Critique My Metamorph

Amoeba Man

I'm looking to start playing in an established game soon and I would like some feedback on the character I've made. Although I used the Until superpowers database and the Champions source books for the power builds I'm uncertain about the overall quality of the character, as this is the first Hero game I'll be playing. I'm still working on the background, but essentially he's a shapeshifter that was grown in a lab using the genetic material of an unknown meta-human. He escaped and has been living on the streets of New York since.

Player: 

Val	Char	Cost
15	STR	5
25	DEX	45
20	CON	20
15	BODY	10
16	INT	6
14	EGO	8
13	PRE	3
16	COM	3

7/10	PD	4
7/10	ED	3
5	SPD	15
9	REC	4
40	END	0
33	STUN	0

6"	RUN	0
2"	SWIM	0
3"	LEAP	0
Characteristics Cost: 126

Cost	Power
45	Malleable Body: Stretching 6", Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (45 Active Points)
30	Rubbery Body: Physical Damage Reduction, Resistant, 50%
15	Rubbery Body: Energy Damage Reduction, Resistant, 25%
20	Reflexive Dodge: Missile Deflection (Any Ranged Attack)
5	Compound Mind: Mental Defense (8 points total)
4	Pseudopods: Extra Limb (1) (5 Active Points); Costs Endurance (Only Costs END to Activate; -1/4) [Notes: however many he wants]
45	Stretching Powers: Multipower, 45-point reserve
3u	1)  Spiky Body: Killing Attack - Ranged 1d6, Damage Shield (+1/2), Continuous (+1) (37 Active Points); No Knockback (-1/4)
2u	2)  Squeezing Through Cracks: Desolidification  (40 Active Points); Cannot Pass Through Solid Objects (-1/2), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4)
2u	3)  Natural Weaponry: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 1d6+1 (2d6+1 w/STR), Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (25 Active Points)
1u	4)  Big Fist: Hand-To-Hand Attack +3d6, Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (19 Active Points); Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2)
4u	5)  Shapeshifting: Shape Shift  (Sight, Radio and Touch Groups, any shape) (36 Active Points)
2u	6)  Body Barrier: Force Wall (8 PD/6 ED) (Opaque Sight Group) (45 Active Points); Feedback (-1), No Range (-1/2)
2u	7)  Wraparound: Entangle 4d6, 4 DEF (40 Active Points); No Range (-1/2), Cannot Form Barriers (-1/4)
Powers Cost: 180

Cost	Skill
3	Disguise 12-
3	Streetwise 12-
3	Breakfall 14-
3	Concealment 12-
3	KS: History 12-
3	Mimicry 12-
5	Power: Stretching Stunts 12-
2	CK: New York 11-
5	+1 with HTH Combat
3	Contortionist 14-
Skills Cost: 33

Cost	Perk
1	False Identity
Perks Cost: 1

Cost	Talent
6	Combat Luck (3 PD/3 ED)
4	Double Jointed
Talents Cost: 10

Total Character Cost: 350

Pts.	Disadvantage
10	Distinctive Features:  Detects as Mutant Not Concealable, Always Noticed, Detectable Only By Unusual Senses
15	Dependent NPC:  Joshua Weller (homeless friend) 11- (Normal)
10	Physical Limitation:  Requires Specialized Medical Attention (Infrequently, Greatly Impairing)
15	Physical Limitation:  No Sense of Smell (All the Time, Slightly Impairing)
20	Hunted:  VIPER 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, Capture)
10	Hunted:  Kane Biotech 8- (As Pow, Capture)
5	Money:  Poor
20	Psychological Limitation:  Code vs killing (Common, Total)
20	Psychological Limitation:  Needs to Prove Self (Very Common, Strong)
15	Social Limitation:  (Frequently, Major)
10	Social Limitation:  Bookworm (Frequently, Minor)
Disadvantage Points: 150
Base Points: 200
Experience Required: 0
Total Experience Available: 0
Experience Unspent: 0

Let me know what you think.

