hooligan x

Captain Mysterion

Identity: Secret

Legal Status: Unknown / American citizen with no criminal record

Other Aliases: Ul-Torr the Avenger; Pharaoh Akheneton

Place of Birth: Possibly ancient Egypt or Babylonia / Boston, MA

Marital Status: Widower

Known Relatives: None

Group Affiliation: Former member of The Liberators; former reserve member of The New Liberators; currently reserve member of The New Challengers; current member of Team F-up

Base of Operations: New York City; mobile when necessary

History: Captain Mysterion is a mighty champion regarded by many as one of the world’s greatest heroes. His history is steeped in legend: it is said that he was born an immortal demigod in ancient Egypt or Babylonia and that he fought against evil with supernatural powers for many centuries as “Ul-Torr the Avenger,†also being identified as “Gilgamesh†in ancient Sumeria, “Herakles†in ancient Greece, and “Samson†in ancient Israel. But at some point during the decline of the ancient Egyptian civilization, he is said to have transferred his spiritual essence into the sacred Amulet of the All-Seeing Eye, there to await a time when the world would need his powers again. In the year 1940, while helping his archeologist father to excavate an Egyptian tomb, young Billy Benedict found the sacred amulet and, upon wearing it and saying the magic words “By the power of Osirus,†was mystically transformed into the superbeing who eventually became known to the modern world as Captain Mysterion. Although his father had been killed

in a cave-in at the site, the boy carried on and used his new powers to fight evil and injustice .

Known at first merely as “Mysterion†following his early appearances, he was given honorary military rank during the dark days of World War II and, as “Captain†Mysterion, he fought for freedom as a member of the super-soldier squadron known as “The Liberators,†which delivered a series of smashing defeats to the Nazi regime. That supergroup was disbanded shortly after the end of the war – but his new name would stay with him forever. And by this time, his muscular frame, glowing red eyes, silver-white hair, and dramatic costume of silver, blue, and gold had become known around the world as the attributes of a powerful champion for truth and justice.

Often appearing seemingly out of nowhere, the Captain battled evil and danger tirelessly: he captured murderers and bank robbers, stopped erupting volcanoes, held up collapsing bridges, rescued people in distress, thwarted the schemes of Dr. Litterateur and other mad scientists, fought fearsome monsters, invading armies, and supervillains such as The Beast-King, Mystiko, Nukulaar, and countless others, risked his life many times to save the world… and so on.

Captain Mysterion more or less continued his career throughout the 1950s and ‘60s, sometimes fighting alongside the prominent heroes of those eras – but he accepted only reserve status with “The New Liberators†and never joined them or any other modern team as a full-time member. Perhaps this reduced visibility accounts, in part, for the gradual change in his public image: by the ‘70s, he had come to be viewed by average citizens as a nostalgic relic of the past, and the cynical mentality of the ‘80s judged him “third-rate,†“anachronistic,†and even “laughable.†Little wonder, perhaps, that he was rarely seen in the company of “The Challengers†or any of their popular contemporaries.

William Benedict pursued a distinguished career in Archaeology, although he ultimately left the field to become a professional private investigator specializing in the occult.

Although the ‘90s saw something of an upswing in Captain Mysterion's activities, the early decades of the 21st Century treated him with casual indifference: he was dutifully enrolled under the Metahuman Registry Act in 2016, but afterwards was all but ignored. For years thereafter, he languished as a familiar but little-thought-of mainstay in the superheroic community – until, one day, someone finally checked to see…

…and he was simply no longer there

Benedict unexpectedly gave up becoming Captain Mysterion for unknown reasons, although he continued his own career as an occult investigator. More recently, circumstances have forced him to return to action in his superheroic identity – a duty and necessity he has reluctantly accepted.

