Who are the really great Homage characters of the Champons Universe and beyond?

humantorch101

Re: Who are the really great Homage characters of the Champons Universe and beyond?

Congratulations. :thumbup: You've nicely pin-pointed for me my sub-counscious problem with the Champions Universe. It's very "Marvel" in flavor' date=' but I'm an old DC fanboy. (I'd never really though about this before:think:).[/quote']

I have to agree. And even the "DC homages" feel more like Squadron Supreme homages (the Squadron being Marvel's "homages" to DC's heroes).

Re: Who are the really great Homage characters of the Champons Universe and beyond?

Perhaps CU homages to DC characters feel more like the Squadron Supreme because the SS is an homage too? ;)

Having read Book Of The Destroyer, I can state categorically that Vanguard is conceived as a very clear homage to Superman, although less of a doppleganger than Marvel's Hyperion. After what Steve Long did to him in that book, though, Darren Watts will have to come up with a really convincing story to bring him back. :(

While Meteor Man has a strong Green Lantern vibe (what with the ring and all), it's more Golden Age Green Lantern Alan Scott. The Star*Guard is unmistakably based on the Green Lantern Corps. The future Champions team from Galactic Champions is very much in the vein of the Legion of Super Heroes, albeit with a much smaller membership (at least initially).

Valak the World-Ravager reminds me a lot of Mongul -- similar attitude and appearance. His Cosmic Halberd is reminiscent of other alien axe-wielders like the Persuader and Terrax, but IMO that's of secondary importance to Valak's personality.

The various holders of the "Scarlet Archer" title, especially the second (Silver Age-y) one, can't be mistaken for other than a riff on Green Arrow. And I thought the Drifter's origin and power seemed like a cross between Dr. Fate and the Specter. In fact the whole Justice Squadron, in its history and makeup, comes across as inspired by DC's Justice League, unlike the Sentinels who have more of an Avengers style.

Speaking of crosses, the Witness strikes me as a Watcher/Phantom Stranger hybrid. Powers and style wise he's very much the Stranger, but restrictions on his actions (and his name) are more reminiscent of a Watcher.

IMHO, while many of these are clear homages, many more are just characters that happen to share the same set of archetypes, perhaps an homage to a specific archtype, but not necessarily a specific character. Or call them an analog of a specific character. Sometimes, a team is clearly an homage, but the specific members aren't really and are there to fill a tactical role. I guess it depends on the nuances of meaning one chooses to ascribe to the term "homage". I am meandering again (& maundering?), no surprise, but I like to pun, which means I like to parse sentences and words into fine shades of meaning, which in turn means I like to play with the potential interpretations of anything I hear or read. I'll stop now.

Let me think..

Midnight Maid = Ryu/Ken/Sakura/Seen/Dan Hibiki (basicly she is a "shoto-clone" al-la Street Fighter).

Kaily The Destroyer = Radiz from Dragon Ball Z.

Midnight Maid is supposed to be a homage to every single heroic fighting game character ever, but with an emphasis on the Street Fight franchise (which is why her style is listed as Shotokan Karate). Her alternate name (Pretty Soldier Waitress X) is an play on various "magical girl" character names.

Kayli the Destroy was meant to be an obvious pastiche of the Saiyajin in general, not just Raditz (because, IMO, you can't talk over-the-top anime martial arts and not give a nod to Dragonball Z.)