Re: Critique My Metamorph

I think he looks okay. I actually like the fact you used the USDB. But why the continuous on the damage shield? And why a damage shield That one gets me. If he's supposed to be a shapeshifter, he might not have all that opportunity to have a spikey body.

Even though it'd only be a few points, I'd put the even ones into REC and the odd one into STUN. But that's me.

I do like the 25 DEX as well. Too many constructs are given the 'point breaking' stat, such as 13's or 18's, or DEX's & EGO's going for the 'rounding up' part, but with a 25 DEX, you're not doing that; you're spending an extra couple/three points to go when most people won't.

Overall, looks very good.

I like! Possibly weak attack powers; I see 8d6 HA using Stretching, STR and Big Fist. That might not be enough to be effective. Your GM will know.

You have a SPD 5 and movement of 6" - will that get you where you need to be? Make sure you won't be lagging behind everyone else!

You WILL be CON stunned by a 12d6 energy attack (avg 42 STUN). Is 12 DC your game standard?

You will also take BODY damage regularly, but you don't have any Regeneration. Got a teammate that can heal? A base with medical facilities? BODY takes forever to heal normally. You'll die - either in game, or from boredom as you wait months in the hospital.

Very, VERY good for a first character. Just some tweaking suggestions.

You probably want ‘Feedback’ on the Entangle. Actually, it might be worth adding five more points to the multipower to kick it up to 5d6, as I’m assuming that you intended that as his main attack power. Otherwise, damage might be a bit low.

You also might want to switch the Force Wall to 7 pd/7 ed, to match the defenses of the character.

I’d give him another 3†leap, so he could do the ‘stretch and flow across’ bit. Maybe Clinging as well.

Instead of the Missile Deflection, you might want to take 3 or 4 Defensive Skill levels, maybe with Costs End. (Missile Deflection as it’s own action, like a Block that can effect ranged attacks, so it’s not as ‘reflexive’ as you might want it to be)

I’d either increase the energy Damage Reduction to 50%, or buy another 8 points of ED.

You probably want to buy regeneration-style healing, maybe with ‘not vs. some types of damage.’ That would mean you’d have to replace ‘the Specialized Medical Attention’ limitation with something else, though.

I’m afraid that ‘No Sense Of Smell’ isn’t an ‘All The Time’ disadvantage. It may technically be in effect all the time, but it’s only limiting occasionally, if that.

If he breathes through his skin, a 'Can't Hold His Breath' phys lim would be appropriate.

---

"Honey = Hummingbird"

I'd agree with the other posters about character being a little underpowered offensively and defenses being a little low, although they might be okay for the campaign. A couple of practical suggestions:

1. Put the Stretching and Damage Reduction in an EC if the GM allows and add Non-Persistent and/or Costs END to Activate to the Damage Reduction powers. This will save a few points and you can add some Armour through the EC with the same limitations. This opens up its own problems. It ties all those powers together so a Drain/Suppress on one will effect the others and it presumes the Rubbery Body is not permanent, but an effect the character must establish. That is, turns off if Stunned or Unconscious. If you and the GM are happy with that then go for it.

2. Change Wraparound from an Entangle with limitations to Extra STR that can only be used for Grabs and Escapes (maybe squeeze too). I have always thought the USPD use of Entangle for a power that envolves the wrapping around of the attackers own body as inelegant. When you think about it, it is just a Grab. The elastic/rubbery powers give extra STR to the grab and that is your power. The Extra Limb powers means you can use your stretched body for the grab instead of arms.

This should give your character a little more offensive power if the Extra STR can be used to squeeze too for additional damage.

Just a quick “Seconded!†to “I don’t really like using Entangle to represent grabbing someone.†But then, I have issues around the way Entangle, Force Wall, and Grab overlap.

Strength bought with Only to Grab, Escape, and Crush (-1/2) and No Figured Characteristics (-1/2) is dirt cheap. You could probably fit it outside the mulitpower, which would let you grab, hold, and damage shield, which currently, you can’t do. It would also let you grab foci and plot devices from the bad guys, which is good.

You’ll want to get some skill levels with Grab if you go that route, though. Grab only affects two limbs, so you’d have to sweep to get four.