Powers, Skills, and Weapons: By wearing the sacred Amulet of the All-Seeing Eye of Ra

and saying the magic words “By the power of Osirus,†the now-aged William Benedict can mystically transform himself into Captain Mysterion; by repeating those words, the Captain can reverse the transformation. Captain Mysterion possesses vast superhuman strength, great speed, and tremendous resistance to injury, as well as the ability to utilize the powers of various enchanted artifacts for such feats as flight, mental projection, near-invulnerability, and the hurling of solar energy-blasts. Captain Mysterion is said to be immortal and is well-versed in ancient history and mysticism; his alter ego William Benedict is an archeologist and private investigator whose aging process has been slowed by mystic forces and who possesses extensive knowledge of the occult and supernatural. In addition to becoming Captain Mysterion, Benedict can use the amulet’s power to perform certain other types of magical feats.

Limitations and Weaknesses: Captain Mysterion has glowing red eyes and silver-white hair, and follows a code of “warrior’s honor.†He is a reserved, dignified figure who often seems somewhat unfamiliar with many aspects of the modern world. His divine heritage makes him vulnerable to attacks made with “unholy†objects, and he is sworn never to fight on holy ground. He draws many of his mystical powers from various enchanted artifacts, the loss of which would remove those powers; if he loses the Amulet of the All-Seeing Eye of Ra, he reverts to his normal human form within seconds. While Captain Mysterion is a mighty immortal demigod, his alter ego William Benedict is an elderly but robust mortal who possesses no true superhuman abilities.

If Benedict remains Captain Mysterion for too long a period of time, the identity of “Ul-Torr the Avenger†can overwhelm his personality and render him unwilling to resume his mortal form.

If Benedict is without the sacred amulet for too long a period of time, his slowed aging process will begin to accelerate until he reaches his true age – or dies.

Re: The Official Handbook of the Team F-up Universe

From the secret files of Ezekiel Lao, Agent of Oracle…

Secretly recorded conversation with Dr. William Benedict, 29 October, 2053

“Perhaps I shouldn’t talk to you about this, Lao, but… it’s… it’s all been such a burden… and

if it weren’t for you, I might never… you see, Captain Mysterion is actually a composite entity:

a mystical combination of myself and an ancient warrior-spirit… I suppose it’s similar to the phenomenon known as ‘channeling,’ in which the spirits of the dead are said to temporarily possess the bodies of the living – although in my case, it involves a physical transformation

as well… both our minds then share control, you see, but if I remain transformed for too long,

I can… be overwhelmed by the other personality… and become unable to return to my own form… my enchanted amulet is the catalyst for the transformation, as you may have guessed…”

“Let me start at the beginning: the being which forms the ‘template’ for Captain Mysterion was originally born an immortal demigod in ancient Egypt or Babylonia; I’m – he’s – not sure which. The son of a mortal mother, he never knew precisely which deity was his father… but, due to his semi-divine heritage, he discovered as he grew up that he was endowed with incredible strength, near-immortality, and other superhuman abilities. Upon reaching manhood, he embarked upon

a long career battling monsters and other evils with his strength and fighting prowess, and became known far and wide as ‘Ul-Torr the Avenger.’

“As the decades passed and Ul-Torr’s exploits and reputation grew, he also became known by

other legendary names: ‘Gilgamesh’ in ancient Sumeria, ‘Herakles’ in ancient Greece, ‘Samson’ in ancient Israel, possibly ‘Beowulf’ in Northern Europe, and so on. In short, he was mankind’s primal heroic strongman and warrior-hero, protecting the innocent and crushing the forces of evil across the world, and his fame and power grew ever greater over the centuries… eventually, in the course of his adventuring, he came into possession of several enchanted artifacts empowered by the gods of ancient Egypt – the Armbands of Aton, the Belt of Horus, the Boots of Heru, the Amulet of the All-Seeing Eye of Ra, and so on – each of which gave him additional powers, besides teaching him much about magic and sorcery. And so, with his newfound might and the blessing of the gods, he helped to build Egypt into a majestic, enlightened civilization.

“At that point, Ul-Torr was probably the most powerful being on Earth; there was almost

nothing he couldn’t accomplish. But despite his superhuman nature, he nevertheless fell prey

to mankind’s oldest and most insidious temptation – hubris, overwhelming pride and arrogance. And so, in approximately 1379 B.C., he forcibly seized the throne of Egypt and ruled the kingdom with an iron hand as the Pharaoh Akhenaton, claiming to be a god – and even outlawed the worship of all deities besides himself. But even that was not enough: using the armies of Egypt and his own matchless powers, he resolved to bring the peace and enlightenment of civilization to the entire world – by subjugating all mankind!

