Give me your house rules!

Susano

Re: Give me your house rules!

Another thing on just plain speeding up combat....

Dunno if you players are long term HERO players or not, but make sure they know how to count thier dice.... make groups that total 10 - Match 6s & 4s pairs of fives, 6,3,1 ect... that speeds things up very much at our table.

Also is the quick way to count body: Take the dice rolled and for every 6 there is without a 1, add one, and alternately for every 1 there is without a 6, subtract one.

Tricks most experienced HERO players know, but in teaching the people newer to the system, that can cut time off calculating the numbers, and let the players stay focused on the game.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another thing on just plain speeding up combat....

Dunno if you players are long term HERO players or not, but make sure they know how to count thier dice.... make groups that total 10 - Match 6s & 4s pairs of fives, 6,3,1 ect... that speeds things up very much at our table.

Also is the quick way to count body: Take the dice rolled and for every 6 there is without a 1, add one, and alternately for every 1 there is without a 6, subtract one.

Tricks most experienced HERO players know, but in teaching the people newer to the system, that can cut time off calculating the numbers, and let the players stay focused on the game.

One Body method I use is take the number of Dice Rolled, add the number of sixes you see, subtract the number of ones and you have the Body Done.

5 Dice, 2 6s and 1 One = 5+2-1 = 6 Body.

That and for helping new ppl and speeding up combat I use the following formula for attacking: 11+OCV+Modifiers-DieRoll = DCV Hit. With that a player can just state what DCV they hit..

One Body method I use is take the number of Dice Rolled, add the number of sixes you see, subtract the number of ones and you have the Body Done.

5 Dice, 2 6s and 1 One = 5+2-1 = 6 Body.

Yeah that is a more succint way of saying what I was trying to get across. That will teach me to try and post wtihin minutes after I get up.

*sigh*

One of my preferred house rules: no megascale on movement powers. I can't stand it.

I also would like to eliminate END from the game. What I'd like to see: For tiring powers a side effect that drains STUN.

I also like Nucleon's version of killing attacks, but I'd like to play and try them first.

Pardon my not adding much to the discussion, don't do much in houserules for combat....

But I have to comment on the irony of someone suggesting something for Susano that might be found in Ninja Hero. :eek::D

Well, you know...It might've been the old 4th edition version of Ninja Hero! I don't remember.

But in either case, my version differes from the published version slightly, which is why I posted it :wink:

Here is my rough draft of house rules. Not all are good for everyone, but they create the kind of metahuman play I desire.

The "END as set regulator" is a brand new adaption we are trying out. To simplify game play and character construction for new players, without eliminating complex builds for more experienced players. It has downstream effects I have not fully catalogued yet (eliminating FF as a separate power from Armor is one) so I would suggest playing with this only if you desire to tinker as you play.

Here is my rough draft of house rules. Not all are good for everyone, but they create the kind of metahuman play I desire.

The "END as set regulator" is a brand new adaption we are trying out. To simplify game play and character construction for new players, without eliminating complex builds for more experienced players. It has downstream effects I have not fully catalogued yet (eliminating FF as a separate power from Armor is one) so I would suggest playing with this only if you desire to tinker as you play.

Keep us updated on the "END as Set Regulator" - I am interested in trying that out as well.

Pardon my not adding much to the discussion, don't do much in houserules for combat....

But I have to comment on the irony of someone suggesting something for Susano that might be found in Ninja Hero. :eek::D

Could be worse. Could be the time someone recommended me to my very own website....

I quote Rage: "Who do you think you're talking to?"

Here is my rough draft of house rules. Not all are good for everyone' date=' but they create the kind of metahuman play I desire.[/quote']

Thanks RDU Neil. I like a lot of what I see here and have marked some as possible "house rules" for future play. Of course, it will also depend on what we end up playing. KAZEI 5 has far different house rules than say... Student Warrior University.

Could be worse. Could be the time someone recommended me to my very own website....

I quote Rage: "Who do you think you're talking to?"

That's the ultimate compliment though isn't it... I remember once I was going out looking for information on a band and end up back at my own website thinking "Hey! someone stole my desi.. oh."

That's the ultimate compliment though isn't it... I remember once I was going out looking for information on a band and end up back at my own website thinking "Hey! someone stole my desi.. oh."

I did get a good laugh out of it, especially since the guy was thought the site was really cool.

Keep us updated on the "END as Set Regulator" - I am interested in trying that out as well.