---

“I have stretching powers!â€

I like putting some powers in an EC, but check with your GM (it probably won't be a problem). If you find a way of saving 11 points, I suggest putting six points into "Combat Luck," this will give you 3pts of hardened, resistant defenses in PD & ED. Then use the other 5 for "Rapid Healing" which is similar to Regeneration, except that you get back 1 BODY for every Hour of Rest (which makes sense for a metamorph).

It might not be a bad idea to up your DRed on ED if you keep the Damage Shield; your opponents will starting hitting you with ranged attacks.

Still, for a first character: :thumbup:

Thanks to all of you for the feedback. I really appreciate the help with this character and there are a lot of good points being made. I'll Check with the GM about adding the Stretching and Damage Reduction powers into an EC. I'm not sure what the DC is standard for the game. Honestly, I didn't give that much thought. It does seem that he'd be a little weak offensively and vulnerable defensively. He currently does have Combat Luck, and I'm probably dropping the Damage Shield from the MP and adding Armor. Maybe something like this:

Armor (10 PD/10 ED) (30 Active Points); Costs Endurance (Only Costs END to Activate; -1/4)

Also, I like the idea of change the Reflexive Dodge to CLS. I actually like a lot of the suggestions. I just don't know where I'm getting the points for them is all.:)

Dang, we've got people who love to squeeze out points! No prob there. Post your character, describe what you want, and tell us you don't mind us hackin' him up reeel gud. Basically, ask for that last part & we're ready to go.

USPD is a great resource, but when constrained by a point limit, you can't beat old-fashioned creative tweaking.

Here's a metamorph from a game we're running. It's a little weird - the Disadvantages mostly only work in that setting and the GM let us subtract a point from the cost of upgrading Everyman skills. Still, you might get some ideas.

Using his STR and Stretching, he can do 12d6 damage. He also has a 4d6K attack. A big difference from yours is this one is a brick, with superhuman strength.

Character Name: Chrome

CHARACTERISTICS

Val Char

50 STR

17 DEX

27 CON

23 BODY

13 INT

18 EGO

25 PRE

12 COM

12 PD

8 ED

4 SPD

15 REC

54 END

62 STUN

6" Running

2" Swimming

10" Leaping

POWERS

30 Shapeshift (Sight Group; Variety of Shapes: Any Shape), Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (45 Active Points); Limited Power (Always appears chrome; -1/2)

17 Stretching 6" (30 Active Points); Linked to Shapeshift (-1/2), No Noncombat Stretching (-1/4) 3 END

30 Armor (13 PD / 7 ED) (added to Primary Value)

5 Luck 1d6

2 Regeneration 1 BODY, Persistent (+1/2) (15 Active Points); Increased Endurance Cost (9x END; -3 1/2), Concentration, Must Concentrate throughout use of Constant Power (0 DCV; -1 1/4), Character is totally unaware of nearby events (-1/4), Extra Time (Regeneration-Only) (1 Turn (Post-Segment 12); -1 1/4), Self Only (-1/2), Linked to Shapeshift (-1/2)

Notes: By becoming molten and insensate, Chrome can repair damage. It takes all his energy to repair himself. 9 END

26 Shapeshifter Tricks: Multipower, 45-point reserve, all slots: (45 Active Points); Limited Power (Linked to Shapeshift; -1/2), Only In Heroic Identity (-1/4)

3u 1) Running +18", Reduced Endurance (Half END; +1/4) (45 Active Points); Limited Power (Half speed uphill; -1/4) (added to Primary Value)

Notes: Chrome can flow over the ground - half wave, half serpent. 2 END

3u 2) Tunneling 1" through 11 DEF material (Fill In Hole) (45 Active Points)

Notes: Chrome can form his hands into tunneling and excavating tools. He can rapidly dig through anything less tough than his metallic body! The debris from his digging fills his tunneling, and must be cleared away in order for anyone else to use his tunnels. Clearing away the debris slows Chrome down, as he must force the stuff back to the entrance for each 10' tunneled. 4 END

1u 3) Clinging (normal STR) (10 Active Points)

Notes: Chrome can flatten himself where he makes contact with surfaces. He sinks in to tiny pores, granting him the power to cling to almost anything.