“And he might have successfully done so, too, if the priests and sorcerers of Egypt hadn’t finally opposed him by calling upon the gods to empower a mighty spell that turned one of Ul-Torr’s mystical artifacts against him, imprisoning his spiritual essence inside the Amulet of Ra, seemingly for all eternity. They then sealed the amulet within a tomb, which was ultimately buried by the desert sands and forgotten. In time, the Egyptian civilization collapsed, others rose up in its place, and the centuries passed… while the tomb – and the amulet within – waited…

and waited… and waited…

“Finally, in the year 1940, my own father, who was an archeologist, excavated that long-lost tomb and found the sacred amulet… but in so doing, he inadvertently triggered an ancient booby-trap and perished when the tomb’s entrance caved in. It was I – then a mere child

who had accompanied his father – who held the amulet in that dark burial chamber and read the incantation you heard me recite earlier… thereby unintentionally invoking and summoning

the spirit of Ul-Torr back to this plane of existence, where, through the power of the amulet,

it possessed and mystically transformed me into the superbeing who eventually became known

to the modern world as… Captain Mysterion!

“Although I grieved for my father, I resolved to carry on and used my new powers as Captain Mysterion to fight evil and injustice for nearly a century, both alone and as a member of several super-teams. But I always managed to remain in full control of my powerful other self – until one day, twenty years ago, when I inadvertently remained in my superhuman form for too long

a period of time and my mind finally succumbed to Ul-Torr’s dominating influence.

Then, driven solely by Ul-Torr’s mentality and thirst for power, Captain Mysterion became

a world-threatening menace who might have conquered the Earth… except that… my…

[he pauses] …my wife… she… she finally… yanked the amulet off Mysterion’s chest…

but as she did so, his flailing arm accidentally struck her… [he pauses, his voice low] …the… the blow… was fatal. I was restored to my normal form at last, but… I couldn’t bring myself…

to use the power again after that. So I gave it up – to protect the world, and… [his voice lowers] …and as revenge: eternal imprisonment for the murder of my wife, even if it was an accident….

“I wanted to get rid of the amulet as well, but… its mystical energy had kept me – Benedict – young… now I was nearly 100 years old and dependent on the amulet to stay alive. So I kept it, and eventually learned new and different ways to use its power without becoming Mysterion…

“And so, in my role as an occult investigator, I continued to fight against supernatural evil as best I could, for more than twenty years… until that day, a few weeks ago, when my own life

and that of Lillith, whom I’d sworn to protect, depended on my invoking the power of Mysterion once again… and of course, he afterwards helped to fight off the Invasion from Hell, and so on… but now… now…” [his voice trails off to silence]

Lao: “Can anyone use the amulet to turn into Captain Mysterion?”

“I… uh… the truth is: I… don’t know; no one’s ever tried it before. But I’ll tell you this:

even if it could work, I wouldn’t advise anyone else to do it. You have no idea what an awesome, terrible burden the power of Captain Mysterion has been for me over the years, whether I used it or not… sharing my mind – my very soul – with a primeval, near-uncontrollable warrior-spirit; the unavoidable responsibility to act, or else suffer the awful guilt of not acting when I could have; the loss of my father… of my [he pauses] …my wife… and

I can’t even get rid of the cursed thing! I tell you, Lao, this amulet – this power – is like an albatross… bad enough the burden is mine to carry; I’d never wish it upon anyone else…

…why do you ask?”

Lillith

Legal Status: American citizen with no criminal record

Other Aliases: None

Place of Birth: Dorchester, MA

Marital Status: Married

Known Relatives: Angus McCrae (husband); Sophie Gagne (mother); Claude Gagne (father, deceased) Eve Gagne (sister, deceased)

Group Affiliation: current member of Team F-up

Base of Operations: New York City

History: Lillith's powers first manifested at age six, when she almost drowned in a boating accident in which her twin sister and father died. After the accident, Lillith was able to see and communicate with the dead. She found it easier to relate to these spirits than the classmates who labeled her "weird" and taunted her mercilessly. As she grew up, she developed close bonds to four ghosts who sought to help and protect her.. She also developed the ability to strike out with her mind when she became angry.

