Who are the really great Homage characters of the Champons Universe and beyond?

humantorch101

I am restarting my Homage character thread soon and was asking for ideas on a Spider-Man homage.

But to stop myself reinventing the wheel and just as a fun discussion what are the great homages to DC/Marvel characters already published by Hero games and for games like Mutants and Masterminds with their Freedom City setting and the Algernon Files.

What do people think are the great homage characters? who are they based on? why do they work or why not? I will start the ball rolling with a pretty obvious one.

DOCTOR DESTROYER

rgds

Torch

Dr. Destroyer

Well this guy was always clearly based on Dr. Doom and was always a character I loved.

However in 5th edition the character has imo become bloated and over powerful for his role and in my conversion of him for my homage campaign I will be scaling back his offensive power considerably.

Things like DEX and SPD will be toned down to more normal levels and the primary and secondary weapons arrays will be reduced big time to more manageable levels.

His defense is fine, I always thought Dr. Doom much like Ulton was a more defensive sort of character.

The skill list and perks and bases are great and the character conception is fine I just want him back to his Doom like role of most dangerous mastermind not most dangerous super hero killer whose very use in a scenario is a major world event.

Would also tie him heavily to my camapigns Fantastic Four homages (whoever they end up being) as a given.

opinionsregarding DR. D or any other character homages?

rgds

Torch

Re: Who are the really great Homage characters of the Champons Universe and beyond?

While Dr. Destroyer was clearly a Dr. Doom homage early in earlier editions, I like to think that the 5th edition version works best as a DarkSeid homage. World-bending power, lots of super-minions, tosses around super-tech like it was nothing, master plans that extinguish thousands, and it takes several teams to beat him (unless you have Superman).

Personally, I tend to view homages more along the lines of what kind of plots do I use them for rather than what are their exact powers.

My personal favorites:

Firewing - Gladiator from the Imp Guard

Black Harlequin - The Joker (obviously)

Ogre - The Rhino (once again, not in detail but in how he is used)

Re: Who are the really great Homage characters of the Champons Universe and beyond?

Grond = Green Dumb Hulk

Archon = Ikaris

Mechanon = Ultron

Gravitar = Male Avenger enemy whose name I dunno remember, Graviton ??

Holocaust = Count Nefaria

Examiner = GrandMaster

Istvatha V'Han = Kang the Conqueror

Thunderbird = Punisher

Kings of Edom = Outer Gods from Chtulhu Mythos

Skarn the Shaper= Dormammu

Grond = Green Dumb Hulk

Archon = Ikaris

Mechanon = Ultron

Gravitar = Male Avenger enemy whose name I dunno remember, Graviton ??

Examiner = GrandMaster

Istvatha V'Han = Kang the Conqueror

Thunderbird = Punisher

Kings of Edom = Outer Gods from Chtulhu Mythos

Skarn the Shaper= Dormammu

Congratulations. :thumbup: You've nicely pin-pointed for me my sub-counscious problem with the Champions Universe. It's very "Marvel" in flavor, but I'm an old DC fanboy. (I'd never really though about this before:think:).

Congratulations. :thumbup: You've nicely pin-pointed for me my sub-counscious problem with the Champions Universe. It's very "Marvel" in flavor' date=' but I'm an old DC fanboy. (I'd never really though about this before:think:).[/quote']

Lest we forget:

Kinetik - Flash

Nighthawk - Batman

MeteorMan I, II, & III - Green Lantern I

Black Harlequinn - Joker

Deuce - Negative Man/Woman

Foxbat - Batmanish parody

Thorn - Poison Ivy

Viperia - Supergirl

Witness - Phantom Stranger

Robert Caliburn - John Constantine

Amphibian - Dolphin

Star*Guard - Green Lantern II

Congratulations. :thumbup: You've nicely pin-pointed for me my sub-counscious problem with the Champions Universe. It's very "Marvel" in flavor' date=' but I'm an old DC fanboy. (I'd never really though about this before:think:).[/quote']

Nahh, it's just that I am much more of a Marvel than a DC buff (too "four-color" in roots, I prefer the somewhat more ambigous Marvel heroes), so I am only natural to notice and remember the Marvel homages first and foremost.

*hits self on forehead* I really should have remembered of Viperia, she's one of my preferred CU supervillains, along with Gravitar, Holocaust, Firewing, Mechanon, and Teleios, and also of Star*Guard (shame for a "cosmic" buff like me) and Black Harlequin (Joker distilled). Shame on me. :(

I try my damnest best to ignore the existence of Nightchicken and Foxbrat In the CU. The former (along with all of the Champions, except maybe Witchcraft) is a joke that gets serious prime spotlight from writers' favouritism, the latter is a one-time funny joke that got stale long ago.

To be honest, I always saw Holocaust as more of a combination Magneto in personality homage (he wants mutants to rule the world, after all) and with the powers of Cyclops. So now he just needs to assemble a team of evil X-men knockoffs, so I can happily trash them. :)

And: Thunderbird = The Punisher

Diamond (who we see on the cover of Villainy Amok!, or so I believe) = The Thing

Captain Patriot = The severely anti-Commie version of Captain America

Goblin (one of the heroes killed by Doc D in Detroit) = Spider-Man, from the name

There are a lot of others, with most of them just names, who I can't think of right now. But I do think that most of the WW2 heroes & the Justice Squadron are based on DC heroes of the JSA (Brawler is Wildcat, Nightingale is Black Canary, etc...)