1u 4) Armor (0 PD / 20 ED), Hardened (x2; +1/2) (45 Active Points); Limited Power (Cannot move while shielded; -1 1/2), Increased Endurance Cost (2x END; -1/2), Costs Endurance (Only Costs END to Activate; -1/4) (not added to totals)

Notes: By creating a highly reflective outer layer, Chrome can reflect energy like the heat from an intense forest fire or high power laser. This thin layer isn't flexible, so Chrome cannot move while doing this! 8 END

1u 5) Desolidification (40 Active Points); Does Not Protect Against Damage (-1), Cannot Pass Through Solid Objects (-1/2)

Notes: Chrome can ooze through small openings. 4 END

2u 6) Entangle 4d6, 4 DEF (Stops A Given Sense: Normal Sight) (45 Active Points); No Range (-1/2), Limited Power (Must follow Grab; -1/2)

Notes: After grabbing an opponent, Chrome can leave behind a piece of himself in the form of solid hand / leg cuffs or other metallic restraint. 4 END

2u 7) Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 1d6 +1 (plus STR) (vs. PD), Penetrating (x2; +1) (40 Active Points)

Notes: Drills or buzzsaws whirling at the end of his arms, Chrome can eventually cut through anything! 4 END

SKILLS

Cost Name

2 Acting (Everyman skill) 14-

3 Disguise 12-

3 Mimicry 12-

3 Oratory 14-

5 Cramming

3 KS: Cirean plays (INT-based) 12-

2 PS: Actor 11-

2 PS: Seamstress 11-

0 PS: Cooking (Everyman skill) 11-

9 +3 Punch, Grab, Disarm

10 +1 Overall

6 +4 vs. sweep

Notes: Linked to Stretching (-0), not vs. same target (-0)

Everyman skills

1) Language

2) AK 8-

3) PS 8-

4) Stealth 8-

5) Shadowing 8-

6) Persuasion 8-

7) Paramedics 8-

8) Deduction 8-

9) Conversation 8-

10) Concealment 8-

11) Climbing 8-

12) Acting 8-

TALENTS

2 Eidetic Memory (5 Active Points); Limited Power (Written matter only; -1)

Notes: He's an actor, duh!

3 Absolute Time Sense

174 Total Characteristics Points

123 Total Powers Cost

48 Total Skills Cost

5 Total Talents Cost

DISADVANTAGES

Common Ralia Disadvantages

25 1) Hunted: Mystery Hunted(s), More Powerful, 14- (Very Frequently), Harshly Punish

20 2) Distinctive Features: T1000 body, marks him as an Outsider, Concealable, Extreme Reaction, Detectable By Commonly-Used Senses

10 3) Physical Limitation: Knows nothing of Ralia, Frequently, Slightly Impairing

15 4) Psychological Limitation: Code vs. Killing, Common, Strong

15 5) Social Limitation: Secret ID, Frequently (11-), Major

15 Psychological Limitation: Fear of crowds, Common, Strong

15 Psychological Limitation: Overconfidence, Very Common, Moderate

10 Psychological Limitation: Highly Competitive, Common, Moderate

Quirks

1 1) Blinks one eye at a time

1 2) Nauseated by salami

1 3) Drinks beer warm

1 4) Enjoys poetry

1 5) Likes to go for walks

10 Vulnerability: Acids, Uncommon, Vulnerability Multiplier (2x STUN)

10 Enraged: When innocents are injured, Common, go 8-, recover 14-

150 Total Disadvantages Cost

Appearance: Chrome is a liquid metal humanoid. "Mercury" might have been a better name, but Stine Tiven had gotten used to being called "Chrome Dome" before his transformation. Now his name reminds him of his lost home, family, and friends.

Story: Stine Tiven was one of three Cireans remaining after the Dutok destroyed their homeworld. The Dutok, an insanely xenophobic race, wiped out many races before Civilization responded by eliminating the Dutok.