She studied the occult and parapsychology in an attempt to understand these powers. She graduated from Boston University with a degree in library science and began working for the Boston Public Library. She also began having magical symbols tattooed on her body. She is now covered from the neck down with this art.

Lillith's unique abilities came to the attention of Gerhardt Biv, grandson of billionaire industrialist Leroy Biv. He recruited Lillith and her teammates to rescue his grandfather., a failed mission that resulted in the elder Biv’s death.

The Finn, a robot mage and Earth’s sorcerer supreme covered up the team’s failure. She and her new friends uncovered a plot by Oracle director Donna Windham to divert funds and equipment to run illegal cover operations contrary to Oracle’s directives. Windham shot Lillith during an escape attempt. After recovering in Boston, she returned to New York to testify against Windham. On the train she met Angus McCrae, who told her he was a pilot looking for work in NYC. McCrae was actually a super-powered criminal who had been hired to help stop the state’s execution of convicted mass murderer Dr. Nemesis. McCrae decided against taking the job and Team F-up defeated Nemesis’ henchmen. The two started dating after he admitted his past record and have since married.

Recently, it was discovered that Gerhardt Biv was behind his grandfather’s death. Lillith and team were able to expose him and his plot to start a nuclear war.

Powers, Skills, and Weapons:. Lillith is able to see and speak with the dead. They are drawn to her and will manifest to stop attacks aimed at her. They also can tell her what occurred in an area if there was a ghost present at the time. She is able to use them to lift people and objects and to send messages.

She also has what she calls her brain Zap, a powerful mental attack that knocks opponents unconscious.

Limitations and Weaknesses: Lillith is still lacking in social skills and confidence. She is more at ease with the dead than relating to the living. She still is haunted by her childhood, often flying into violent rages when mocked or insulted. She also suffers panic attacks near large bodies of water.

Vincent Belmont, next to Last Vampire Hunter

Legal Status: American citizen with no criminal record

Place of Birth: Rye, NY

Marital Status: Single

Known Relatives: Anthony Belmont (brother0; Madelyn Belmont (cousin)

Group Affiliation: former member of Team F-up

Base of Operations: alternate dimension New York City

History: As long as the vampires have stalked the night, there has been a Belmont to hunt them. For centuries, the Belmonts have trained the firstborn son of each generation to fight the creatures of the night. They carefully chose marriages that would result in stronger and faster offspring. The battle spanned thousands of years.

Finally, Archibald Belmont tracked down the last of the foul breed. Cornering the creature in its castle, he fought it for many days. Mortally wounded, he brought fire and death to the last vampire with his dying breath. The world was free of this curse forever.

Vincent Belmont was born the following year.

Vincent was stronger and faster than any of his ancestors. He was trained as all firstborn sons were, to fight a war already won. After his parents died, he was left to raise his younger brother Tony alone. He found a job at a coffee shop to pay the bills and settled down to an ordinary life although he yearned for adventure. He found some solace in drugs and alcohol.

Team F-up offered him the opportunity to find that adventure. With them, he fought ninjas, slayed golems, even went to Hell to stop the demonic invasion of our world. When the team found themselves in an alternate dimension where vampires rule New York, he faced a vampire version of himself. After defeating the master vampire, he decided to stay in that world to carry on the battle he was born to wage.

Powers, Skills, and Weapons: Vincent possesses super-human strength and agility. He also has the Belmont whip, a metal chain weapon with magic powers. He is skilled in hand-to-hand fighting and well versed in vampiric lore.

Limitations and Weaknesses: While he is the pinnacle of physical perfection, centuries of inbreeding have left Vincent with a below average intelligence. He is very impetuous and is prone to make incredibly stupid mistakes.

This is great, H. Are you going to post up FINN and Biv?

CES

Not a chance...

