Brass knuckles and high strength characters

Greg

Re: Brass knuckles and high strength characters

Wow, well it's good that I'm not the only person to run up against this. To answer some questions:

If he is human sized' date=' can I just note how impressed I am that you got him to 30 strength . Even then I'm sure he's pretty big and, for a hefty fee, you'll probably find a cunning artificer who can make a set of bknucks that do more than standard damage.[/quote']

Yeah, we're saying he's about 7-8ft tall (he's hunched and hulking so you'd have to get him to stand up straight to know). He's basically a one-trick pony he has piles of strength, berserker rage and arm sweep (from Ultimate Brick), but he's am odd mix of a gentle giant and demonically influenced half-breed.

And from 30 on' date=' you're so strong, what do you need a pair of knuckles for? Those are for sissy men![/quote']

I'd have to ask the player, but I think the only thing better than 6d6N is more. More seriously, he just said "hey, can I pick up some brass knuckles or something so I can do a little more damage sometimes?" His character doesn't even wear them all the time! It shames my munchkiny heart.

This means that if the big brawler picks up a chair or a pool cue and hits someone' date=' odds are he'll smash it in a blow or two, but until then it gives him +1 DC. Brass knucks are solid enough that he can't break them and they add 1 DC.[/quote']

Brass Knuckles really seem more like a HA because it isn't a weapon in an of itself. I generally do +1d6 HA for impromptu weapons' date=' +2d6 HA for 2H impromptu or really hard 1H weapons (like brass knuckles).[/quote']

Between the two of you that almost sounds official! I think that's what I'm going to do as a general rule of thumb and to handle this in-game for the short run...

One thing you might allow, if you are going to make a for instance 20str min 5d6normal set of massive, reinforced gauntlets is to allow him to either take a little armor, hands and forearms only, or perhaps treat them as a buckler, giving +1 dcv.

Because I thought this exact same thing on a 2 hour car ride home yesterday and I love the idea for this character. (I'm using the former, but would allow him to block/parry with them.)

At what point on the STR scale 9we're probably getting into the superheroic level) would augemntation of damange by something like brass knuckles seek to make and substantial difference? If the Thing were to punch you in the face full froce, would it matter if he were wearing brass knuckles?

System-wise, at what poiint does an extra die of damage really cease to make any practical difference? On the heroic scale, a 4d6 normal attack from punches, plus whatever bonus you get from a martial amnuver, ought to be sufficiently damaging for most human opponents to want to give you a wide berth.

At what point on the STR scale 9we're probably getting into the superheroic level) would augemntation of damange by something like brass knuckles seek to make and substantial difference? If the Thing were to punch you in the face full froce, would it matter if he were wearing brass knuckles?

System-wise, at what poiint does an extra die of damage really cease to make any practical difference? On the heroic scale, a 4d6 normal attack from punches, plus whatever bonus you get from a martial amnuver, ought to be sufficiently damaging for most human opponents to want to give you a wide berth.

In the game where I played the 30 str character, he had a moderate martial arts package, and could generate iirc 8d6 with a punch. It was an odd fantasy game, so he was usually using weapons. It wasn't as unbalanced as it might seem, he had a roughly middle of the road OCV for the party, and one of the other characters was a "samurai" type who could hit even harder than I did, had higher ocv, martial dodge, etc... At the beginning, he had a higher Speed too. And a magic sword, AP iirc.