Civilization offered physical restructuring to the survivors of the Dutok genocides. It was felt that granting them Level 6 status would help these refugees better survive as they became citizens of the Galaxy.

When his time came, Stine chose to become Chrome. Perhaps he chose to become an invulnerable "brick" to make up for feeling impotent during his capture - or perhaps it goes deeper, back to the taunts he endured as he pursued a career in the theatre. Whatever, Chrome doesn't talk about it.

Welcome to Team F-up. The speeds of the current PCs are 4, 5, & 5. Total PD averages around 20. The CV ranges from 6-10 with levels. Attacks are between 60 and 80 active points. The PCs have 2 years of xp though. If you need more points in your build, I can be reasonable. I don't want you sitting combat in recovery land for your first few story arcs.

Just a few comments on your multi-power...

45 Stretching Powers: Multipower, 45-point reserve As this is your big offensive list, try to use every one of the 45 points for each power.

3u 1) Spiky Body: Killing Attack - Ranged 1d6, Damage Shield (+1/2), Continuous (+1) (37 Active Points); No Knockback (-1/4)I'd drop the damage shield & continuous and bring it up to 3d6

2u 2) Squeezing Through Cracks: Desolidification (40 Active Points); Cannot Pass Through Solid Objects (-1/2), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4)I like this a lot.

2u 3) Natural Weaponry: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 1d6+1 (2d6+1 w/STR), Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (25 Active Points) maybe AP?

1u 4) Big Fist: Hand-To-Hand Attack +3d6, Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (19 Active Points); Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2) Pump this up to a bigger DC

4u 5) Shapeshifting: Shape Shift (Sight, Radio and Touch Groups, any shape) (36 Active Points) Cool.

2u 6) Body Barrier: Force Wall (8 PD/6 ED) (Opaque Sight Group) (45 Active Points); Feedback (-1), No Range (-1/2)fine

2u 7) Wraparound: Entangle 4d6, 4 DEF (40 Active Points); No Range (-1/2), Cannot Form Barriers (-1/4)you could keep this or go the "Grab STR" way. It's up to you.

Updated version of my character. I'm wondering if I added too much defense with the Damage Reduction, Armor, and the Regen?

Amoeba Man

Player: 

Val	Char	Cost
15	STR	5
25	DEX	45
21	CON	22
15	BODY	10
16	INT	6
12	EGO	4
13	PRE	3
14	COM	2

7/17	PD	4
7/16	ED	3
5	SPD	15
10	REC	6
42	END	0
34	STUN	0

7"	RUN	2
2"	SWIM	0
3"	LEAP	0
Characteristics Cost: 127

Cost	Power
13	Armor (7 PD/6 ED) (20 Active Points); Costs Endurance (-1/2)
5	Compound Mind: Mental Defense (7 points total)
45	Malleable Body: Stretching 6", Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2) (45 Active Points)
4	Pseudopods: Extra Limb (1) (5 Active Points); Costs Endurance (Only Costs END to Activate; -1/4) [Notes: however many he wants]
10	Reflexive Dodge: +3 with DCV (15 Active Points); Costs Endurance (-1/2)
7	Regeneration: Healing 1 BODY, Reduced Endurance (0 END; +1/2), Persistant (+1/2) (20 Active Points); Extra Time (Regeneration-Only) 1 Turn (Post-Segment 12) (-1 1/4), Self Only (-1/2)
20	Rubbery Body: Physical Damage Reduction, 50%
20	Rubbery Body: Energy Damage Reduction, 50%
45	Stretching Powers: Multipower, 45-point reserve
3u	1)  Big Fist: Hand-To-Hand Attack +7d6, Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4) (44 Active Points); Hand-To-Hand Attack (-1/2)
2u	2)  Body Barrier: Force Wall (7 PD/7 ED) (Opaque Sight Group) (45 Active Points); Feedback (-1), No Range (-1/2)
1u	3)  Molding to Surfaces: Clinging (normal STR) (10 Active Points); Costs Endurance (-1/2), Cannot Resist Knockback (-1/4)
4u	4)  Natural Weaponry: Killing Attack - Hand-To-Hand 1 1/2d6 (2d6+1 w/STR), Reduced Endurance (1/2 END; +1/4), Armor Piercing (+1/2) (44 Active Points)
4u	5)  Shapeshifting: Shape Shift  (Sight, Radio and Touch Groups, any shape) (36 Active Points)
1u	6)  Squeezing Through Cracks: Desolidification  (40 Active Points); Does Not Protect Against Damage (-1), Cannot Pass Through Solid Objects (-1/2), Concentration (1/2 DCV; -1/4)
1u	7)  Wraparound: +30 STR (30 Active Points); No Figured Characteristics (-1/2), Only to Grab, Escape, and Crush (-1/2)
Powers Cost: 185