The Finn

Legal Status: Pending Supreme Court decision Servo v. Cybermeld

Place of Manufacture: New York City

Known Relatives: Leroy Biv- creator (deceased)

Group Affiliation: Finn Foundation

Base of Operations: Finn Tower, 666 5th avenue, New York, New York

History: Leroy Biv built The Finn in 1991 during his time as the armored hero Onslaught. Biv took a shattered robot his team, the Challengers, had fought and rebuilt it. He had recently designed a computer brain he believed could develop into near-human intelligence. Finn was intended to serve as valet, receptionist, and security for the Challengers. In his first configuration, Biv even included a coffee maker. Finn was more intelligent than first expected and developed a great curiosity. He used any downtime to memorize books and discuss them with anyone who would listen.

In 1993, the Challengers uncovered a cache of occult books and scrolls in the ruins of a Greenwich Village apartment belonging to powerful mage and police detective Timothy McFadden. McFadden had been shot in an ambush and was in a coma. Biv decided to hold on to the materials for safekeeping. He instructed Finn to scan and memorize the entire library for later translation. Finn was intrigued by what little text he understood and was determined to translate the rest. After months of research, he had taught himself three dozen obscure and lost languages, including Atlantean. He became convinced that he could use the translated texts to cast a spell. He tried a simple glamour spell, changing his skeletal robotic form to appear like a human male in his twenties. The success of the spell proved to Finn that not only was he capable of mimicking human thought and behavior, but that he possessed a soul. He convinced Biv of this who gave him three years wages for services rendered to the Challengers and told him to follow his own path.

For decades, Finn wandered the Earth seeking lessons from the great mages to the world. Most rejected Finn as a clockwork oddity and either ignored or attacked him, however the Council of Aloinuae was fascinated. The council had been founded after the sinking of Atlantis to guard the world from mystical danger and consisted of five of the most powerful magicians of the era. It was decided that the council members would take Finn as an apprentice for a period of five years each. The council was amazed that after his studies, he surpassed them all in power. After Finn defeated the extra-dimensional sorcerer Lir Surach in a battle that cost three council members their lives, the turned to Finn to name the new members. In the years since, the council has acted in an advisory capacity to the Finn as he has sought to keep the world safe from mystical threats.

Powers, Skills, and Weapons The Finn is one of the most powerful mages in history, rivaling even the great sorcerers of Atlantis. He is able to cast spells that effect the entire planet. He is also the most advanced machine ever built, using a fusion of magic and technology. The Finn has re-designed his own body and operating system numerous times.

He is able to call on the vast resources of the Finn Foundation, a non-profit research group that employs hundreds of people.

Limitations and Weaknesses: As recently as 2053, the Finn was incapacitated by an advanced EMP device. It is assumed he has upgraded his electronic shielding since then.

Ezekiel Lao, Agent of Oracle

Legal Status: Naturalized American citizen with no criminal record

Other Aliases: Easy Lao

Place of Birth: Kaifeng (Henan province), China

Known Relatives: Lao Fa (cousin)

Group Affiliation: Oracle

History: Ezekiel Lao is a Jew born in Kaifeng, home to a Jewish population since the Song Dynasty. He was a gifted child, excelling in both mathematics and his religious studies. Although his parents had hoped he’d stay in Kaifeng, they were very proud when he started study in America at CalTech. Ezekiel also studied Kabalic magic in the US. He sought a way to combine this knowledge with mathematical formulae to better control its effect. While the school rejected his master’s thesis, it did catch the attention of a recruiter for Oracle, publicly a private think tank that sought to find the scientific basis for magic. While they did conduct research in this field, Oracle was also a covert agency charged with combating occult threats to national security. Lao quickly rose through the ranks in the agency, eventually becoming a field operative in NYC. He was assigned to Team F-up to keep track of their activities and capitalize on their contacts in the Finn Foundation. It was while working on the Komo-No-Sa case that Lao and Team F-up uncovered illegal activities by Donna Windham, Lao’s superior.

