylindrical Roman shield with the single-handed grip was made of leather-covered plywood, so is not as heavy as you would think.

The later oval ones made out of leather-covered solid planking had both hand- and arm- grip (I wonder why? ;) ).

There were Late Roman shields with the more solid construction and single-handed 'punch' grip, but they were rather smaller (about the size of a Viking shield) - usually issued to big hulking German Auxilia - or bucklers (issued to some cavalry and infantry skirmishers/archers).

My favourites are the Ottoman Turkish 'siege shields' - about Viking shield size, but solid iron (oddly enough, they did NOT have a 'punch grip').