Cost	Skill
3	Disguise 12-
3	Streetwise 12-
3	Breakfall 14-
3	Concealment 12-
3	KS: History 12-
3	Mimicry 12-
3	Power: Stretching Stunts 11-
2	CK: New York 11-
5	+1 with HTH Combat
3	Contortionist 14-
Skills Cost: 31

Cost	Perk
1	False Identity
Perks Cost: 1

Cost	Talent
6	Combat Luck (3 PD/3 ED)
Talents Cost: 6

Total Character Cost: 350

Pts.	Disadvantage
10	Distinctive Features:  Detects as Mutant Not Concealable, Always Noticed, Detectable Only By Unusual Senses
10	Dependent NPC:  Sister Jennifer Bloom 8- (Normal)
10	Physical Limitation:  No Sense of Smell (Frequently, Slightly Impairing)
20	Hunted:  VIPER 8- (Mo Pow, NCI, Capture)
10	Hunted:  Kane Biotech 8- (As Pow, Capture)
5	Money:  Poor
20	Psychological Limitation:  Code vs killing (Common, Total)
20	Psychological Limitation:  Needs to Prove Self (Very Common, Strong)
20	Psychological Limitation:  Protective of Innocents (Very Common, Strong)
15	Social Limitation:  Secret ID (Frequently, Major)
10	Social Limitation:  Bookworm (Frequently, Minor)
Disadvantage Points: 150
Base Points: 200
Experience Required: 0
Total Experience Available: 0
Experience Unspent: 0

For me the basic "rule of thumb" is DR x1/2 should have PD and ED at or a little above the games average DC so if it's 12DC then have 12 to 15 PD and / or ED with enough resistant to keep from soiling the carpets with your blood.Say 5 to 10 points resistant depending on the game......to compare with other chars, DR x1/2 is like have twice as much defence more or less so if others have 18 to 24 you should have 9 to 12, (and some Regen..:))

If you’re going to stick with the armor, I’d lose the Combat Luck, and lose the ‘costs End’ on the armor. 6/6 armor will stop most bullets and slow down bigger attacks to a point where your regeneration should be able to handle them.

You’re going to be pretty hard to put down. High DCV, not terrible defense, and damage reduction on top of it. Beware of mobs, though.

7d6 HA seems a bit much for the punch effect. I’d make it 4d6 tops. You can justify No End, though, since you’ve taken it on the stretching.

I know you really want it, but I’d lose the Mental Defense and buy either some of the weirder life supports or an enhanced sense to reflect the ‘compound mind’ thing.

The Force Wall is going to be real small. An unexpanded force wall is only 3 sides of a hex.

The Multipower might work better so:

46 Streching Tricks! 46 pt Multipower

2u (30) Big Fist 4d6 HA, No End (+1/2), HA (-1/2)

3u (30) Natural Weaponry 1d6+1 HKA, (2d6+1 w’ Str) No End (+1/2)

2u (40) Go Squishy Desolidification, Does Not Protect Against Energy (-1/2), Cannot Pass Through Solid Objects[/b] (-1/2), Concentration: 1/2 DCV (-1/4)

1u (10) Molding To Surface Clinging, Not Vs. Knockback (-1/4)