So far it is fine. For already created characters, you look at their max level attack (without pushing) and make sure they have END equal to the Active Points of this attack. Normally ok... just with Martial Artist types, you have to look for sneaky Hand Attacks and Martial Damage Classes which might not be as apparent as 14d6 EB.

Most 300-400 point characters have 60 -70 END to cover their attacks... often saving points by getting BACK points from all the 1/2 END or Zero END they'd bought.

The only real down stream "game change" is that for defenses... Force Field becomes broken with free Zero END. I just chucked it as a power by itself... and if a character wants a Force Field like power... they buy Armor, and slap -1/4 Non Persistent on it. SFX... glowy field... good to go.

Really, we've had no problems with this, other than remembering to do slight re-writes on the many, many old characters that float around the Red Dragon Universe.

Yes RDUNeil how does working in Haymakers fit in with HERO Initiative. And I so agree with the silly nonsensical add-on capability of Dispel to break foci.

Hawksmoor

Haymakers happen at the end of the action round you declare it. First action... delare it... and it happens after all other first actions are done... but BEFORE second actions.

This works fine... but our group doesn't use Haymaker much. I think our Push rules take care of the need for Haymakers for the most part... at least that is what I think the reason is.

So far it is fine. For already created characters, you look at their max level attack (without pushing) and make sure they have END equal to the Active Points of this attack. Normally ok... just with Martial Artist types, you have to look for sneaky Hand Attacks and Martial Damage Classes which might not be as apparent as 14d6 EB.

Most 300-400 point characters have 60 -70 END to cover their attacks... often saving points by getting BACK points from all the 1/2 END or Zero END they'd bought.

The only real down stream "game change" is that for defenses... Force Field becomes broken with free Zero END. I just chucked it as a power by itself... and if a character wants a Force Field like power... they buy Armor, and slap -1/4 Non Persistent on it. SFX... glowy field... good to go.

Really, we've had no problems with this, other than remembering to do slight re-writes on the many, many old characters that float around the Red Dragon Universe.

Nice. I think I'm going to use that in my upcomming game. Thanks again.

EDIT: do you only allow them to use said amount of active points at a time, limited by their END? or just that their END is the max active points they can use in a single power?

Nice. I think I'm going to use that in my upcomming game. Thanks again.

EDIT: do you only allow them to use said amount of active points at a time, limited by their END? or just that their END is the max active points they can use in a single power?

END is the max DC or Active Points that can be used (without pushing) in a single power or framework slot. The main reason we went to this rule was to simplify game play and limit book keeping and the like. Having each player measure their AP limits is interesting (I like it conceptually) but would be a level of complication we probably wouldn't enjoy in play. YMMV.

Let me know how the rule plays out in your game.

The only House Rules we realy use are

Succor should not be bought 0END.

Good rule! I would agree that Succor bought to 0END (pr worse, Persistent), is far more powerful than an Aid. I might consider allowing it, with the proper limitations... but probably not.

Good rule! I would agree that Succor bought to 0END (pr worse' date=' Persistent), is far more powerful than an Aid. I might consider allowing it, with the proper limitations... but probably not.[/quote']

While I've never tested it, I'd think Succor bought to 0 END could be made to work in a reasonable manner. Here's my idea: give Succor bought to 0 END a "default" duration. I'm thinking one to five minutes, leaning towards one minute. This is long enough to be useful in a combat, but not quite usable for "I start my Succor (Everything I can do) power in the morning, and let it cover me all day." If you want to make it last longer, you buy an Advantage like Delayed Return Rate, only it makes the Succor last longer; perhaps start at +1/2 instead of +1/4. If one minute base seems too long, use one turn; at the strictest, a 0 END Succor that increases STR by 2d6 for one hour would cost:

Succor 2d6 [10] 0 END (+1/2), Delayed Return Rate - 1 hour (+1 1/4) [27]

and that seems reasonable to me. After all, if you want to slip in under the radar on this one, you use Only Costs END To Activate, which may fatigue you somewhat, but isn't technically 0 END. :sneaky:

I'm not saying at all that 0 End Succor can't be reasonable. I'm saying that all the examples of Succor becoming game breaking seem to incorporate 0 End (or End Only to Activate; whatever), and somehow the discussion over this type of construct comes up over and over and over and over again, always with the same basic conclusions. Succor by itself isn't all that abusable (aside from the ways Aid itself is). The combination is definitely and easily abusable.

Succor itself shouldn't have a, "stop sign." Succor with Reduced End Cost should. Doesn't mean you can't use it. Simply means WATCH OUT!