Lao was with Team F-up for most of their early adventures, although he never really fit in with the group. After returning from an alternate dimension in which Emperor Ezekiel Lao ruled with an iron fist, Lao left Team F-up to focus on rebuilding Oracle. He is now Director of the NorthEast office.

Powers, Skills, and Weapons Lao’s innovative blending of Kabalic magic and theoretical mathematics allows him to cast impressive spells that can turn him invisible, stun enemies, and protect himself from attacks. He also has Oracle’s high-tech equipment available to him. He frequently uses an Oracle aircar for transportation and carries a BivTech MG-156 magnetic rail gun.

Limitations and Weaknesses: Lao’s only “limitations” are his religious restrictions and his strong devotion to the agency.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Mad Angus McCrae

Legal Status: Citizen of Arcadia, Legal Resident of US, criminal record

Other Aliases: Mad Angus, Prince Angus the Fair

Place of Birth: Twilight Castle, Arcadia

Marital Status: Married

Known Relatives: Lillith McCrae (wife), Queen Maeve of the Unseelie Court (mother), Moiré (cousin), Fergal (brother)

Group Affiliation: Former member of the Bastard Squad

History: Angus the fair is the eldest son of Queen Maeve of the Unseelie Court. As Maeve’s heir, he was trained in warfare (which he excelled at) and magic (which he didn’t). He was expected to learn how to rule the various nations of the Unseelie Court, marry his cousin Moiré, and take the throne when Maeve stepped down.

This didn’t appeal to Angus. He enjoyed fighting but found magic tedious and the endless squabbling of politics maddening. Most distressing, he hated Moiré. Her disdain for the lesser fae and mortals, her bloodlust, and her cruel tricks sickened him. The day before their wedding, Angus left Arcadia through one of the old hill gates. He lived as a labourer in Scotland, moving every few years to avoid questions about his youthful appearance.

Over the centuries, stories circulated in the Highlands of a man of amazing strength who fought with glee and ferocity in battles against the Danes and later, the English. “Mad†Angus McCrae fought at Luncarty in 973, at Stirling in 1297, At Inveruire in 1308, and dozens of other battles.

Time turned and Angus tired of war. In the 20th century, he found adversaries worth fighting. These new “Superheroes†could take his hardest punches and come back for more. He didn’t want to hurt anyone, but loved the thrill of the fight. Finding great appeal in the life of a rogue, he became a hired brawler for master criminals. He was finally captured by Hammer Sullivan in 1938. He remained in jail until 1942 when a team of supers was required for the war effort. A pardon was offered to any imprisoned supers who would fight the Nazis. This secret strike force was not trusted by the regular forces and was nicknamed the Bastard Squad.

After the war, the Bastard Squad was utilized by the British government for covert missions abroad while the public believed them to be mere supervillains. By the close of the 20th century, Angus was the only original member of the team. Newer recruits were more vicious than the old squad and Angus felt the squad was no longer the place for him. He spent the greater part of 50 years living quietly off his government pension until it was decided the taxpayers couldn’t afford to pay a lifetime pension to an immortal being, and he was cut off.

McCrae moved to the US in 2050 to seek work. He soon fell in with a group of metahuman mercenaries in the pay of Dr Nihlus’ son. A plan to break out the supervillain was formed but at the last minute, Angus pulled out, fearing Dr Nihlus would pick up his campaign of murder after he escaped. He has since been a high profile bodyguard for trendy celebs.

Powers, Skills, and Weapons Angus is immortal and has supernatural healing powers. His great strength is exceptional even amongst the Fae. Angus no longer uses weapons but is skilled in the use of swords and lances.

Limitations and Weaknesses: Like most Fae, Angus is deadly allergic to iron. He must use leather gloves to safely touch any iron or steel. He is hunted by his jilted cousin Moiré who seeks to bring him back to the Twilight Castle and force him into marriage.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

G for Gerhardt. Roy was a PC in my 1990's BBB campaign. Biv became an NPC when I ran the 2012 campaign. This campaign was set in 2053 and has been rebooted as the New Challengers.

I have never gotten a satisfactory explanation why Mark chose such a colorful name for his secret ID, buy I have been stuck with it for 15 years.