As a matter of fact, there is a bit of Magneto (specifically, in his Silver Age "full evil" incarnations, since for the anti-hero/noble villain moder version, you'd need to seriously rewrite the Pysch Lim of the characters) in Gravitar and Holocaust, too, so you are both right.

Or, to be perfectly right, the perfect incarnation of Magneto in the Cu isn't neither Graviter nor Holocaust, but thir child.

Let me think..

Minitman (robots) = Sentals.

Midnight Maid = Ryu/Ken/Sakura/Seen/Dan Hibiki (basicly she is a "shoto-clone" al-la Street Fighter).

Kaily The Destroyer = Radiz from Dragon Ball Z.

othoe not 5th edition (as of yet), Timemaster = Krang The Conquer.

I thought Krang the Conqueror was from the old TMNT cartoon? ;) I think you might mean Kang :D

As for a few others:

Sapphire - Dazzler

Defender - Iron Man

Witchcraft - Scarlet Witch

Iron Clad - Colossus/Thing

I don't follow Power > Homage very much either.

If they keep him in Champions of the North, Lord Dire struck me more as Dr. Doom in personality.

many have already been mentioned. I think I see Ironclad more as Martian Manhunter in personality than either The Thing or Colossus. He's an alien, an outside voice on the team. ...perhaps he's more Captain Marvel (Marvel) before the protector of the Universe stuff? An alien warrior who is stuck on earth and tries to aid his new "home" out of a sense of duty and honor?

Defender strikes me as having less baggage than Tony Stark.

There are a lot of "powerset homages" I guess...

Iron Clad - Colossus/Thing

Isn't Ironclad a homage to the man of steel (superman)? Superman's flight were initally really long jumps (like Ironclad). Both has fought in an alien arena. Both crash landed on earth. I guess you get the picture.

The Fabulous Five - The Fantastic Four

Amazing Man I - Mr. Fantastic

Diamond - Thing

Streak II - Human Torch

Siren - Invisible Girl

Amazing Man II - Franklin

Eldritch = Dr. Strange

Nighthawk = Batman

Megaera = Wonder Woman, version 1

Thalya = Wonder Woman, version 2

Raaktor = Wolverine, version 1

Scimitar = Wolverine, version 2

Chain Lightning = Cyclops

El Picardo = Nightcrawler

Straight Arrow = Green Arrow

Dr. Silverback = Beast

Eagle-Eye = Daredevil

Nightwind = Nightwing

Sai = Electra

Black Mask = The Phantom

Mr. X = Spirit

Robert Caliburn = John Constantine

Mighty Man = Wonder Man

Hyperion = Captain Britain

Wild Guesses

Arcane = Harry Potter

Taurus = Oxblood (from 7th Portal)

I thought Krang the Conqueror was from the old TMNT cartoon? ;) I think you might mean Kang :D

Wasen't Kang the guy who showed up for evey haloween epasold of the Simpsons? The slimy green alien with tenticals?

And wasen't he also named after Kang the Conqueror, the guy I was trying to spell?

Well, there's the Superman ana. . . no wait, we know nothing about him at all and he died 15 years ago.

I guess there's the Green Lantern analogue. . . no, wait, nevermind, both of them are built roughly on the scale of Spider-man.

That leaves the the Batman ana. . . *looks at Nighthawk* . . . HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

[spoil]OTOH. . . Iron Man. . . :)[/spoil]

I guess there's the Green Lantern analogue. . . no, wait, nevermind, both of them are built roughly on the scale of Spider-man.

Myself, now that I've got _Gadgets & Gear_, I'll probably rework Meteor Man III with a Multipower like that given for the Power Staff in the book. He is supposed to be one of the big-name heroes, after all, and it's not like there aren't ways to put him down for the count if an adventure ever involves him fighting alongside your PCs.

Let me think..

Minitman (robots) = Sentals.

Midnight Maid = Ryu/Ken/Sakura/Seen/Dan Hibiki (basicly she is a "shoto-clone" al-la Street Fighter).

Kaily The Destroyer = Radiz from Dragon Ball Z.

Ahh, never mind.

It's not like I'm qualified to post in this thread anyway. I guess I can let the Dan Hibiki thing slide......

Duke

Well, there's the Superman ana. . . no wait, we know nothing about him at all and he died 15 years ago.

That leaves the the Batman ana. . . *looks at Nighthawk* . . . HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

[spoil]OTOH. . . Iron Man. . . :)[/spoil]

Man, it's a year later and you're still harping about that? :)

Fear not, Rashindar and Iron Samurai are coming [of course no one under/less than 3,000 points will make you truly happy :)].

Myself' date=' now that I've got _Gadgets & Gear_, I'll probably rework Meteor Man III with a Multipower like that given for the Power Staff in the book. He is supposed to be one of the big-name heroes, after all, and it's not like there aren't ways to put him down for the count if an adventure ever involves him fighting alongside your PCs.[/quote']

I don't know that he is supposed to be a "big name hero" in the CU. He's just someone who was a member of the Sentinels for a period of time. He could have been a weak member of the Sentinels for all we know [think Wasp and the Avengers for most of her career]. Of course Diamond only appears to be bought on about 50 more points and he's still a member. Heck, MeteorMan's big thing could just be the fact that he flies 200 kilometers a second. :)

• 3 years later...