1u (6) Go With The Flow +6†Superleap

4u (36) Shapeshifting Shape Shift (Sight, Radio and Touch Groups, any shape)

2u (46) Body Barrier Force Wall, 6 PD/6 ED, Opeque to Sight Group (10), +3†size, Feedback (-1), No Range (-1/2)

9m (45) Wraparound +45 Str, only to Grab, Escape, and Crush (-1/2)

That will let you use the clinging, the superleap, and the ‘weapon’ options at the same time. By making the Wraparound a meta instead of an ultra, you can still use most of it while moving or clinging. And the Delsolid now lets you do the ‘Sandman Trick’ with incoming punches.

*(I don’t think you can take ‘No Figured Characteristics’ for stats in a multipower. I wouldn’t allow it, anyway)

That will give you a 3 (Str)+ 4 (HA) + 2 (Streching) =9d6 punch. That’s a bit weak, but that’s ok. You’re main attack is going to be grabbing and SQUEEZING!!! 3 + 9 = 12d6 Crush. And with the Extra Limbs & Streching, once you’ve got a hold on one person, you can grab another, and start squeezing HIM, too. Continue until you run out of End. :)

To be really scary, add (outside the multipower)

10 You Can’t Get Away! +20 Str, No End (+1/2), No Figured Characteristics (-1/2) Only to Hold A Grabbed Target (-1)

and

6 +2 w Grab, Grab By, and Crush (Remember, 2 3 pt skill levels can add +1d6 damage)

That’s tough, but I’d allow it. (-1 might be to much for the ‘only to hold’ bit, though.

To be REALLY disgusting, add a ‘Putting Myself Back Together!’ Self Only Healing slot in the multipower. You’re GM may throw stuff at you if you try, though. :)

I still think a vulnerability/susceptibility to fire or sonics would be appropriate . . .

---

“I didn’t want to do this. I mean, I _REALLY_ didn’t want to do this! But you’ve left me no choice!â€

I like it but as a GM, I'd be a bit weary about the Armor with Costs END. Does it Cost END when you want it on? Only on the phases when you're hit? For each time you're hit? It may be better to take an extra level of Combat Luck and/or put some points in Damage Resistance (but not too much).

You may want to see if you can get your DmgRed resistant as well (or see if the GM will allow you to purchase it in the future).

If you need to save a couple of points, change the Regeneration to Rapid Healing; the latter is you gain 1 BODY for every hour you're resting/relaxing. Not as cool as Regeneration, but a good night's sleep and you're A-OK. :)

I'm not a fan of the killing attack, but it's your character not mine. (Don't let anyone try to convince you otherwise!) Still, it's great as a first character. I've seen those that wouldn't last one phase in combat (low DCV, low defenses, less than 30 STUN). :thumbup:

I like it. I think the "cost end" on the armour is a bit weird, but I get what you're trying to do. He needs to expend extra effort to bounce bullets.

If you don't mind, I'll replace the Viper hunted with a group from our campaign. I see several plot hooks in your background and I can fit you into our next arc easily.

I have a house rule on new builds: if you haven't used it in game, you can rework it. We also give new players a shakedown period, sort of like a drop/add period in school.

What I was trying to do with the Armor was demonstrate that through effort he can become a more armored version of himself, at the time I was thinking something like rocky Thing armor on parts of his body, but it tires him to maintain that form. I did give some thought to dropping the Armor and adding another level of Combat Luck, but the Armor seemed to fit the character more. This is something that I might have to see in action before deciding if I like it or if I'm always finding myself low on END. Making the Damage Reduction non-resistant was purely a points decision. Right now they cost 20 pts apiece. If I want them resistant they would cost me 30pts each.

I see the Big Fist power as more of a "I'm changing my hand/arm into (insert big blunt object here) and am smashing that guy" type power. Maybe +7d6 is too much. Maybe I should reduce it and add something else to that power. I don't have a rulebook with me right now but is there an advantage that increases knockback?

