Iron Heroes' Token System

DeadlyUematsu

Re: Iron Heroes' Token System

As I understand it (I own Iron Heroes but haven't read it thoroughly, and not at all since starting my 101 Days of Hero project), certain classes and Feats allow a character to undertake a non-attack option and accumulate tokens, which can then be cashed in for greater effects. For instance, an Archer (a class in IH) can spend rounds aiming and accumulating tokens which can then be spent in a number of ways (armor-piercing shot, long distance shot, crippling shot, etc.) the Armiger (a class which specializes in fighting in heavy armor) gets tokens for standing in and taking blows on his armor without retaliating, which he can convert to devastating attacks.

OK, so the easiest way to do this is levels with time delay (or a custom limitation). Extra CSLs can't be used for AP or other benefits but can be used for extra damage or aimed shots. That works pretty much as well, since both options allow you to do extra damage (ie: devastating attacks) or hit things at longer range.

Next easiest would simply to apply the extra time limitation to Talents.

OTOH, the combat maneuvers alreday avaialable in Hero simulate a lot of this anyway with, brace, set, sweeps and haymakers. You have to ask - is it worthwhile? In hitpoint based systems, "standing and taking it" is one thing. In Hero system, that's much more likely to result in a KO'd player.

cheers, Mark

As I understand it (I own Iron Heroes but haven't read it thoroughly' date=' and not at all since starting my 101 Days of Hero project), certain classes and Feats allow a character to undertake a non-attack option and accumulate tokens, which can then be cashed in for greater effects. For instance, an Archer (a class in IH) can spend rounds aiming and accumulating tokens which can then be spent in a number of ways (armor-piercing shot, long distance shot, crippling shot, etc.) the Armiger (a class which specializes in fighting in heavy armor) gets tokens for standing in and taking blows on his armor without retaliating, which he can convert to devastating attacks.[/quote']

That makes for a nasty little bugger.

Naked Power Advantages are a Special Power that cannot be built in a Power Framework without permission. This is a case where I think it is needed. But alas, my head hurts to much for more development into this. I'll see if I can think of something later.

OK, so the easiest way to do this is levels with time delay (or a custom limitation). Extra CSLs can't be used for AP or other benefits but can be used for extra damage or aimed shots. That works pretty much as well, since both options allow you to do extra damage (ie: devastating attacks) or hit things at longer range.

Next easiest would simply to apply the extra time limitation to Talents.

OTOH, the combat maneuvers alreday avaialable in Hero simulate a lot of this anyway with, brace, set, sweeps and haymakers. You have to ask - is it worthwhile? In hitpoint based systems, "standing and taking it" is one thing. In Hero system, that's much more likely to result in a KO'd player.

cheers, Mark

Yeah, completely agree. A lot of it sounds like hoop-jumping to accomplish things the more robust HERO System combat mechanics allow to all characters for free. The remainder can be modeled with a wide variety of affects, ranging from the limited Combat Levels Mark mentions, Martial Manuevers (some of which might make use of the "Must Follow" restriction), Talents, and possibly Powers depending on the specific effects.

If on the other hand the desire is to mimic the actual "token collection" feel, which is a little too meta for my tastes but might be the intention, then you might consider some odd constructs to produce that feel.

As an odd coincidence, I just put up a page for a custom Power Framework Im calling a "Threshold Scale" this weekend. Its still getting tweaked based upon input, but the basic idea could definitely be used to affect a "Token" based idea. In fact, one of the suggested changes Im going to be making to it is a Limitation whereby use of Power slots in a Threshold Scale depletes the Threshold Scale, which would be a perfect match for the token gathering/spending idea.

The write up is here:

http://www.killershrike.com/GeneralHERO/ThresholdFramework.htm

and expect updates this weekend when I have time to type them up.

Yeah, completely agree. A lot of it sounds like hoop-jumping to accomplish things the more robust HERO System combat mechanics allow to all characters for free. The remainder can be modeled with a wide variety of affects, ranging from the limited Combat Levels Mark mentions, Martial Manuevers (some of which might make use of the "Must Follow" restriction), Talents, and possibly Powers depending on the specific effects.

If on the other hand the desire is to mimic the actual "token collection" feel, which is a little too meta for my tastes but might be the intention, then you might consider some odd constructs to produce that feel.

As an odd coincidence, I just put up a page for a custom Power Framework Im calling a "Threshold Scale" this weekend. Its still getting tweaked based upon input, but the basic idea could definitely be used to affect a "Token" based idea. In fact, one of the suggested changes Im going to be making to it is a Limitation whereby use of Power slots in a Threshold Scale depletes the Threshold Scale, which would be a perfect match for the token gathering/spending idea.

The write up is here:

http://www.killershrike.com/GeneralHERO/ThresholdFramework.htm

and expect updates this weekend when I have time to type them up.

As usual, excellent work there KS.

Been a while since I repped you. There you go :P

As I understand it (I own Iron Heroes but haven't read it thoroughly' date=' and not at all since starting my 101 Days of Hero project), certain classes and Feats allow a character to undertake a non-attack option and accumulate tokens, which can then be cashed in for greater effects. For instance, an Archer (a class in IH) can spend rounds aiming and accumulating tokens which can then be spent in a number of ways (armor-piercing shot, long distance shot, crippling shot, etc.) the Armiger (a class which specializes in fighting in heavy armor) gets tokens for standing in and taking blows on his armor without retaliating, which he can convert to devastating attacks.[/quote']

Hmm. How about...

Aid: Nd6, Can Apply Adders and Advantages;

Variable Effect: One Power Appropriate to Concrete Circumstances, One at a Time (+1/4);

Extra Time: 1 Turn

Or something like that.