Focused Megascale Teleport

Osprey

I'm trying to place some "Ancient Portals" around my Fantasy World.

They are Immobile Foci that allow those who already Teleport to Move (Via Megascale) to any other "Ancient Portal" on my world.

Would anyone care to help a busy Father with the Write Up?

I'm not sure if this should be a naked Advantage, for starters.

Even Derisive replies are appreciated.

1" Teleportation, MegaScale: +11/4 (planet), 0 END: +1/2 Can Only Teleport To Fixed Locations: -1, OAF Immobile: -2, Must Have Teleportation Power: -1 (5 AP, 1 RP) plus 10 Fixed Locations, OAF-Immobile: -2 (10 AP, 3 RP). Total Cost: 4 points.

This power allows you to teleport to any one of 10 fixed locations somewhere on the planet. I used a -1 for Must Have Teleportation Power, but that value would depend on how common that power is within your game. If you need more locations, then just increase them as need be.

I wouldn't even bother with the Naked Advantage. Just buy Teleport, MegaScale, with Fixed Locations, Immobile Focus, and a Limited Power Limitation that only characters who have Teleportation powers of their own can use it. I'd make it as a Multipower, so you can scale between nearby portals and portals on the other side of the planet. For example, this would give you 10 "Ancient Portals" on a world up to four times the size of Earth:

Cost Power END
11 Ancient Portals: Multipower, 40-point reserve, all slots: IIF Immobile (-1 1/4), Can Only Teleport To Fixed Locations (-1), User Must Have Teleportation Ability (-1/2)
1u 1) Nearby Portals (within a city): Teleportation 10", Megascale (1" = 1 km; +1/4) 2
1u 2) Short Distance Portals (within a barony): Teleportation 10", Megascale (1" = 10 km; +1/2) 3
1u 3) Medium Distance Portals (within a kingdom): Teleportation 10", Megascale (1" = 100 km; +3/4) 3
1u 4) Long Distance Portals (within an empire or continent): Teleportation 10", Megascale (1" = 1000 km; +1) 4
1u 5) Extreme Distance Portals (planetary; actual Earth diameter is 12,753 km): Teleportation 5", Megascale (1" = 10000 km; +1 1/4) 2
8 Portal Sites: Teleportation: Fixed Location (10 Locations); IIF (-1/4)

Note that the Fixed Locations get the Focus Limitation (assuming there's some way to remove or deactivate these portals), but they don't get the Immobile modifier, because being immobile is part of the nature of Fixed Locations anyway. :)

Originally posted by Monolith

1" Teleportation, MegaScale: +11/4 (planet)

This wouldn't allow portals only a few miles apart, though...

OAF Immobile: -2

How do you figure they'd be Accessible? They don't sound like something that could be easily taken away or neutralized in combat. ;)

Must Have Teleportation Power: -1
I gave this -1/2 based on the logic that it was similar to being Linked to Teleport.

10 Fixed Locations, OAF-Immobile: -2
According to the FAQ, Limitations on Fixed Locations can only be applied if they actually hinder them in some way. I don't think you could apply the Immobile modifier, because Fixed Locations are already immobile by their nature. :)

Originally posted by Derek Hiemforth

This wouldn't allow portals only a few miles apart, though...

I am not sure about that, but easily fixed by adding the scalable advantage for +1/4 more.

How do you figure they'd be Accessible? They don't sound like something that could be easily taken away or neutralized in combat. ;)

I would assume that these portals are non-combat items. Depending on the SFX it could be as easy as hitting one of the runes with a weapon to disrupt it and break the magic. would need to know more about the portals.

I gave this -1/2 based on the logic that it was similar to being Linked to Teleport.

Could work. I would just assume that Teleportation is rare. If I were building the power for my game I would just give the power a RSR (magic) and forget entirely about Teleportation angle.

According to the FAQ, Limitations on Fixed Locations can only be applied if they actually hinder them in some way. I don't think you could apply the Immobile modifier, because Fixed Locations are already immobile by their nature. :)

That is probably true. I would drop the Immobile, unless I saw something in a future book that disputed it. :)

Maybe I cheat, but when I GM I don't worry about writeups for these kind of things. As an exercise, writing this up might hone skills with Hero - otherwise, I wouldn't bother. It just works.

In the same vein, I wouldn't let a writeup of a feature like this dictate the fine details of what it can do. I wouldn't want a trivial mistake to affect the game. For example, if it's an ancient powerful artifact and a PC shows up with "1d6 Drain Teleportation" - and I forgot to add Power Defense, I'd hate to be trapped into declaring the portal shuts down (when it wasn't supposed to!).

But hey, I just had a weird thought! If you HAD to write up everything in the game-universe, ...

How would you write up a river?

Thanks for some REALLY great ideas, guys.

I am the GM.

I was considering "winging it" without the write up since these are plot devices that I don't expect to have used in combat. But just tossing the game effects around helps me plan even that stuff.

I am allowing them to be shut down, with a simple spell or physical disruption. (Think Star Trek:TOS Transporter).

I'm thinking of placing 3 or 4 per continent, or 1 per kingdom (whichever is greater).

While the ancients that made them are still mysterious, the portals still see use. (I'm basing this world roughly on Aaron Allston's "Ean"{The Blood 'Home' World}, so nearly all royalty can 'Port).

I forgot to mention: I'd like a "Gate" advantage too.

I'd like the King to go up, activate the portal, and walk his entourage of diplomats through.

A River? TK, AOE, only for moving objects in one direction, reduced by range (TK is strongest in the 'main flow' of the river). 0END PER UNC. Change Enviornment, as above, to get the color and cloudyness. NND 1d6 Can Do Body after Stun Exhausted (+1/2) 0END PER etc.. Defense is being able to breath underwater. Minutia Mavens might also go for the Cosmetic Transform (Thing into Wet Version of Same Thing).. a Body Drain vs Metal and Wood objects (with a HUGE 'effects over time' limitation)... lets see, what else..

Are we buying the Fish? Summon Fish, no worries. Hmm...

Side note.. the Mississippi probably costs more than the JLA. Argueably, this is as it should be.

Great writeup for a river! I suppose the TK is strong enough to cut channels through mountains over time? Sure it is! And the TK can carry super heavy stuff like barges loaded with coal. I suppose we could add a Flash, Only When Reflecting Sunlight (-2), Suppress Fire FX, All At The Same Time, and Mind Control, "Come Relax On My Banks", ...

Good job, Marcus! You captured the essence of a river with only three (or so) powers. I'm impressed - I just threw that out there thinking it'd be a royal mess of powers and limitations, but you proved me [mostly] wrong. Congrats!

I suppose you... could.... ~chuckles~ and probably should, if we were pointing it all out.

Heck, in one of my games im looking at playing the Son of Superman... Kar-El (aka Carl Kent)... and was knocking around buying a couple of cosmetic transforms (Normal People into people who say things like 'Look, up in the sky') Extra Presence, only usable with Persuasion, only for noble purposes (No! You dont understand! These people should be your friends!) and some extra strength and defenses that cost endurance merely for being ~on~, requiring Incantations to activate (Alright, thats ENOUGH!) Perhaps only usable at half or less stun, and/or when the party is getting its tail kicked.

Is it Geoff who has the 'Dont worry too much about buying powers the Exact Right Way' FREd sigline... its terrifyingly true..