One thing I wasn't sure about for my disadvantages was if Secret ID would really apply to a shape shifter. One with a false ID no less. Taking the vulnerability/susceptibility to fire feels too much like Martian Manhunter for me. I'll use the vulnerability/susceptibility to sonics as a backup if my GM says the secret ID isn't limiting.

If you don't mind, I'll replace the Viper hunted with a group from our campaign. I see several plot hooks in your background and I can fit you into our next arc easily.

I have a house rule on new builds: if you haven't used it in game, you can rework it. We also give new players a shakedown period, sort of like a drop/add period in school.

I appreciate the house rule and shakedown period, as I'm sure there's going to be something I'd like to change about my character after the first few sessions. I figured the Viper Hunted might need to be changed so I have no problem with you changing it.

Thanks again to everyone for the help. :)

Actually, I guess maybe it isn’t too much after all, if that’s the way you’d prefer to do it. I’ve not blinked at +8d6 ‘flat of the sword’ attacks, after all. (The +8d6 ‘rifle butt’ from that old 4e bad guy was too much, though. :))

I liked the idea more of ‘grabbing and SQEEZING!!,' but the other way works just as well. It’s you’re character, after all, not mine. :)

---

I still think you should have a power called ‘Go Squishy.’ I don’t care what it does, I just like the name. :)

Wow! How refreshing is it to see a player who's worried about his DEF being too high?! :)

I think this character looks great. To answer your KB question, yes, there is a 2X Knockback advantage that costs +3/4 (I think it's a Yield sign advantage, so you might need GM approval on it) so if you want to lower the damage dice in your Big Fist attack, but increase it's effectiveness w/ 2X KB, that's definitely a good way to go.

You'll want to get an idea what the average starting offensive power DC's are in the particular campaign you're joining, as 10d6 (your 15 STR + 7d6 HA) would actually be just a little below starting average in the campaigns I've played in - most started w/ 12d6 being the standard entry-level EB. Now, personally, I think 10d6 w/out any advantages should be fine, and from a balance perspective, it's always nice to have one area that your character needs to rely on his/her teammates on. With all the cool, unique powers you've got, you should be able to hold your own defensively - unless you get mobbed, as stated earlier. Out of combat, you've got some highly useful skills and the ability to pour yourself through a crack in the wall is never to be overrated. So, if you aren't able to dish out as much pain as the brick or the energy projector, I wouldn't sweat it. You've built a great concept, not just an effective character, and I think he'll be a lot of fun to play.

Man... now I want to make a metamorph!!

What I was trying to do with the Armor was demonstrate that through effort he can become a more armored version of himself' date=' at the time I was thinking something like rocky Thing armor on parts of his body, but it tires him to maintain that form. I did give some thought to dropping the Armor and adding another level of Combat Luck, but the Armor seemed to fit the character more. This is something that I might have to see in action before deciding if I like it or if I'm always finding myself low on END. Making the Damage Reduction non-resistant was purely a points decision. Right now they cost 20 pts apiece. If I want them resistant they would cost me 30pts each.[/quote']

You want Force Field not Armor. As the power is by your definition non persistent and highly visible that is classic Force Field. Add a +1/4 Costs END only to activate and it is golden. Plus it legally fits in an EC now. :cool:

I see the Big Fist power as more of a "I'm changing my hand/arm into (insert big blunt object here) and am smashing that guy" type power. Maybe +7d6 is too much. Maybe I should reduce it and add something else to that power. I don't have a rulebook with me right now but is there an advantage that increases knockback?

Yes, as Templar said, you can buy the Double Knockback a variety of ways either as a Hand Attack or as a Naked Advantage on your STR.

One thing I wasn't sure about for my disadvantages was if Secret ID would really apply to a shape shifter. One with a false ID no less. Taking the vulnerability/susceptibility to fire feels too much like Martian Manhunter for me. I'll use the vulnerability/susceptibility to sonics as a backup if my GM says the secret ID isn't limiting.

Secret ID is always limiting. Just because Shifterguy can assume the form of anyone/thing does not mean that he wants the world to know that he is Molly McJekins in reak life. I mean then he'll get stares as he enters the men's room at base. :nonp:

Hawksmoor