The Wild Bunch

death tribble

I got the DVD of the Original director's cut of this the other day.

It got me thinking. How would people convert the Bunch into Champions terms ? And by that I don't mean that they have to all have guns etc. And they would be operating nowadays.

And also I had heard that the Wild Bunch was based on a real life group but I have never found any proof of that including web searches. Anyone care to enlighten me ?

• 2 weeks later...

The problem with "The Wild Bunch" is that I don't think that they are "Individual" enough to translate into "Champions" terms. They are really just a bunch of tough outlaws, with something of a code of honour. Come to think of it maybe "The Magnificent Seven" would work better as "Champions" characters !

Re: The Wild Bunch

Originally posted by death tribble

...How would people convert the Bunch into Champions terms ? And by that I don't mean that they have to all have guns etc. And they would be operating nowadays. ...

My group used the Raiders--a villain team from Enemies 3 (and Classic Enemies, I think)--as sort of a modern day Wild Bunch. The Raiders weren't great characters IMHO, but the concept was good: mercenaries who'll take on villains or heroes, as long as the price is right. That's not exactly the Wild Bunch, but it's a similar approach for a Champions game.

Another approach would be a PC or NPC team that are definitely criminals (they pull heists, etc) but have high ethical standards of their own kind. They're loyal to each other, they don't kill innocents if they can avoid it, and they might even help out people who they think are getting treated unfairly.

Geez, it sounds a little like the A-Team! They are a good model for this sort of thing too. Just make them less ridiculous.

I have to agree with st barbara, The Wild Bunch don't exhibit enough personality to be written up as individuals.

There was a 4th Edition group of mercenaries called The Beserks and they had a Norse mythology theme. Many of them had a unique power (Loki had a flamethrower pistol, Jotun was huge and very strong), although a couple were curiously bland, IIRC. What I cannot remember is which book they were in; I have a vague idea that it was one of the Dark Champions books, but couldn't say for sure.

I'd have thought that the Raiders were a little more like the A-Team, especially the big, strong guy who was good at mechanics. However, Uncle Shecky is right in that they were true mercenaries.